I've recently become interested in Traynor tube amps which i hear are great quality amps. I've been considering either the YCV50 or the YCV40. Can anyone tell me the difference between them other than wattage?
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
I think the YCV40 has better cleans than the YCV50, but the YCV50 has a better OD
Quote by hell_monkey
Can anyone tell me the difference between them other than wattage?
Yes they are different colors, which makes telling them apart very easy providing you aren't colorblind. Seriously tho, forsaknazrael and esp1234 are correct. Great amps.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Is the difference really noticeable though? Does the 50 still have good cleans? Does the 40 still have good OD? Which would you guys recommend?
Quote by CuatroSD
Is the difference really noticeable though? Does the 50 still have good cleans? Does the 40 still have good OD? Which would you guys recommend?

It depends on what kind of sound you're looking for. The 40 is a 6L6 based amp that has more in common with Fenders (hence the high quality cleans). It has more/better gain on tap than Fenders in the same size/price range, though. More modern sounding, too. Maybe similar to a Mesa, without getting quite that heavy.

The 50 is EL34 based, and sounds more like a Marshall amp. The cleans are certainly decent, but it's that classic British flavored crunch that sells the amp.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I play stuff like Radiohead, Television, My Morning Jacket, and The Smiths, so those cleans sound good. But I also play Muse and Smashing Pumpkins as well as a little blues and classic rock stuff. Which do you think would be the better amp to get?
^ The YCV 40, with it's brighter cleans and modern gain, would seem to be a better fit for you.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
^Can't he put kt77s in the ycv40 and get that thing into metal territory?
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale

yes
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by Kevin Saale

No. KT77's don't really add gain or anything. Just make it sounds more British. You can get a passable metal tone if you tossd an OD in front, but if he wanted a solid metal tone, and if that's what he plays the majority of the time, I'd say he get an amp voiced for metal.