On my way home from cross country practice today, I bumped a curb turning out of the school. I live about a mile away so I just finished the drive home, but I heard a hissing and figured that I had hit the tire. I checked when I got home, and sure enough, a flat tire on the front-right.

Now, I need to break this news to my parents, who will likely be pretty upset. But how upset will they be? How much will it cost to buy a new tire and/or have the tire put onto the car? If this info helps, I drive a 2001 Honda Accord. I'm not sure what kind of tire it is but I'm sure it's nothing special.

Pit, I need your help. (I can't believe I'm saying this.)
and this moment keeps on movin'
we were never meant to hold on.
to be able to answer your Question

I need to know what colour it is...

but seriously, looks like your gonna need a new car...

I'm sorry
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Yeah, I figured I'd get a few replies like that, but hopefully someone can help a girl with no knowledge of cars out here.
why would your rents get upsety about a flat tyre?

Just say you must have hit a nail or something driving

and i wouldnt think it would cost that much? dont you carry a spare?
BEAT IT, BUT NOT IN FRONT OF CHILDREN YOU DIRTY C***!-Mel Gimpsuit
If I had to take a guess, i'd say between $70 and 100. Might be able to get it cheaper than that though. Also, you might get a better deal if you replace all four. Obviously no need for that if the other three are still in good condition.
yeah its not like its a 4x4 tyre, theyre expencive
don't listen to ZaccB
hes wrong

it will cost you the price of a tire which is about 150-300 dollars and then maybe 50-100 for laybor dont worry you wont need a new car
wait girls dont come to the Pit.....but anyway back on topic it depends on what kind of tires you want, hard or soft compound, if you want them filled with pure nitrogen or air just stuff like that, it probably wont be more then $200 though but if you drove home on a flat tire, you may have to get the rim trued, or rounded so that you wont have problems when the new tire seals to the rim
Quote by XCount Me InX
why would your rents get upsety about a flat tyre?

Just say you must have hit a nail or something driving

and i wouldnt think it would cost that much? dont you carry a spare?

I do carry a spare, but I always heard a spare tire wasn't supposed to be used as a real tire (plus I don't know how to change them).

^ And thanks for the estimate. 150-200$ is going to make them upset, but hopefully they won't kill me over it.
Quote by Acoustic_
I do carry a spare, but I always heard a spare tire wasn't supposed to be used as a real tire (plus I don't know how to change them).

^ And thanks for the estimate. 150-200$ is going to make them upset, but hopefully they won't kill me over it.

What's the point in a spare then?

Changin a tyre is easy.

Jack car
Unscrew bolts
Remove tyre,
Place new tyre,
screw bolts,
lower car,
?????
Profit!

Either way, a flat is a flat, I doubt your rents'll be too annoyed!
okay, it all depends on where the hole is. you can patch tires, if the hole is in the tread (the flat part that touches the road) you will not need a new tire. it will cost about 20 bucks at any decent shop to patch a tire. if you need a new tire....the 150-200 is a good estimate unless you can get a used tire from somewhere.
It depends, sometimes I run over a nail and I lose air pressure, but a mechanic can fix a small hole for like 10 to 15 dollars saving you the problem of having to replace it. If you actually tore up your tire though, you might just have to replace your tire. If I were you, I'd look at the tire and take down the name and number of the model and just look it up on the manufacturers website.
Thanks for the help, everyone.

When my parents wake up, I'll have to tell them the bad news, but you've helped me see that it isn't quite the disaster I thought it would be. Hopefully they'll split the costs with me or something and this mistake won't be too costly.

Edit: It's not a small hole, unfortunately. It's more like a gash up the side, and a lot of the air has let out.
I just had a flat about 1 month ago and for the tire and labour it was $85 canadian. IF this helps at all
Quote by LightxGrenade
It depends, sometimes I run over a nail and I lose air pressure, but a mechanic can fix a small hole for like 10 to 15 dollars saving you the problem of having to replace it.

that is true, but its not so good in the long run.....if you get a blow out....that can be faital
Quote by saphrax

Changin a tyre is easy.

Jack car
Unscrew bolts
Remove tyre,
Place new tyre,
screw bolts,
lower car,
?????
Profit!

yeah but you have to the bolts tightened rite because if you dont the tire can fall off going down the road and cause a wreck
Quote by Acoustic_
Yeah, I figured I'd get a few replies like that, but hopefully someone can help a girl with no knowledge of cars out here.

... Wait... your a girl... of course the pit can help

Say to your parent that you clipped the tyre and you think you might have burst it, take it to a garage and ask if they can repair it i.e. the way that they locate and fix the hole without replacing the full tyre. Realign tracking and voila fixed tyre.

If the puncture is too bad to repair it'll probs be about £60-£100 for a replacement. More if you buckled the actual metal tyre structure itself. You should get a spare as well, is it not illegal to not carry a spare tyre?

Quote by therealtater
yeah but you have to the bolts tightened rite because if you dont the tire can fall off going down the road and cause a wreck

...*facepalm*
Bought
Ibanez S520EX EMG 81+ 85
Boss MT-2
Weeping Demon Wah
To buy list
Dtech Whammy
Hughes & Kettner Trilogy
Last edited by Dithindious at Jun 23, 2008,
Quote by draco243
I just had a flat about 1 month ago and for the tire and labour it was $85 canadian. IF this helps at all

Is that about $85 in US dollars, too? I hope it comes out to be that low.

Edit: Like I said, I do have a spare. Isn't a spare tire only supposed to be used for like 70-80 miles, though? Or is everything I learned at driving school wrong (which is quite likely)?

My car is going in for an oil change Wednesday anyway, might they be able to fix the tire then, too?
Quote by XCount Me InX
that is true, but its not so good in the long run.....if you get a blow out....that can be faital

Yeah if you have like 15 on one tire lol, one or two and you're fine for the most part...at least I hope...gee thanks now I'm gonna be paranoid when I drive to school later today lol
Quote by saphrax

Changin a tyre is easy.

Jack car
Unscrew bolts
Remove tyre,
Place new tyre,
screw bolts,
lower car,
?????
Profit!

You change your tyres yourself??? Seems rather pointless if you don't have one of them machines. Unless you're talking bicycle tyres.

Edit: also, big difference between tyres and wheels. seems like you're talking about wheels.
I r Pirate!
haha sorry!
im sure itll be fine
Hopefully all will go well.

My mom got a flat a couple years back, so she has no right to yell at me.
Quote by duke_lion
You change your tyres yourself??? Seems rather pointless if you don't have one of them machines. Unless you're talking bicycle tyres.

Edit: also, big difference between tyres and wheels. seems like you're talking about wheels.

I am. I associate the action of changing a tyre and a wheel (from the aspect of driving a car, oops, there goes the tyre, let's put on the spare) as the same thing...
lol atleast you didnt reverse into a pillar in a car park and have to replace a tail light unit at £100 ($200)!

they cnat just changed the casing these days apparently ¬¬
I'll post an update or something later of how much I end up paying for anyone that cares..
your tire usually doesn't go flat after hitting a curb.. just tell your parents, and if they're mad, tell them you will pay half or full price for the tire exchange.
Quote by Nakon14

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Crate GTD65
Vox DA5
take it to a friend that is automotive friendly & see if they can patch it, and your parents shouldn't get al mad about a blown tire, its kind of some thing that comes with a car & your tire can blow out if u hit a curb, if it breaks the bead or u bend the rim, but u also have to remember theres a lot of junk in curbs like nails & glass & even dead squirls can pop your tire
Last edited by leleva at Jun 23, 2008,
just go buy the right tire and do it yourself , its easy and it will be cheaper
Go out to the car and look at the side of the tyre..... there should be the brand name eg. firestone, kenda, hangkook, bridgstone, pirelli, camac etc. And there should also be a size in the form of 3 numbers/2 numbers/2numbers. for example 195/65/16. I can find out for you if you get those details...
Quote by saphrax

Really? A spare tire isn't a replacement tire, only temporary which should be used to take the car to the auto shop or go get a tire yourself.

Oh and to the OP, changing your own tire isn't anything hard and I'll bet one of your parents know how if you want to save a few bucks.
Hi!

Sig Retired.
there should be a spare in there somewhere, unless it's already been used.
then take it to a shop and ask them how much a tyre costs!
??? Fund: cba to keep up with it.
will at least try when I get a jerb
੧_\\\

yours,

Alex (mcfreaki)
Quote by therealtater
u have to have a machine to seal the bead of the tire to the rim

No you dont.. a little bit of tyre paste... free from most garages and pumping the tyre does that......

And for all of you that think changing the tyre by yourself with no machinery is easy....your all wrong.... esp with an alloy... Okay with a steel rim u could prise it off eventually with a crow bar... but you will make sh1t of an alloy trying to take it off by yourself.. assuming you can get it off in the first place....... I live in Irelnd and i work on and off as a tyre fitter and where i work if you have the tyre they will fit it onto the wheel and then put the wheel onto the car for less than €20 roughly 30$
Quote by saphrax

It isn't supposed to be a replacement. It's just temporary so you can get your car somewhere to fix it. It's usually different than your regular tires.