So I plan on buying some new pickups to replace my current Burstbuckers in my LP (a Faded Studio, if anyone is wondering) and was thinking about some DiMarzios. But my guitar teacher scared the heck out of me when he said that he once replaced pickups and they sounded terrible in his guitar. So do you think an Evolution bridge and neck would hurt?
What kind of sound are you going for?

and Dimarzio has a exchange policy on their pickups, so if you dont like them you can exchange them.
I want a tone kind of like Paul Gilbert and Jason Becker, but I also want enough high output for really heavy distortion (think Opeth, Dream Theater). Maybe a Super Distortion? I was also toying with the idea of Blackouts. And does wood make a huge difference when choosing pickups?
What kind of tone are you looking for? The Evo's sound a bit thin imo, but that might not be a problem seeing as you're putting them in an LP.
I would recommend trying EVO-2.. it has way more dynamic properties and Kicks ass!
Whats that about exchange policy btw? - How long can you do that?
What amp are you using?

Your teacher is right, changing pickups isn't automatically going to make your guitar "better"...you have to be sure a pickup swap is the best way to solve your problem and also that you get the right pickups.

I think Evos would sound pretty atrocious in a Les paul, maybe a Norton in the bridge with a Paf Pro in the neck?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I'm using a Krank Rev Jr. for anyone who is wondering what amp I am using. I wouldnt be afraid of putting Blackouts in because on SD's site, they said it went well in Mahogany guitars.
Well right now I am using a Marshall MG, and have just ordered my Krank. So my tone sucks so much right now. But I really dont like the tone of the Burstbuckers.
Wait for your Krank amp to arrive first, then see how it sounds. You might order the pickups now, get your Krank amp then realize you love the tone of your guitar!
Quote by NowhereOutThere
I want a tone kind of like Paul Gilbert and Jason Becker, but I also want enough high output for really heavy distortion (think Opeth, Dream Theater). Maybe a Super Distortion? I was also toying with the idea of Blackouts. And does wood make a huge difference when choosing pickups?

Super Distortion is aimed at 80's metal, so maybe if you want an PG tone...

However, wait until you get your Krank first.
Quote by NowhereOutThere
Well right now I am using a Marshall MG, and have just ordered my Krank. So my tone sucks so much right now. But I really dont like the tone of the Burstbuckers.

You can't really judge the guitar at all then, or it's pickups. The reason you don't like the tone is the MG, simple as.

Wait until you've got the Krank, then make an assessment.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com