Could any of you guys give me a suggestion to what cheap type of guitar I could get which would do a good Ska + Punk + Pop Punk sounds. Ska mainly (as in Reel Big Fish sounds). I'm only looking for low end stuff I don't want to spend anymore than £100. Like, what style of guitar would be best, LP, tele etc.. Also maybe what pedals I could get to add to the clean channel to my amp for a good Ska sound or something?

Thanks
Last edited by Pooinsky at Jun 23, 2008,
For Ska, all you really need's a wah, maybe a flanger or something if you want to be adventurous.

As for your guitar, it's all personal preference. I'm a pretty big fan of using Teles for ska, but RBF uses LP's, Strats, semi- hollows, and all sorts of Fenders. Try some out.
Squier Telecaster for a beginner guitar, and for pedals get a Wah Wah or some cheap flanger (Danelectro) (better for ska though)
lBlUlTlTlSlElClKlSl
My Anti-Drug
Hey there friend! I play ska as my main style as well also I like playing different styles of punk (British- Modern). I personally use a Made in Mexico Telecaster and it sounds great for those styles but it's out of your budget range. I would recommend anything with single coils (Telecaster, Stratocaster) usually sound great for ska however beware of the Squier Affinity series, yes they may be the cheapest option but honestly I love Fender and I have to say they drop the ball with those Squier Affinity necks they are too rough and hard to play. If your going to go with Squier get at least a Standard series or even better the Deluxe models. As for other companies I know Epiphone makes those Les Paul specials for under 200 US dollars but I've only played one once and it was alright but watch for sharp fret ends on the neck that can really mess up your playing. Honestly the budget guitar market is the most difficult to shop for but here's the best advice I can give you. Go to a guitar shop and try out every single model that interests you even if it's out of your price range, if you really like the guitar it'll be wroth saving up for. That's what happened to me, I thought a Squier was awesome until I played a Fender. Oh yeah BTW what amp are you using or planning to use?
I hope this helps.
Rudeboy out.
Last edited by SkaJon at Jun 23, 2008,
I tired not to knock too hard on Squier and Epiphone. So hopefully I didn't come off like that, because to be a brand name elitist is stupid. I'm actually going to buy a Epiphone Les Paul Junior special to serve as a project guitar, I would like to learn how to wire up pickups, change tuners etc, etc. There are also off brand guitars that get a lot of rave reviews on Harmony-Central.com like Guitar Fetish's Xaviere XV-600(semi hollow Teles and Strats) or Rondo's SX STL50s. I know i'm GASing hard for one of those XV-600s, semi hollow tele look-a-like for under 200 dollars sounds awesome in my opinion.
Anyway I hope eveything goes well.
Rudeboy out.
Last edited by SkaJon at Jun 23, 2008,
Quote by Pooinsky
Could any of you guys give me a suggestion to what cheap type of guitar I could get which would do a good Ska + Punk + Pop Punk sounds. Ska mainly (as in Reel Big Fish sounds). I'm only looking for low end stuff I don't want to spend anymore than £100. Like, what style of guitar would be best, LP, tele etc.. Also maybe what pedals I could get to add to the clean channel to my amp for a good Ska sound or something?

Thanks

Vintage Zip....most fun you can get for £99

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/71399
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^yeah definitely. punk isn't about tone, every guitar can be distorted. the single bridge humbucker might be a LITTLE limiting on the clean ska sounds but look for some reviews on harmony central or something
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Quote by Pooinsky
Hmm they look very interesting

Would they be satisfactory for my needs?

I had a little play with one in a local shop, but it was pink so I had to make sure nobody was looking.

It's a really fun little guitar, chambered body so it's dead light and it has a nice, spanky tone. They look fun too, there's far too many black guitars around these days...perfect for wielding around and thrashing about with.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Is there going to be another guitarist in the band. If so, are you going to be playing rhythm or lead?
maybe a squier tele or a fat strat
both are nice for ska and punk
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400