Ok so i've decided to finally purchase a head for my Ampeg SVT 410. Now it says its imp. is 4 ohms and that it's power is 500W RMS 1000 program. what does all this mean and what would be a good head to get with it? (not new to bass just new to cabinets)
Impedence is the resistance placed on the head by the cab. If you use that cab ( a 4 ohm cab) with a 2 ohm head, you'll fry the head.

The 500W RMS is generally the max amount of output you want going to the cab, if you go over that, then you run the risk of blowing the speakers.

In your situation, try to find a head capable of running at 4 ohms with no more than 500W at 4 ohms.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
It looks like the Ampeg SVT-3PRO is your best choice. theyre on an even parallel as far as power goes (your cab can handle 500W RMS at 4 ohms and the head puts out 450 at 4 ohms), buying any more powerful of a head like SVT-4 would be overpowering your cab. The tone's great and the only real difference between the SVT3 and 4 is really the power.
Quote by cjpiquette
It looks like the Ampeg SVT-3PRO is your best choice. theyre on an even parallel as far as power goes (your cab can handle 500W RMS at 4 ohms and the head puts out 450 at 4 ohms), buying any more powerful of a head like SVT-4 would be overpowering your cab. The tone's great and the only real difference between the SVT3 and 4 is really the power.

The 3pro is a fair bit over rated for power, and tone is subjective. I personally thought it sounded empty and lifeless even spending a few hours fiddling with the eq and different basses. You might like it TS, but make sure you actually try out multiple heads with different tonal characteristics (should be obvious when spending this kind of cash).

And to FUnkbass's comment: Using a 2 ohm ss amp with a 4 ohm cab most likely would not fry anything, you just wouldn't get maximum power out of the head. Now doing the opposite, like using a 4 ohm cab with an 8 ohm only head would cause damage. Still you're right, if the TS plans on getting the perfect combination, he needs to look at something with 4 ohm output.