Kirk Hammett Column on Guitar World, Let's collect all of his columns

I have Guitar World from November 1995. There's a Kirk Hammett column re guitar playing.
The Column title is "The Sound + The Fury". I think it's quite interesting for people who want to try and play Metallica's songs. If you have any please do a scan and post here. Here's the scan from Guitar World Nov. 1995.
(Invalid img)
Every Metallica solo is out of the same basic scale, and they generally have the same sound so master that scale and you've mastered Metallica.

Who DOESN'T know how to palm-mute? lol.
Let's not and say that we did. Or, better yet, let's not and never mention this again.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
A. We have a huge metallica thread.

B. I don't need Kirk Hammet's advice to play Metallica songs.
we dont need kirk, we need James!! get him out here, alot tighter than kirk.

they're kinda stupid to get kirk out for interviews when james is the one that pumps out the bone crushing rhythms. Kirk even admitted that they turn him down live so James can plough the rhythm and turn him up for solos when the time comes. I dont think kirk's that bad, hes one of my faves but theres no doubt that James is a tighter rhythm player.

Quote by dust and guilt

Every Metallica solo is out of the same basic scale, and they generally have the same sound so master that scale and you've mastered Metallica.

Not necessarily... the odd time Kirk pulls a different scale into play. He plays some Aeolian and Lydian licks in some of the Master of Puppets and Justice solos.
(Harvester of Sorrow and Orion + The Thing that Should Not Be I think)
Oh and he uses the Phygrian on Creeping Death alot.
Last edited by Superstrat101 at Jun 23, 2008,
I'm the only person who found that interesting then?

Thanks TS!
Quote by subopolois
you lazy cheap bastard

Gear:
ESP LTD M-50
Marshall G80RCD
Boss ME-50
Ernie Ball STHB

Kill Crazy of the Red Dwarf Smeg Heads!
Quote by bradwhiteuk
I'm the only person who found that interesting then?

Thanks TS!

I found it interesting as well, I just think it'd be better if they got James out every once in a while. Guess they automatically assume Kirk is the guitar mastermind of Metallica since he's the "Lead Guitarist". No one ever talks about James anymore lol
Well I kind of need it as I am a beginner. So, self-rightneousness apart if anyone can help finding these columns please help.
That was really interesting, actually. I didn't think about doing that with the pick for rhythm, or that neat way of dialing in the best EQ.

Quote by Dust_and_Guilt

Who DOESN'T know how to palm-mute? lol.

You fail. Get educated before running your mouth off about what you don't know.
Pretty interesting, the pick thing cleared my mind abit cause when i play i tend to sometimes my finger also it the strings... because of only a bit of pick sticking out.
Plus i angle my pick too so now i know im not screwing my sound/technique ^^
Quote by Reincaster
I once got shocked by a spider amp.

I got powers like spiderman did, except I model everyone else's powers poorly.

Quote by shredhead22
why not, i started using the zakk wylde boomers and now every third note i hit is a pinch harmonic

Meh. Dave Mustaine's column (called Symphony of Instruction) that's in GW currently is better for thrash rhythm playing, and Eric Peterson's (Practice What You Preach) is even better than Mustaine's. The EQ'ing tips were nice in this, though
Quote by Delanoir
You fail. Get educated before running your mouth off about what you don't know.

Well... Metallica DO more or less rehash licks in minor pentatonic scales for damn near every solo. GRANTED, yes, there ARE odd bits and pieces of solos that are vaguely harmonic minor sounding occasionally, but for the most part, Kirk sticks to minor pentatonics and taping a brick down on his wah pedal.
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
AND WE ARE THE DREAMERS OF THE DREAMS
Quote by _bacon_
Meh. Dave Mustaine's column (called Symphony of Instruction) that's in GW currently is better for thrash rhythm playing, and Eric Peterson's (Practice What You Preach) is even better than Mustaine's. The EQ'ing tips were nice in this, though

it seems you know the columns from GW. Can you share them?