I'm actually thinking of getting a new guitar this summer. I'm stuck between a Dean Hardtail select or a Jackson DK2M

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-Hardtail-Select-Electric-Guitar?sku=519946

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-DK2M-Dinky-Electric-Guitar?sku=517588

I actually got interested in shredding lately, so normally I would go for the Jackson, but to be honest I find playing on my classical guitar more comfortable because of then on my telecaster because of the wider fretboard(got fat fingers).

Another thing is I'm not sure wether I want a tremelo or not, as I basicly have 0% experience with them(can't test them at shops either since they never put the whammy bar on it)but then again I have an hardtail guitar already
Last edited by Jasdebi at Jun 23, 2008,
Do you change tunings a lot? If so, go with the Dean or a similar hardtail. If not, I'd go with the Jackson, just by virtue of it having better pickups. They're made of different woods, though, so they're quite different.
If you want to play some shred stuff but prefer thicker necks, you could look into the schecter hellraiser C1 with or with FR. Out of those two the dean is going to sound more mellow because of the mahogany body, the jackson a bit brighter. They are both good buitars so really cant go wrong.
Yamaha RGX 520FZ
Squier Affinitys Strat (customized!)
Johnson 620 Player Acoustic

Boss HM3 hyper metal
Boss CH1 super chorus
Zoom G1X

Peavey Valveking Royal 8
New: Peavey JSX Mini Collosal
Quote by HeliuM
If you want to play some shred stuff but prefer thicker necks, you could look into the schecter hellraiser C1 with or with FR. Out of those two the dean is going to sound more mellow because of the mahogany body, the jackson a bit brighter. They are both good buitars so really cant go wrong.

would love to try schecter, but they are hard to find and overpriced at where I live...
Yeh hes right about the Hellraiser.
But if your picking between a Dean or Jackson its kinda a choice of which you just prefer.
They are quite similiar.
Id pick the Jackson coz im a Jackson guy,hence why I own one.lol
go with the jackson, if you change tunings alot a FR isn't for you, unless you can deal with that guitar just being in one tuning, but if you decide you don't want a tremolo, go with the DK2T, it's a string through
i love my jackson, woudln't trade it for anything, i'll always have at least 1 jackson in my collection
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)