Page 1 of 2
we live in an apartment and my friend is going to buy himself an amp and guitar he has about 1500 dollars and he's going to america. he cant open the volume so what can he buy with that 1500 dollars that he can make real ****ing good metal. he will buy a guitar and amp.
Will buying a tube amp without turning it volume at least 2-3 ticks is waste of money? if so he can go with ss
Quote by blind.quardian
Will buying a tube amp without turning it volume at least 2-3 ticks is waste of money? if so he can go with ss

yes it will, in all honesty. for his purposes, he's better off with a SS.
Quote by mcrfobtai
Maybe a blackheart little giant and a metal muff?

My thoughts. Something like a 5 watt tube would be a good idea. I'm saying this partially because I like tube amps but also because he's coming to America to get one, thus he probably doesn't get the chance that often so if he bought something a little more than he needed it might be better in the long run.
which ss can it be? he'll be playing heavy stuff death metal stuff. I know modellers have good gain but their tone doesnt look like anything just distortion if you want a particular tone you can adjust much...so a good ss amp and pedals make me think really. I will give him advice and dont want to fail him.
how much of that $1,500 is going toward the guitar and what guitar is he getting?

i'm not going to post my recommendations after seeing the Death Metal part.

it would be nice if someone would come out with a small budget combo for stuff like this. the Valveking can do metal but it's 50 watts and 45lbs.

what about a Valvetronix or Cube 30 or something?
Why? What about the death metal part just gave an example about the heaviness. he would like to buy a new guitar for about 800-1100 i think. since he wont be able to use a tube at home he can pay more for the guitar i think.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
how much of that $1,500 is going toward the guitar and what guitar is he getting?

i'm not going to post my recommendations after seeing the Death Metal part.

it would be nice if someone would come out with a small budget combo for stuff like this. the Valveking can do metal but it's 50 watts and 45lbs.

what about a Valvetronix or Cube 30 or something?

Valvetronix is a good idea. Sounds good at low volumes and is very versatile. It would work well in his situation.
^while i agree, a cube 30 and up is probably a better idea if he's also going to play death metal and stuff.
Quote by blind.quardian
Why? What about the death metal part just gave an example about the heaviness. he would like to buy a new guitar for about 800-1100 i think. since he wont be able to use a tube at home he can pay more for the guitar i think.

Sorry, but your thread was a little confusing. No worries, as I've seen your other threads and I think English is not your first language?

So he lives with you but is traveling to America and back and needs an amp that is around $400 - $700 range and he wants to buy his new gear here in the States and then ship/fly back with it to your apartment which can't have a loud amp. Is that it?

Where is he going in States and has he identified any stores yet? And i'm assuming he doesn't gig?

EDIT: As now my English wasn't that good. For some reason both of the (he)s I thouht I typed are not there. S(he) whichever - sorry. Edited back in. Damn inturdnet!
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jun 23, 2008,
nonononono, the XL series are nothing like the normal VT's, they sound pretty darn bad .

a distortion pedal with a normal SS could work out too, but IMO a cube would be a better solution.
Quote by The red Strat.
nonononono, the XL series are nothing like the normal VT's, they sound pretty darn bad .

a distortion pedal with a normal SS could work out too, but IMO a cube would be a better solution.

+1

Yeah, don't waste your time with the XL, it's not worth it. Just get the standard and spend the extra $$$ on a good pedal.
Yea sorry english is not my main language just 16 years old sorry xD My friend needs a guitar and an amp has a total bugdet about 1400-1500 dollars lets say...he will go to USA for shopping to new york, long island and he'll buy a guitar and an amp and come back home. He cant play loud and he doesnt gig it will be for home practice but after giving this money he would like the best of he can get. So he wont be getting a tube amp i think cos its too loud so we need to look at the modellers? that was my question=)
I think your answer is with the Roland Cube.

And sorry, as I had to go back and edit my post due to poor English so no worries. Has your friend given any consideration as to how to get the gear back home safely?

good luck
Dunno how he'll get the amp but guitar is easy i think put it in a hardcase and to your bag. will a roland cube 30x be enough? is yes he can also buy it from here... also i listened to vox's sound samples from its site and i quite liked it sure cube is the best bet?
Quote by blind.quardian
Dunno how he'll get the amp but guitar is easy i think put it in a hardcase and to your bag. will a roland cube 30x be enough? is yes he can also buy it from here... also i listened to vox's sound samples from its site and i quite liked it sure cube is the best bet?

Cube is a good choice. Take a look at the Vox though. He may like the versatility. But it'd be between those two amps, I'd think.
Ok so a normal ss amp and a pedal is not good then. if he's not going to buy tube he should buy a modeller instead right?
Quote by blind.quardian
Ok so a normal ss amp and a pedal is not good then. if he's not going to buy tube he should buy a modeller instead right?

No, there's no problem with a regular SS and a pedal.

I just suggested a modeler because it would give him more to play with
but what about the distortion quality? i had a thread like this and got an answer "get the cube" dont want to be disrespectful but im just really curious about it. pedal and amp 's quality is better or worse than the modeller with the same price?
Quote by blind.quardian
but what about the distortion quality? i had a thread like this and got an answer "get the cube" dont want to be disrespectful but im just really curious about it. pedal and amp 's quality is better or worse than the modeller with the same price?

I'm not sure I get the question...

are you asking if the Vox Modeler by itself is better than a non-modeling solid state with a distortion pedal?
yes yes exactly...=)

and also what can he buy as a guitar which will suit a modelling amp? budget max. 800-900 dollar
Last edited by blind.quardian at Jun 23, 2008,
Well, I normally recommend Strats but I don't they are good for Death Metal or even Metal.

You may need to pose that over in Electric Guitar forum but brands that seem most popular for that are obviously: Ibanez, Schecters, Jacksons and ESPs.

Your friend really needs to research these, the amps we have brought up and find a store in Long Island (shouldn't be a problem) that has all of these - then sit down and play them all and make his own decision.

PS - a good hardshell case could cost as much as $100 and I don't know if you can take those in plane cabin with you (him) so he may want to check into that first as well.
Quote by Osiris77
A used vetta and used humbucker guitar........

a used vetta is still pretty expensive....a used flextone tho is where it's at
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Max amp budget is 250-300 dollars then considering he'll buy a ss amp... and also he can put the guitar to his luggage and give to plane's baggage
Schecter C-1 Classic + Vox AD30VT + Metal Muff? And/or a Bad Monkey?
Ok well but while no one advices a pedal with a cube why people do this with vox? its because its hybrid? i thought modellers weren't good with pedals.
Quote by blind.quardian
Ok well but while no one advices a pedal with a cube why people do this with vox? its because its hybrid? i thought modellers weren't good with pedals.

It depends on what you use it for and all that good stuff. A modulation pedal or a delay wouldn't be a good choice because of the built in effects. But an OD or Distortion pedal works well with the different channels.
So is worth buying a modelling amp to get the distortion from amp? cant we just buy a normal amp and a pedal... would be cheaper...
Quote by blind.quardian
So is worth buying a modelling amp to get the distortion from amp? cant we just buy a normal amp and a pedal... would be cheaper...

Well, even if something isn't a modeling amp it's still going to have some sort of overdrive or distortion. (*USUALLY*) It just depends on if it's sufficient distortion for your style.
My friend just needs heavy distortion and not bad cleans rock tones are not that much important so why pay extra money to an amp which has models i dont use and get a pedal for it?
Quote by blind.quardian
My friend just needs heavy distortion and not bad cleans rock tones are not that much important so why pay extra money to an amp which has models i dont use and get a pedal for it?

It's not really extra money. The only SS really in that range that aren't modelers are Raven amps, the MG, the Flexwave and the Frontman, all of which don't have as good tone in general as the AD series OR the Cube series. And I personally think the AD series has better tone than the Cube.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
all good points unless you want to with something like an all tube valveking for $400 new.

*forgets what thread is which*

can he go used? - cause another option would be to check Craigslist.com for Long Island.

I doubt a craigslist seller would want to do a deal with a foreigner that is only in town for a limited time. I know I wouldn't do it.
Quote by imgooley
I doubt a craigslist seller would want to do a deal with a foreigner that is only in town for a limited time. I know I wouldn't do it.

I'd be more concerned as the foreign buyer than as the seller in that situation. I don't care who I'm selling to, and if he leaves the country, that just means I'm less likely to hear any complaints in the future.

In fact, I'm on Long Island, what does the guy need? I'm sure I have one of them lying around.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
hard so say Slats but we were talking Roland Cube, Valvetronix I think and then Valveking (which I'm pretty sure you don't have or care for )

i would think if he has a Visa and can pay for it who cares what country he is from. just a thought as it might expand his options as opposed to eHay.
get your self a good little ss amp, asking what distortion tone sounds better within ss amps is like asking who the smartest retard in special ed class. save your money for the future when you can afford to buy a real amp. keep praticing for now and stop worrying so much on your tone and start worrying about your playing. good luck
"People worry too much about tone instead of just rocking out"
Page 1 of 2