I'm a beginner, and my two guitars aren't anything to start writing a book about (Ibanez RG3 and a mexican strat), but over the weekend I played a little bit on a EC-100QM through a 15 watt Vox modelling amp. I was really impressed with how this guitar played. The fretboard felt great, bends were easy, and the tone was way better than I expected from a $250 guitar. I certainly felt that it played far better than either of my two guitars. The only thing I didn't like was the painted neck, but that's nothing that some steel wool wouldn't fix. I had to get the hell out of the store before I came home with a guitar that I didn't need.

Anybody else pick up a cheap guitar and find that it really exceeded their expectations?
I have a cheap guitar, with the string, oh my god , the string are so HIGH , you wouldn't believe it. it realy suck ... but I still love playing with it ( even if I have another guitar that is pretty good ) because when I came back to my new guitar ... I realy appreciate that the string are close to the fretboard

sorry for my english I,m a french canadian
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Lol at Bender

Quote by So-Cal

Quote by theguitarist

I got to warn you for spam though...

Quote by Shredoftheday
Nicely put good sir

I witnessed Night Of The Pear 2
Modelling amp?

As far as 'cheap guitars' go, I love my MIM Strat.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
Quote by roythereaper
Modelling amp?

Yeah I would have to agree. MIM Fenders are pretty awesome for the price.

Co-Founder of The Weakerthans Fan Club
PM me or TechnicolorBoy to join.

My music --> Check it out!
Quote by roythereaper
Modelling amp?

Who cares what amp I used? I played the guitar for 5 minutes at low volume in a guitar shop. I was interested in how it played above much else. I've played on that particular Vox a couple times in the past, and while it's no tube amp, it's sufficient for a 5 minute audition.
Quote by Jim85IROC
Who cares what amp I used? I played the guitar for 5 minutes at low volume in a guitar shop. I was interested in how it played above much else. I've played on that particular Vox a couple times in the past, and while it's no tube amp, it's sufficient for a 5 minute audition.

Because, and correct me if I'm wrong, if you were wanting to assess a guitar you'll look at, amongst other things, the tone you get out of it.

Playing through an MG and playing through a Bluesbreaker would give entirely different results. As you say, you were interested in playability but your first post does say "surprisingly good tone".
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
Quote by roythereaper
Because, and correct me if I'm wrong, if you were wanting to assess a guitar you'll look at, amongst other things, the tone you get out of it.

Playing through an MG and playing through a Bluesbreaker would give entirely different results. As you say, you were interested in playability but your first post does say "surprisingly good tone".
I liked the tone, and considering it was coming out of an amp that I'm not particularly fond of, I would expect even better things from a better amp. The clean tone that I heard could be criticized for ages, but considering that it was a $250 guitar, what I heard exceeded my expectations. As is always the case, your milage may vary.
yeah there are some good cheap guitars out there. I played a Johnson stratocaster at a shop the other day for $150. it was the color scheme that caught my attention (vintage yellow-white with maple fretboard) but when played it, it wasn't bad for a cheap guitar. i might go back and get it once i get some money.
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100