hey, dont know if this is the right place
we are playing a gig soon and i just wanted to know a few things for it.
we are going to have:
all necesary amps (bass, 2 guitars etc) as well as one spare little amp.
we are going to have all necesary equipment and one extra guitar
there are one set of extra guitar strings, and 1 set of extra drum sticks
there are enough picks for everyone in the audience
we have 2 spare cables (would be 3 but right now mine just broke so..)
is there anything else we need?

on to topic.
what leves should the guitars be at in relation to the drums and the bass.
eg.

guitar 1:8, guitar 2: 8, drums (if there could be a level set) 6, bass: 7.
so basically how loud should each instrument be in relation to each other.

and another question.
there is a solo in a song, does the lead guitar play louder than the rhythem the whole time, or should the rhythem lower his volume with the volume knob slightly for the leead guitar to do the solo, then go back to normal settings when the solo si over?

thanks you for the help
in relation to what equipment you need, that sounds like more than enough, but if you can get some cheap plastic straplocks for the guitars (usually about £2 each) they will make sure they don't fall off the straps. a guitar tuner is also a must.
with regards to levels, it all depends on the size of the venue really, but make sure everything can be heard clearly from the audience's position. there should be a sound man who will sort out levels if there is a PA though

for the solo, getting the other guitar to drop back a bit should work ok, if the lead guitarist doesn't have a boost or overdrive pedal
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Last edited by Sonny_sam at Jun 23, 2008,
well, you'll want someone to stand out where the audience will be to listen to the sound level if possible before the show starts. otherwise play like a little intro thing with the full band and do the best you can with that to make the correct adjustments. you should know from practice the approximate location for where your volumes should be, so it'll just be small adjustments. generally the person soloing will increase their volume for the solo.
The setup:
Fender MIM Fat Strat (midnight wine)
Fender Blues DeVille 410
Digitech GNX3 Multi-effect
Fender CD140SCE Acoustic-Electric
There is no simple answer. Here is how I do it.

Start with the vocals (because if anything gets buried, it is the vocals) and crank them up as loud as you can (or as loud as you need to for the room and crowd size, etc.) without them feeding back, etc.

Now, bring the drums up in the mix until you can still hear the vocals, but the drums still provide a good solid wall of sound in behind the vox. Now, back them off just a smidge. Put up the bass until the bass and the drums lock. Put up the guitars until the sound is more or less what you consider good.

It is all about listening. There are no magic amp settings, ratios, levels, etc. It's all about bringing out the best, and balancing it out from there.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
If there's a main PA for everything, not just vocals, let the sound guy take care of you. Listen to what he says. Turn your amps up loud enough to get tone and let him do the rest. If it's just vocals in the PA, take axemanchris' advice on how to level the sound.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
this is how i did it during my first show, having know idea what i was doing. Knowing the vocals was the most important thing, i made that the loudest, followed by the Drums, Lead guitar, rhythm guitar and bass were the same
turn every thing to 11
Quote by Stress Cow
You know you're fucked up when the pit thinks you're a sick bastard.