With so many tunings out there, how do you know which tuning to use when it comes to vocals?

I can sing along with cd's, but when it comes to recording my own stuff- my vocals just dont fit.

Anyone got any pointers/ tips?
Unless your vocal chords are somehow operate with the help of some strange electro-mechanical instrument lodged in your throat, there is no 'tuning' for vocals. =P

The vocals are either melody or harmony, and you write parts for them as you would any other instrument. Stick in the key, and there really isn't much that can go wrong if you have even the slightest ear for carrying a tune.
You mean you guys don't have machine heads coming out your necks? I just upgraded mine to locking schallers.
Quote by saphrax
Bit harsh I think! He comes back for the last 10 minutes against Roma, after being out all season, and you want him crippled again? You harsh wanker!

Aimed at me for saying I hope Gary Neville breaks all his limbs
maybe write the chords underneath first, then use a capo when singing them too see which key sounds best. If you want, you can change the chords around later to get rid of the capo....thats all i can suggest