Say your jamming to a backing track in the Key of G, and you are using the G minor pentatonic. How do you know what notes are the right notes to use in the pentatonic scale? Are they all the right notes to use at any time or do they change when the cords change?
e---------------------------3-6--
B----------------------3-6-------
G-----------------3-5------------
D------------3-5-----------------
A-------3-5----------------------
E--3-6---------------------------

hope im not mistaking, its been a long time since the theory of pentatonic in my head
G minor pentatonic is

G Bb C D F

So play those notes anywhere on the fretboard and you're playing G minor pentatonic, if the chords fit the key of G minor then it'll work.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
G minor pentatonic is

G Bb C D F

So play those notes anywhere on the fretboard and you're playing G minor pentatonic, if the chords fit the key of G minor then it'll work.

It would also work if he was playing blues in G major.
Quote by steven seagull
G minor pentatonic is

G Bb C D F

So say the chord progression is G C D. Are you saying I can use the G minor pentatonic scale using any of it's notes randomly over the entire progression? Does this mean I do not have to keep track to the chord changes because all notes in the G minor pent will be the right notes to use over a G C D chord progression?
Quote by statocat
So say the chord progression is G C D. Are you saying I can use the G minor pentatonic scale using any of it's notes randomly over the entire progression? Does this mean I do not have to keep track to the chord changes because all notes in the G minor pent will be the right notes to use over a G C D chord progression?

Yup, G C and D are in the G minor pentatonic scale so it'll fit over those notes. As far as chord changes go the only thing you need to be mindful of is the notes you resolve on, ideally you want to follow the chord tones for that.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
As far as chord changes go the only thing you need to be mindful of is the notes you resolve on, ideally you want to follow the chord tones for that.

How do you do that?
Try to resolve on C over the C chord, G over the G chord, D over D etc. You don't have to do it, but it can help give your solo some structure.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
Try to resolve on C over the C chord, G over the G chord, D over D etc. You don't have to do it, but it can help give your solo some structure.

+1

Like steven said, you don't have to do this, but if you do it will not only give your solo more structure, it will also make it sound like you know what you're doing more so than if you just hit random notes in the scale.