Im stuck in my new song i wrote trying to figure out a great solo. Yes i am a punk rock bandleader, and i must know a good scale to make a good solo out of. Any ideas???? I was thinking the blues scale possibly, because i heard that Stricken (Disturbed, Ten Thousand Fists) was based on a blues scale, but my band is punk. Any scales to learn???
every scale is a good one and actually most metal is biased off of the blues scale so don't derive yourself away from it because it has the word "blues" learn some blues scales and then try your solo and working your progression out of it
Allso learn the different pentatonics
Quote by ealtdharkon
Sorry to break this to you, but you "hardcore" fans don't HAVE mosh pits.
You have epileptic line dancing.

Quote by NotTheSun3290
Well... I AM a virgin, afterall...
I thought every scale was good for a solo, as long as you use it right?

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

Quote by ItWillDo
I thought every scale was good for a solo, as long as you use it right?

of course thats true, BUT certain scales makes different moods, and will therefor fit better into certain song
Quote by ealtdharkon

Quote by NotTheSun3290
Is the A minor scale played on the A string decent if you put a jam over the notes? they are:

A-B-C-D-E-E#-F#-A(12)
Im trying a decent jam over that
and what pentatonic scale do you think would be good?
my theory is lil.. lacking :P so im not sure about that, i just know what im playing, and thats it x) sry i cant help u any further ^_^
Quote by ealtdharkon

Quote by NotTheSun3290
Quote by guitarheroII
Is the A minor scale played on the A string decent if you put a jam over the notes? they are:

A-B-C-D-E-E#-F#-A(12)
Im trying a decent jam over that
and what pentatonic scale do you think would be good?

The A natural minor scale is A B C D E F G, no sharps or flats. When you're writing diatonic scales out you only use each letter once.

Major or minor pentatonic will probably work well, depending on the context. They're the scales that most people begin learning to improvise with along with the blues scale. They should work well in a punk song. Once you're confident improvising with the pents, learn how they relate to the major and natural minor scales.
Someone gimme an example of a pentatonic scale that would be good, or a minor scale would be great, too.
Quote by guitarheroII
Someone gimme an example of a pentatonic scale that would be good, or a minor scale would be great, too.

What key is your song in?
Okay, if you changed the F# to a G, you would be in A minor. You might not even really have to change the note, you can leave it if you want. Or C major... What note does your song start on? Generally, the first note that you play is what key you're in. Since you clearly don't know this, the key that you're in is just the note that the song resolves to... like, try playing an A minor chord, then try playing, say, an E minor chord. You'll notice that you're waiting to hear the A minor chord again, if that makes any sense to you.

If you tabbed out the song for me I could help you a lot more.

So you could probably use A pentatonic minor... Then if you want to make your solo a little more interesting, you can use some notes from A natural minor too.
Last edited by iimjpii at Jun 23, 2008,