hi!

Okay, say we have this:

-------------------------------------------------------
-----------10----------10-----------10----------10-
--10h12-----10h12------10h12------10h12----...etc.

played really fast so it sounds really cool. Now, how do people finger this? Do you use your index finger to jump back and forth between the 4th and 3rd string, or do you lay your index finger down on both the 4th and 3rd and relax it so it doesn't ring out?

Thanks!
now is the only thing that's real
Take it to the sex thread.

Just kidding. I would barre the D and G strings just because it would be a lot easier than having my first finger hopping back and forth.
is that the solo from no quarter by tool? (i dunno if it's the same in the led zep version...) what I do is I bar the 10th with my index, and use my ring to hammer on the 12th. Picking wise, i do a downstroke on the D-10, then i use an upstroke on the G-10. I also use slight palm muting so that the G-10 won't keep ringing after i play it.
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
use a shovel.
My Gear

Guitar
DEAN Razorback Shards
Wesley crappy cheap thing

Amps
Cheap Crappy Freedom Practice AMP 15watts
VOX AD50 Valtronix
Quote by muse-ik
is that the solo from no quarter by tool?

No. I think it's a fairly common motif (if that is the right description of it) used in a lot of soloing. I'm using this Jamorama lead guitar method and they're a song that I'm expected to learn that uses the motif. Thanks guys!

Also, when doing a "stop bend" as jamorama calls it, for instance...

Let's say you bend the 10th fret on B to 12 then "stop" it by muting it, then quickly play the note on the 8th fret on the high E, then bring the B string back down from 12 to ten. I'm not sure how that would be tabbed but I'll try:

---------------------8--------------------
---------10b(12)-----(12)b10---8~--
-------------------------------------------

Okay, so what I do is I bend to 12, then palm mute it while I pluck the 8, then I bring it back down from 12 and finish it off with the vibrato on 8. Another nice little diddy but pretty hard to make sound proper. Am I doing it right?

I also use the same kind of thing with something like this:

---------------------8------------8------------8-------
---------10b(12)-----10b(12)----10b(12)--10~--
---------------------------------------------------------

I guess it's kind of hard to know what I'm talking about without the sound but maybe some of you know what I mean. Anyways, I'm training myself to put the palm mute on after every bend and before I strike the next note. It's starting to sound pretty fluent.

Am I doing okay?
now is the only thing that's real