Hey Guys,

My band has been going nearly 4 months now and we just bought our first 2000w PA yesterday. I now need a mic for my amp so I can go through the PA.

I am leaning towards getting a SM57, is this the best to start with? Should I go for the 58? It will be used for live performances and I already have my own vocal mic.

ATM I only have a small Marshall amp (8020) and no pedals. So if there are any recomendations in that area aswell? I play an epiphone les paul standard and a fender strat through it.

We will be doing small gigs and have a biggish outdoor gig coming up soon also.

Thanks for any help,
Danny
go the petrucci route..
shure sm57 on the grill cloth of the amp..off axis at the sweet spot.
HI,

Thanks for replying! For now I will just be going for one microphone and I think it will be the SM57 as I have only heard good things about it.

What about upgrading my amp? Any suggestions on that front?

Thanks
Danny
Is your amp a valvestate? I am not real familiar with your model - sorry. What kind of music do you play?
Yes its a valvestate and we play indie rock n roll, I would most relate us to Milburn or, for those who don't know them; Pigeond Detectives or Arctic Monkeys.
Although the differences between the 57/58 are subtle, as they are practically the same mic, i would reccomend the 57 out of the 2, its generally considered as one of the best and most useable instument mics. Plus, you'll get the 57' cheaper generally. There other dynamics to consider though, look at the Audix I5 which has good reviews, or if you want to spend a bit more, look at the sennheiser e906. If you really want to get good quality, look at some ribbon mics maybe.
Oh, and congrats on the 2k PA! (jealous)
I think I am going to settle for the 57. From what I have read it is most suited to what I need, and it is at the right price to start with.

Any more ideas about upgrading my amp, this will be the next thing I will be looking at spending some dough on.

Thanks for all your help.
Depending on your price range, you may want to look at some of the traynor amp models. Frankly you might consider looking at a classic 30 or since your mic'ing your amps .. an Orange tiny terror.
Hmmm, from what I have heard Orange amps are really quality?

Looking at the tiny terror I am assuming I would have to connect this to some bigger cabinets? And then mic it up to the PA?
Yes Orange is certainly high quality and pricing reflects it If you have $$ or willing to go used there is a nice all tube 30 watt Orange Amp. As far as the TT, yes you would need to run it through a cab, such as a 1 x 12. Also, I have "heard" that a Tiny Terror combo is out (or nearly out) and then you would not need the cabinet.
Quote by vitchb
Although the differences between the 57/58 are subtle, as they are practically the same mic, i would reccomend the 57 out of the 2, its generally considered as one of the best and most useable instument mics. Plus, you'll get the 57' cheaper generally. There other dynamics to consider though, look at the Audix I5 which has good reviews, or if you want to spend a bit more, look at the sennheiser e906. If you really want to get good quality, look at some ribbon mics maybe.
Oh, and congrats on the 2k PA! (jealous)

i def. prefer the Sennheiser e906. esp. for cleans and lower gain. to me, the 57 is too "in your face"

EDIT/ in fact it has been a sennheiser E609 that i have been using. NOT an E906
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Last edited by chea_man at Jun 23, 2008,