I think I need a half stack. but am really just looking for the best sound I can get from a head unit and amp for a grand total of $1000.00.

Let me know what you think.

I play more of an alternative, punk, rock sound. I don't know if that matters when choosing one.

I've played Guitar for a year come July and just don't really know jack about equipment, what gives the best tone all around, what gives the most bang for my buck. Etc.

Thanks.
You won't get a nice halfstack for that money and you probably won't need one either. My Peavey 6505+ halfstack never goes past 2 live. If you spend all the money on a 30 or 50 watt tube combo, you'll get a much nicer amp and it'll be loud enough for live use, especially if you mic it to the PA
ohai little sig.
you won't need a half stack.
I played a gig on friday and had my 100watt Valve King 212 on 2.
so...maybe a Valveking would do the job...
cause I play alternative,punk,rock....and VK is great
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Yeah, hafstacks are just a bit too unruly for most live use, however, they have a sound that no other amp type can reproduce. So if the reason you want a halfstack is because you want that massive, thick, ticht bottom end that they do so damn well, then I'd suggest saving more money and going for something like a Peavey XXX or 6505 or a newer Marshall, those styles are some of the few tones that the JCM2000's do quite well.

But if you just want an amp with a good, tight tone for live gigging, look at some 2x12 combos like what's been suggested, the 6505 is a killer amp for the cash and the ValveKings can rock just as hard as amps that cost twice as much.
a vox ac30(used) or orange rocker 30(also used) should work pretty well for the styles of music, i wouldn't recommend going for a marshall in this price range (or any for that matter*unless its vintage*)

edit: why so many metal amp reccomendations? for punk, rock, and alternative he is going to need some useable cleans
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Last edited by latinosuperstud at Jun 23, 2008,
Quote by latinosuperstud
a vox ac30(used) or orange rocker 30(also used) should work pretty well for the styles of music, i wouldn't recommend going for a marshall in this price range (or any for that matter*unless its vintage*)

ahh yeah, I just checked the prices, the 2000s are a bit out of the price range, and anything non-valve from marshall aint worth a scrap of nipple filings
If you really don't know what kind of tone you're looking for then you've got to shop around, but I'd be looking primarily at 30-50W tube combos. Of the ones that have been mentioned so far, the Orange Rocker 30 would probably give you a much better Marshall-y tone than the DSL, especially since the combo's speakers suck. The Traynor YCV50 Blue is another Marshall clone to keep an eye out for.

You could also look at a Mesa in that price range, a lot of modern rock and punk bands use them and they're actually quite versatile. In that price range, you're looking at an F30 or F50, a Rect-o Verb combo, a Mark IV, or maybe a Lonestar. It'd be better to look at them used though, since they're not sold (new) over the internet and going used gives you a lot more options.