Hey all,

At the moment I have a DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge of my USA Strat and a PAF Pro in the neck.

My musical tastes have changed somewhat and I am moving away from heavy rock/metal into Jazz, Fusion kind of stuff.

The Super Distortion is just not really warm enough and can sound shrill and muddy. I need a bridge pickup that is great for rhythm and for leads. It needs to be very tight and defined on the lower strings and have smooth highs, no squealling or shreaking. Something like Santana's lead tone / Guthrie Govan

Ideally I'd like DiMarzio, not really a fan of seymour.

Thanks!
You want something warmer?

If you want a hotter pickup, go with a Duncan TB-11. The Alnico 2 will warm up your tone.
And if you want something with vintage output, the Duncan Alnico Pro II would be a good choice.

I think Santana uses Alnico V pickups, though.

I don't know the Dimarzio equivalents, or what Dimarzio pickups sound good in a Strat, sorry.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You want something warmer?

If you want a hotter pickup, go with a Duncan TB-11. The Alnico 2 will warm up your tone.
And if you want something with vintage output, the Duncan Alnico Pro II would be a good choice.

I think Santana uses Alnico V pickups, though.

I don't know the Dimarzio equivalents, or what Dimarzio pickups sound good in a Strat, sorry.

thanks guys..

All i know is, i certainly dont want anything hotter, super distortion is already very hot, want something moderate. And yeh I guess ill need alnico magnet rather than ceramic..
Try the pickup finder on the dimarzio website.
Gear
Epiphone G-400
Orange Tiny Terror
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
Blackstar HT-Dual
MXR 10-Band EQ
Yeah, I like the TB-11 idea Custom Custom. I guess you could consider hot but it is warm and not overly distorted. Also, the new SH-15 looks cool with Alnico 5 magnet I believe but Pott is the only UG user I know that has one and I think he likes it alot. He made a tread about several months ago.

Also, whether you go Duncan or not, Call Duncan's cust serv number off their web site and tell them what you want and you could then at least use that as a reference point.
Also, try Rockmonkey pickups by CorduroyEW. 10% off for UG'ers.
Gear
Epiphone G-400
Orange Tiny Terror
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
Blackstar HT-Dual
MXR 10-Band EQ
im thinking perhaps one of Dimarzios new 34th anniversary PAF's? Hotter than a regular PAF and should be nice and warm and defined, although no reviews yet cos they've just come out..

do PAF's usaully stay tight and focussed on the lower notes?
Last edited by XtAsY2007 at Jun 23, 2008,
A pair of Breeds is looking good here, or maybe a Norton in the bridge with an Air Norton in the neck.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
A pair of Breeds is looking good here, or maybe a Norton in the bridge with an Air Norton in the neck.

would the breeds be abit modern sounding do you think?
Quote by XtAsY2007
would the breeds be abit modern sounding do you think?

Not really, they're have a pretty vintage sound to them, just kind of ramped up. I recorded these clips with a Breed-equipped guitar - the clean clips are probably of most interest to you. When I think fusion I tend to think pretty modern tones anyway.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7157498&postcount=201
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by XtAsY2007
thanks guys..

All i know is, i certainly dont want anything hotter, super distortion is already very hot, want something moderate. And yeh I guess ill need alnico magnet rather than ceramic..

I wouldn't say the TB-11 is hotter than the Super Distortion. Probably around the same. Maybe a little less.
Quote by polaroidvision
Also, try Rockmonkey pickups by CorduroyEW. 10% off for UG'ers.

+1000
I'm yet to hear a bad word about them. Not too pricey either.