I've looked it up on google and searched on youtube and im still not getting it...can anyone explain maybe with a youtube link and video time to a song part that has 6/8 timing? thanks.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Boutique Marshall-Style 50watt amp head
Orange 2x12
Ah... 6/8... what a bitch that is to learn.

What exactly are you having trouble understanding about it?

Basicly, 6/8 is where the 8th note gets the beat, and there are six in one measure. Generally, 6/8 is conducted in two beats, and in each beat you play 3 8th notes. Each beat is worth a dotted quarter note, or three eighth notes. Maybe you should get a metronome or ask a music teacher or something how it works so they can explain it better.
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
count: " one and a two and a"
Quote by elliott FTW
I LOVE YOU SLOGANKID
silly racist bitch finally kicked the bucket

yeah the 2nd number tells you which notes get the beat (in this case an 8th note) and the first on tells how many of them make a whole measure (in this case six.)
^ how about nothing else matters, the whole damn song is in 6/8. it's 6 equally spaced and timed eighth notes.
ok so in 4/4 you count 1-2-3-4 1-2-3-4 and so on
in 3/4 its 1-2-3 1-2-3 like a waltz
6/8 is just half time of 3/4, and it has a different feel to it
so think one-and-two-and-three-and one-and-two-and-three-and
but turn the ands into numbers like this
ONE-two-three-FOUR-five-six
yeah
i would say that you completely understand the 4/4 time signature before getting a little ahead to something like 6/8...but i checked nothing else matters, and it fits to me...it fits perfectly with 1 2 3 4 5 6 / 1 2 3 4 5 6 etc....but you have to remember that they are 8th notes, NOT quarter notes, just listen to the drums because they are vital when finding a time signature...in this 6/8 the snare is hit on the 4th beat...and just putting it out there (usually the snare is hit on the 3rd beat in 4/4)
Last edited by Schane at Jun 23, 2008,
6/8 is just half time of 3/4

False. 3/4 has three beats per measure, whereas 6/8 has two.
Time signatures are not fractions, and the top and bottom numbers do not always directly reflect the beat unit and number of beats. 6/8 is very nearly always used as a compound meter, and is interpreted differently. When dealing with compound meters...

Divide the top number by three: Three goes into six twice, meaning that 6/8 has two beats per bar.

Multiply the beat unit by three: This gives us three eighth notes, or a dotted quarter note.

6/8 therefore has two beats per measure, and each beat is a dotted quarter note.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Time signatures are not fractions, and the top and bottom numbers do not always directly reflect the beat unit and number of beats. 6/8 is very nearly always used as a compound meter, and is interpreted differently. When dealing with compound meters...

Quick question: can you think of any piece off the top of your head that treats 6/8 as a simple meter?
known as Jeff when it really matters
Quote by titopuente
Quick question: can you think of any piece off the top of your head that treats 6/8 as a simple meter?

Nothing famous. I've written pieces with six beats per bar, where each beat is an eighth note, and I can't really think of anything simpler to call it than 6/8. As long as you specify to the performer that it is being treated as simple time, I see no reason why it necessarily has to be compound (though it very nearly always is)
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Jun 23, 2008,
a very simple but ingenious piece by miles davis..all blues...has every device of the blues built in it (thus its title) ... a very basic "head" .. melody line...it has both a major and minor feel as well as the traditional 12 bar blues frame work...great improve piece and you can play 4/4 time over it.. and it is a good study for basic blues .. the 6/8 time feel is easy to decipher and count ...

wolf
Quote by Archeo Avis
I've written pieces with eight beats per bar, where each beat is an eighth note
Eigth beats? In 6/8? Impressive...

Assuming you meant six, wouldn't it be easier to write it in 3/4?
Quote by Archeo Avis

Divide the top number by three: Three goes into six twice, meaning that 6/8 has two beats per bar.

Multiply the beat unit by three: This gives us three eighth notes, or a dotted quarter note.

6/8 therefore has two beats per measure, and each beat is a dotted quarter note.
Thank you! Thank you! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!

Why compound time confuses otherwise intelligent people is absolutely beyond me, but our friend Archeo nailed it. And if you want a perfect example of 6/8 time, open iTunes and pull up John Philip Sousa's Washington Post March. It doesn't get much more straightforward than that.
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.