i was just jamming with my dad and he pointed out to me how i play power chords all the time and not the full bar chord.

i was wondering if anyone else does this?

do you tend to play more power chords than full bar chords or open chords?
I tend to throw a mix of jazz chords, full barre chords, open chords of course, and occasionally power chords if I'm playing hard rock. I'm very partial to my major 13ths and minor 9ths though.
Mesa Lonestar Special
Traynor YCV40WR
Ibanez -Artcore AS103BM
Fender American Deluxe Strat
Analog Man ARDX20 Dual Delay
Red Witch Empress Chorus
Big Muff Pi
Boss BD-2
MXR '76 RI Dynacomp
Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah
Jetter Jetdrive
EHX POG
Quote by tommyt
whatever fits the song.
true that tommyt. but versatility is always great, so learn them all!
'79 Fender Deluxe Reverb
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez TS9, Keeley TS9 Baked Mod
Zendrive

LOOOOOK INTOOOOOO THEEEE PICCCTUREEEEEEEEE

Member of UG's Gain Whores - pm gpderek09 to join
open chords, power chords (when ever im playing metal i nearly always find myself making riffs based out of a power chord and then moving the 5th a semi-tone up to get a really dark sound) and i use alot of arpeggios based around the higher notes in a barre chord.
Power chords are nice, I use them alot, but it's important to learn as many different kinds of chords as you can, so then you can play whatever you want. Power chords tend to sound kinda empty in any music other than rock or metal.
I barely ever play power chords any more. I always do these big, distorted major and minor triads. Sounds very full.

Of course, you can do a barred power chord:

e|--5--4--
B|--5--x--
G|--x--6--
D|--7--6--
A|--7--4--
E|--5--4--
I rasrely play power chords, i prefer to play full chords.
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat
Washburn HB35
PRS Santana SE
Yamaha Pacifica 112MX
Vox AD30VT
Fender Champion 600
Dunlop wah
Danelectro Cool Cat fuzz
all depends on the song, and personal preference...for example i usually play a dsus2 instead of an open d because i dont like the sound of the F#, usually i mix it up though
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
I tend to get bored and change things about mid song...powerchords, barre chords, open, arpeggiated etc. It keeps things interesting.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Em7.

Seriously, 7th chords are best. Major 7, or minor 7, they're just TOO good.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Maj7, crazy ones made by moving fingers around in barre's.... I'll work out what they are at some point, other 7ths, 9s, 11s occasionally.

My favorite chord atm though - play an open Cadd4, sounds amazing.

I find power chords just so dull, the lack of a 3rd gives them no tonality or any interesting feeling.
Adam
Mostly barre chords, sometimes open chords. Usually just major and minor, but sometimes I throw in a dom7. Occasionally I use maj7s or min7s, or other extended chords.

Edit: Various diminished and augmented chords too.
Last edited by werty22 at Jun 23, 2008,
I just about always play open and 7th chords. Power chords just seem weird to me, not as full sounding and such.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Any type, though if I'm playing heavier, faster songs I tend to use power chords. Though, if I'm just jamming along to something slow, bluesy, or melodic, I'm normally finger picking 9ths, 7ths, and 13th chords or some diminished chords if I'm feeling adventurous .
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
I tend to use alot of power chords, but when it comes to songs that arent heavy i go for full chords, especially in verses. Overall though i mix it up.
Open chords, and seeing as I'm starting to learn teh jazzez, Ive become partial to them.

I like my sus's too.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by steven seagull
I tend to get bored and change things about mid song...powerchords, barre chords, open, arpeggiated etc. It keeps things interesting.

+1
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
ususally i use a modified version of a standard chord...whatever i can do to move my hands less i do...
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
If I'm not playing any specific song, I'm just playing to play... then I always find myself fingerpicking open chords on a clean or just slightly dirty amp setting with moderate chorus and delay. Or when I'm feeling frisky, flanger and reverb. for some reason, there's no better sound to me. Now that I think about it, it's almost always in G.
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert