some of u may know me as the guy whos too lazy to learn theory...........well part of that is true

but man there is SO much information to sift through, I dont even know where im at in my development

but after visiting justin's guitar i realized that since all of that stuff such as chords, scales, and arpeggios etc.........all count as theory, i'd already knew a decent amount due to all the printouts which i still have by the way...

anyway the question is mainly for scales... i know the shapes, and i can play them fairly well, but how do i go about applying the knowledge and the same also goes for most of theory, its not that i dont know it its just I dont get how to apply it

any help in this greatly appreciated
Your question is a very broad one, as there are many ways to teach theory and some are better than others. Here is a site that might head you in the right direction. As you probably are beyond basic take a look at the modal lessons (scales). In those set of lessons there are key construction, modal theory, modal construction, mode formulas, how to use modes, analyzing a song (very important for theory and ear training), etc. The advance section isn't completed yet but as I say it will head you in the right direction.
This is the area where a good guitar teacher can make all the difference. My old guitar teacher got me to bring in some of the music I was into, then he showed me the theory behind those styles. So in a sense, he went backwards and it's the only way I could stand to learn the stuff. Now I can't get enough, I eat theory up like some sort of tasty... thing.

I find Joe Satriani has a LOT of great things to say on the topic, so youtube him and check it out.
Quote by Weybl Himself
I find Joe Satriani has a LOT of great things to say on the topic, so youtube him and check it out.

Yep Satriani sure knows his theory inside and out. Also what you describe your teacher doing with you bringing in a piece of music to analyze is probably the best way to learn practical theory. I remember having to analyze whole orchestral pieces in college and notating what each notes place was within the music (passing tone, leaning tone, modulating tone/triad, pedal point, etc..etc.)
Just start with some background reading, the Crusade articles jy Josh Urban in the colums section are really good.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com