Well I was looking through guitarfetish, and found them. Well has anyone ever used them, and are they worth getting? Cause I know I like the idea. Second is IDK if it was a guitar fetish or not. But it was a preamp setup, so you could have your four knobs be treble, mid, bass, and distort, does anyone know where I can get a board like that for cheap? But yeah I want to hear your guy's opinion on them. This would be going in my SG, but I am out of money cause I ordered some new pickups, so yeah tell me what you guys know, cause I knwo I would like to put a board in my guitar.
Guitar
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gretsch Electromatic 5120
Amp
Crate V33H head w/ Berhinger B412S
Effects
Crybaby
Keely BD2
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is my pet bunny. Will you play with my bunny?
(")_(")
I have never tried them so I can't say how they sound, but nothing from Guitar fetish will ever go in my guitars. They have some cheap ass parts man. Again I have never bought from them so for all I know there cheap $25 pickup could blow the doors off a SD lil '59. I doubt it, but if you put cheap parts in your guitar you will get cheap performance out of it.

If that board sounds ok and you use it, your guitars tone will always be going through it, even when its off. I would recommend a pedal or something.

Good luck if you get it.
Actually GFS pickups got a really good rating, and I like the sound of their tele pickups and some humbuckers.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
GFS products on the whole are very good however i installed one of the clapton "women tone" boosters/EQ thingies into a les paul and it was noisey and generally poor in tone. Infact if you pay postage i'll send you one to play with!
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
I have heard ppl say good things about some of there stuff too. They are cheap enough that you could buy something and try it. If you don't like it throw it away. Or send it to someone else to try out.

The biggest reason I hate them is because they sell stuff like this-

http://yhst-50206111187217.stores.yahoo.net/hueqhssgutub.html

(Really who would buy this)

Pre wired pickguard $35 includes
2 single coils pups
1 humbucker pup
1vol pot
2 tone pots
5 way switch
switch knob
3 pot knobs
capacitor
and all the labor to wire everything up.

Is it worth $35, probably. I would use the pickguard and knobs maybe. All I am trying to get at is don't skimp on your tone man. My Epi LP standard amazes me everyday because of the parts I put in it. It makes me want to pick it up and play it.

If you get something, make sure to let us know what you think. I would be interested to find out.

Peace.
Well does anyone know where I can get a preamp setup, that is good quality, I remember seeing one for LP's it took all your tone and volume knobs and made one bass, one mid, one treble, and one distortion. IDK if you guys have seen anything like it, but I would like to get something like that to put in my SG, and my pickups are GFS, but there froma company that gets the same pickups, so yeah I am out on a limb, but from what I heard about the pickups I got, the bridge one (Which I use mostly clean and distort) is good in both, and the neck is ok in clean, and great in distortion, so yeah, it sounded good to me. Bridge is spouse to be 16.8 ohms, Neck is spouse to be 11.5 ohms. Anyone any good boards would be appreciated. I also heard of a Jimmy Page board (I am a big page fan) and if anyone knows where on is let me know. Thanks a million.
Guitar
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Amp
Effects
Crybaby
Keely BD2
(\__/)
(")_(")
Yeah but I don't like to waste my time soddering in a circuit board then have to desoder it. and resoder my original setup. I am asking so I get a good product, and don't waste time, and I need to know how much MONEY I need to SAVE
Guitar
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Amp
Effects
Crybaby
Keely BD2
(\__/)
(")_(")
how much money? save up buttloadds of cash and buy effects if you're worried this won't work. wanna try the easy way and see if it works with 5 minutes of soldering? try it god dammit. quit whining and make a decision please. we can't make this for you.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
I still think you should get some pedals instead of permanently wiring a board inside your guitar.
Quote by ninja23
I still think you should get some pedals instead of permanently wiring a board inside your guitar.

not permanent at all. desoldering braid. will pedals be better? possibly. probably. tons more money? YES!

will this thing work well? only one way to tell. to be honest, i'm tired of seeing someone piss and moan about a 30 dollar mod board.

TS, buy it or don't. time for you to make a decision.

/thread.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
Quote by THE Saint Jimmy
not permanent at all. desoldering braid.

Dude come on obviously if you solder something in, you can unsolder it just as easy. I DO NOT need you to tell me how to solder. Don't take everything to literally. I obviously meant pertinent as in not easy and quick to remove unless you are at home or at a buddys house who has a good soldering iron. As compared to a pedal that will work so much better and you can simply unplug it if you want.

And if you are tired of listing to him I have a solution. Dont come in this thread anymore. Who are you to yell at him and tell him to make up his mind!
http://store.guitarfetish.com/midbocictoat.html

i have one of those i'll ship it to you if you pay postage. That'll probably only cost you a few dollars/couple of pounds then if you decide you don't like it throw it in the bin! PM me!
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Quote by ninja23
I have never bought from them so for all I know there cheap $25 pickup could blow the doors off a SD lil '59. I doubt it, but if you put cheap parts in your guitar you will get cheap performance out of it.

Yeah. These are the people who make me want to quit the forum. Ignorant jerks who'd rather have a brand on the BOTTOM of their pickups, then save money for quality pots and amps.
GFS are EXCELLENT pickups, not even considering the price, I'd pay 75 bucks each if I had to, particularly for the mean 90s.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
Quote by ninja23
I have heard ppl say good things about some of there stuff too. They are cheap enough that you could buy something and try it. If you don't like it throw it away. Or send it to someone else to try out.

The biggest reason I hate them is because they sell stuff like this-

http://yhst-50206111187217.stores.yahoo.net/hueqhssgutub.html

I actually bought taht same pack, but in white on white.
The humbucker is great. That's 30 bucks right there.
The pickguard is 3-ply, quality. Fiftten bucks atleast.
knobs are another 5.

So yeah, new pots, overwound strat pickups in place of the lower-quality start stock in the guard. But they're less crappy than squier stock. Below mexi strat, however. But come on, don't rag on a 35 dollar guard when it's worth 50 in usable parts atleast.

When I bought one, I later bough the overwound strat set, put in the two regulars, ended up using the RW mid pickup for a tele project later.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
Quote by Iansmitchell
Yeah. These are the people who make me want to quit the forum. Ignorant jerks who'd rather have a brand on the BOTTOM of their pickups, then save money for quality pots and amps.

Whatever dude you make me laugh with your $30 pre wired pickguard. One thing that aggravates me. You don't know me. DONT TELL ME WHAT i WOULD RATHER DO WITH MY MONEY. Since you think you know me so well, let me tell you, you are wrong. So according to you I would rather have a name on the bottom of my pups and junk electronics in my guitar and a crappy valveking amp or something marshall mg maybe, line 6 spider lll.

LoL Right after I bought my Les Paul, I bought my SD Alnico ll pros. I installed 4 new CTS 500k pots and 2 vintage 1959 Bumblebee capacitors. And bought a 50ft. spool of vintage single conductor braided shielding wire to re wire my guitar, because I have yet to find a guitar that was wired good enough for me to like. I already have a great Marshall 100w tube head and nice cab.

So I am the ignorant one one you make false statements about ppl you don't like. Explain to me how I would rather have a name on the BOTTOM of my pickups, then save money for quality pots and amps.
I haven't played the GFS pickups, but their hardware is utter rubbish. I wouldn't order a trem or a pickup selector switch from them in a million years. I will have to try their pickups sometime, I do hope they got those right at least.
...I doubt they did though. If they can screw up a wilkinson, eesh.
Quote by Roc8995
I haven't played the GFS pickups, but their hardware is utter rubbish. I wouldn't order a trem or a pickup selector switch from them in a million years. I will have to try their pickups sometime, I do hope they got those right at least.
...I doubt they did though. If they can screw up a wilkinson, eesh.

Yeah, the switches, pots, and non-floyd trems suck. The floyd isn't half bad, though, I don't really know if they use steel or not, but it's gotta be higher grade than pot metal...
I got a HB sized tele bridge from them,but I got new saddles right away, no problems yet.
They can be hit and miss.
But so can gibson"IT'S CALLED QC EVER HEARD OF IT?(after getting a les paul with the input jack nut stripped and the setup horrid beyond imagination)
I tend to stay with the GFS parts I know are good, which are:
Vintage 59
Mean 90
Pickguards(material-wise, knowing full well you can get seriously gouged on them elsewhere)
Overwound strat pickups
Roller TOM(so far, two months no complaints, may change after I get the bigsby on)

And not the ones I know are bad:
Dream 180
non-overwound strat pickups
"Boutique" strat pickups
ANY tremolo arms
Anything in the clearance they won't put the GFS name on

Now, this leaves alot left to explore, which I tend to do, unless strongly advised by people who've used the items before.

Quote by cobain_is_king
Quote by ninja23
Whatever dude you make me laugh with your $30 pre wired pickguard. One thing that aggravates me. You don't know me. DONT TELL ME WHAT i WOULD RATHER DO WITH MY MONEY. Since you think you know me so well, let me tell you, you are wrong. So according to you I would rather have a name on the bottom of my pups and junk electronics in my guitar and a crappy valveking amp or something marshall mg maybe, line 6 spider lll.

LoL Right after I bought my Les Paul, I bought my SD Alnico ll pros. I installed 4 new CTS 500k pots and 2 vintage 1959 Bumblebee capacitors. And bought a 50ft. spool of vintage single conductor braided shielding wire to re wire my guitar, because I have yet to find a guitar that was wired good enough for me to like. I already have a great Marshall 100w tube head and nice cab.

So I am the ignorant one one you make false statements about ppl you don't like. Explain to me how I would rather have a name on the BOTTOM of my pickups, then save money for quality pots and amps.

Vs.

Quote by Iansmitchell
GFS are EXCELLENT pickups, not even considering the price, I'd pay 75 bucks each if I had to, particularly for the mean 90s.

sounds like a tone-off to me

everybody has their own morals and preferences. Also everyones ears are different..what one person might think is godlike tone another might think its terrible. Its what makes tone unique.

If everybody was after perfect tone we'd all be Eric Johnson

we can dream....
Quote by ninja23
I installed 4 new CTS 500k pots and 2 vintage 1959 Bumblebee capacitors.

How do you know they were 1959? They don't have date codes on them.
I know the person who pulled them out of a 1959 Les Paul and checked their tolerance then sold them to me. He does a lot of custom work on old guitars.
Well a, why you guys bitching about how Ninja wants to spend his money, it sounds like he is like me, when he gets the money he buys parts as he go, but he probably has a better job than me (I barely got one) so he has the ability to buy a little better quality stuff than I do. Plus he's working on making the guitar better. I thought this was a board of people who wanted to help each other and learn, no vicer about some piss poor ****ing thing. I mean my god. I ask about mod boards and you guys are bitching about me not wanting to waste time sodering. Well I got newsw for you folks, unlike alot of you I don't have a ton of time to soder, it takes away from the time I could be playing my guitar. I mean my god people, you are like most people, bitch bitch bitch. I've only been on one forum where the only reason people bitched was cause thats how we showed we care.... (We may be stupid, your french) Plus I search and search, and I can't find it, anyone know what the hell a Jimmy Page circuit is, and is it worth having? Oh wait you guys are to busy bitching about how Ninja wants to spend his money! Are you his wife? NO! GF? NO! (Sorry if wife/GF is on here and reading this) Let the guy spend his money how he wants. And like most of you, who like to ask questions, I guess I'll start being a dick to those who want to be a dick to me. Oh Thanks salty for the offer, I pm'd you.
Guitar
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Amp
Effects
Crybaby
Keely BD2
(\__/)
(")_(")
Quote by Entrant_21

everybody has their own morals and preferences. Also everyones ears are different..what one person might think is godlike tone another might think its terrible. Its what makes tone unique.

If everybody was after perfect tone we'd all be Eric Johnson

we can dream....

Thats not a dream... I would rather sound like Page than Johnson, but Johnson is good.
Guitar
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Amp
Effects
Crybaby
Keely BD2
(\__/)
(")_(")
I'd rather sound like my own tone.
Anyone else agree?

Quote by cobain_is_king
Quote by LesPaulCowboy
Well a, why you guys bitching about how Ninja wants to spend his money, it sounds like he is like me, when he gets the money he buys parts as he go, but he probably has a better job than me (I barely got one) so he has the ability to buy a little better quality stuff than I do. Plus he's working on making the guitar better. I thought this was a board of people who wanted to help each other and learn, no vicer about some piss poor ****ing thing. I mean my god. I ask about mod boards and you guys are bitching about me not wanting to waste time sodering. Well I got newsw for you folks, unlike alot of you I don't have a ton of time to soder, it takes away from the time I could be playing my guitar. I mean my god people, you are like most people, bitch bitch bitch. I've only been on one forum where the only reason people bitched was cause thats how we showed we care.... (We may be stupid, your french) Plus I search and search, and I can't find it, anyone know what the hell a Jimmy Page circuit is, and is it worth having? Oh wait you guys are to busy bitching about how Ninja wants to spend his money! Are you his wife? NO! GF? NO! (Sorry if wife/GF is on here and reading this) Let the guy spend his money how he wants. And like most of you, who like to ask questions, I guess I'll start being a dick to those who want to be a dick to me. Oh Thanks salty for the offer, I pm'd you.

Thats agreed. There is a lot of bitchiness about and I try to avoid it mostly.

Here the Jimmy Page stly wiring diagram. basically its an all mod cons sorta system. This diagram uses DPDT switch pots but you could easily replace those with a tidy row of small switches (2 SPDT/SPSTs and 2 DPDTs) if you're not keen on changing your pots:

Quote by LesPaulCowboy
Thats not a dream... I would rather sound like Page than Johnson, but Johnson is good.

Depends on your background and taste in music! Everyone should have their own goal
TS - i owe you an apology. but i also gave my original input, then saw other starting to bitch about things, and not letting you make a decision. i just think it's your time to make a descision. it'll take 30 minutes at the most to solder, and i think if you're looking for this tone, by all means buy it and give it a shot. if you don't want a gamble, then you'll have to invest in/ build pedals which i doubt you'll want to do.

Ninja 23 - i have to take things literally. i'm not talking to you in person, i do not know what you mean when you type. if you say permanent, i'm assuming you mean permanent and not temporary. I told him to make up his mind because none of us can really help him that much if none of us yet have bought it. It's the honest truth.

Iansmitchell - you have the right idea. GFS does make excellent products for those of us that cannot afford all top of the line 1959 caps

i would also rather sound like my own tone.

Entrant_21 - you are exactly right. everyone has their own tone. no one can argue about anyone elses. nice of you to give TS that diagram also

SO, TS, i think you should buy the board and give it a shot. i know you might not have the time, etc, but wouldn't it be worth it in the end if it turned out to be really nice? So honestly, i say buy it, and do that wiring diagram, and you'll be set. best of luck wither way.
Quote by Invader Jim
Thank you Jim, I appreciate it, apology accepted. I am thinking about pedals, (Premade) but I am interested in that wiring diagram. It sounds pretty neat. I guess I do need to make my decision. I think I will go with the jimmy page wiring diagram. I'll wait till I see a good board, like something from big name company. So thank you guys a million I want the wiring before I want a board. Now how about pots for a SG like that? but thank you guys a million. Really help.

Entrant, thank you for the wiring diagram. Want a hug? And it's our diversity in tone that makes each of us the 'rocker' we are. I grew up with LP's out the ass. (LP's as in records) SO thanks a million
Guitar
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Amp
Effects
Crybaby
Keely BD2
(\__/)
(")_(")
TS, the pots you're looking for are push/pull pots. you can buy those at guitarfetish, Small Bear, Guitar Eletronics, almost any site like that. it's really just a regular pot with a DPDT switch attached. With four you'll get many pickup combinations, I'm sure you'll find at least one setting you'll love and stick to mostly. looks cool

also, TS, i've done some research for you. guitar electronics has exactly what you're looking for now in a kit for an okay price. It seems to be decent quality stuff, or you could just buy seperate, your choice. if you do order from them, buy some copper tape and get rid of that buzz too!

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/PKJP2/Jimmy_Page_Style_Les_Paul_Kit.html

hope it might help you, at least shows you what you're looking for.

good luck!
Quote by Invader Jim
Quote by ninja23
I know the person who pulled them out of a 1959 Les Paul and checked their tolerance then sold them to me. He does a lot of custom work on old guitars.

That's really cool. What were their values when they were pulled? I have a hard time finding bumblebees that haven't drifted too much (almost always upwards). I've had much better luck with Vitamin Qs, for good reason.
Why were they pulled, by the way? Taking the original bumblebees out of a 59 LP probably knocked $1000 off the price, even more if the electronics weren't touched before that.
Quote by Roc8995
That's really cool. What were their values when they were pulled? I have a hard time finding bumblebees that haven't drifted too much (almost always upwards). I've had much better luck with Vitamin Qs, for good reason.
Why were they pulled, by the way? Taking the original bumblebees out of a 59 LP probably knocked $1000 off the price, even more if the electronics weren't touched before that.

It was a busted up Les paul beyond fixing. I guess he was parting it out. They were supposed to be .018. One measured out at .017 the other was .015. I put the .015 in the neck, combined with my alnico ll pros.... Sweet. This thing sounds smoother then a gibson.

I might be able to get more. What value and price are you looking for. I paid $55 shipped for mine.
I have a good source for Qs that I like better, especially at $10/per.
Are you sure that they were supposed to be .018s? I thought all the originals were .022?
Actually yes you are right. I was looking at .018 q's as well. I know they actually tested out at .015 and .017. My meter wont test for capacitance so I watch a buddy do it on his.

He has a bunch of other caps right now. He sells a lot of Q's for around $10 a piece. If yours test out good then $10 is a good deal. He told me he had these and I had to go for them at $25 a piece. They were honestly the best upgrade I have done sofar.
Huh, that sounds like a intresting mod, I would like to add to my pick ups. Man my neck is WAY HOT, so hot it makes my bridge sounds quiet XD
Guitar
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Amp
Effects
Crybaby
Keely BD2
(\__/)
(")_(")
TS, did you even read my previous post..?
Quote by Invader Jim