Yep,I've used the search bar,but couldn't find what I was looking for and didn't get good answers to my question in my previous thread.

I'm gonna enter college soon and I can't take my amp with me.I've heard that you can download some sorta software modeller to use the laptop as an amp.Are there any free ones?Do they come with effects?
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
It'll work but it won't be very loud unless you have really loud speakers. I have Guitarport. I'm not a big fan of digital sounds, but I've gotten it to work for me. I've heard Amplitube is pretty good.
I believe they do.

I did a search on 'Laptop as an amp' and found all kinds of stuff. Most, as you can imagine, were in Riffs and Recordings Forum.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/search.php?searchid=3054014

Also, maybe look into a Roland Micro Cube if you want something to plug into.

And actually, the Digitech RP line could help too as you could plug headphones and laptop into it and it has software you can download to change effects etc. It is a multi effects pedal so you could use when you get back home too. Not sure how it stacks up to the amp modeling software that is currently out there.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Search/Default.aspx?src=digitech+RP

The RP150 is $99 but I'm not sure what your budget is for software. Audacity is free but would only really help with the recording aspect if you are interested in that.

I'm not pushing the RP line necessarily as other boxes do the same thing I think it is just the only one i'm familiar with and I hear of other college kids using it due to same situation as you.

sorry for long post
what's that Line 6 guitar port? that should work.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
Use Amplitube or Guitar Rig and get a small USB recording interface (I use the M-Audio Fast Track USB) so you can get near zero-latency. Has a guitar in and a headphone out. Throw on some good headphones and you have a gazillion amp models and effects. Great for practicing.
GuitarFX or Guitar FX Box. Just looked through google. Demo versions work pretty well.
What would I need for the Amplitube?I've *ehem* it ,registered,and when I open it,it either makes no guitar noise or has some sorta weird wiiuu wiiuuu sound.There's definitely no guitar sound in it.Do I need to get a DI box?'Cos I saw some youtube videos and there was a DI box beside the laptop.Can I plug it in through my multifx?
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
I think you need asio drivers in order to use such programs.
Current Equipment:
Epiphone Les Paul Gothic
Blackstar Ht-5
Bad Monkey
Amplitube sounds GREAT, but personally I like Amplitube Metal. The 5150 is SICK in that program. Recorded last night with it. Sounds GREAT!
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
You can hook the guitar to the laptop and there are amp/cab/effect software simulators out there. (some free) The guitar would have to be hooked into the mic input most likely because most laptops don't have line ins. You will hear sound but it will be very quiet even turned all the way up because the mic input typically only has a fraction of a watt of amplification. It also will not sound good on teeny laptop speakers unless you use a headphone. You are pretty much going to have to get some sort of preamp ... that can be a small practice amp, most multi effects pedals, a guitar port, and dedicated preamp, etc.

If you can get the guitar preamped into the laptop then you could use headphone for better sound. Probably the path of least resistance here is to get a cheap used multi fx & headphones small enough to fit in the gig bag front pouch.
I use Line6's Toneport UX2 with my computers, works very good and sounds OK.
Gear: ESP Horizon
my guitar port sounds really good. But thats because I got a bad ass sony speaker set up with a subwoofer. I never use my practice amp because it sounds way better on the computer. It'll sound great if you are willing to go spend some cash on speakers.
Check out the program Guitar Rig. It's a really nice little program. It costs money, but you could just download it from a torrent.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by Broken-pick
What would I need for the Amplitube?I've *ehem* it ,registered,and when I open it,it either makes no guitar noise or has some sorta weird wiiuu wiiuuu sound.There's definitely no guitar sound in it.Do I need to get a DI box?'Cos I saw some youtube videos and there was a DI box beside the laptop.Can I plug it in through my multifx?

How are you plugging into your computer?
you can also use a guitar effects pedal board of your not wanting to use the laptop. most pedal boards have a headphone output.

jym
Again... Amplitube Metal sounds AWESOME, and regular Amplitube sounds AWESOME too. I plug in through a Presonus BlueTube, and then into a Digidesign MBOX 2. Sounds AWESOME.

Im telling ya, it sounds better than guitar rig's model.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.