ok so heres my question. i have an ibanez rg320 wired like this

http://ibanez.com/support/wiringdiagrams.aspx

i have a seymour duncan screamin demon for the bridge and an emg hz h3. both the emg and duncan have 5 wires while the stok iby pups are 3 wire. is there any other way to wire the new pups using the switch other than this?

http://ibanez.com/support/wiringdiagrams.aspx

im wanting it to still switch like the stock pickups (coil splitting). should i wire it like the S model schematic or is there a way to accomplish the coil selection i would like with twisting certain wires together on the duncan and wiring them like the original wiring for the rg? also im not understanding which terminal on the 5way selector are open (turned on) relative to the position of the switch. last question i can think of, on the 5 wire pups there is a north and south coil both with positive and negative
(duncan bridge as shown)

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=color_codes

(emg neck position model)pdf file

http://www.emginc.com/displayproducts.asp?section=Guitar&categoryid=17&catalogid=162

does it matter if the flow starts at positive or negative?should the circuit start on the slug coil and go clockwise from low e to high e? also does the flow stay the same on a neck postion pup? any help will be great!

jym
Last edited by jymellis at Jun 23, 2008,
follow the first diagram for the duncan... green (and bare) go to ground, red and white get soldered together and black is hot... that will give you your 3 wire configuration then just wire the pickup to the switch in the previous pups positions.

same goes with the EMG... just follow the schematic in the PDF (on the website) to wire it as a 2 conductor (3 wire) and put it in their respective locations.

If theyre the same as my Ibanez pups, red is hot, white is the series link and bare is ground.
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
ok so green and bare go to ground ( vol pot). my black will replace the red wire on the switch? and the duncan red and white will replace the white iby on the switch as the series link?

jym
yes, exactly... i learned this the other day when i was wiring 4 conductor into my S classic with 2 conductor pups

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
with the emg diagram they have hot as red negative and leaving green negative. but for the duncan it goes in black positive and leaves green positive. does it matter if it flows in positive or negative? also in the iby diagram should the hot from the emg go in the second tab on the selector and the negative on the third? or positive on the third and negative on the second?

thanks again

jym
does out of phase mean the hot is traveling into the pickup on different sides? if it is, what will it sound like with both pickups switched on when out of phase?

jym
if you wire the pickups backwards from one another you get an out of phase... it'll sound very low and thin

got it! im done. all soldered and getin ready to retune lol. went with both in series out of phase!! man i cant wait to get this thing tuned. it has a really odd sound when played with everything on.

thanks a whole lot man
jym
glad to hear i could help

closed up and tuned. decided i dont like out of phase so much. gonna go back in.

jym
The diagram down below shows how I just wired my '99 rg320. It's pretty close to how the newer Ibanez RGs are wired. They both use the same 5-way switch.

1)Neck humbucker
2)Neck humbucker in series (soft and sweet)
3)Bridge and Neck humbuckers
4)Split coils (N bridge and S neck)
5)Bridge humbucker

Or, if you want to keep the ibanez '99 style switching;
Twist Seymour's Red and White wires together and solder them where the Ibanez White wire was.
Then solder Seymour's Black where Ibanez Red was.
Last, twist and solder Seymour's Green and Bare wires where the Ibanez ground was.

BC's Ibanez Wiring, with 5-wire Seymour Duncan Pickups:
Attachments:
Ibanez rg320 diagram with 4 wire Seymour Duncan pickups (500p x 500p).gif
Last edited by BCmotors at Aug 30, 2011,