right . . . im not a tree hugger and a prius is the worst car to have ever been dreamed up

. . . but i have it in my head that it would be good to do make my guitar using wood that hasn't been cut down, almost specifically with me making a guitar for. you know, i feel bad that somewhere a mahog tree has been grwing for 2 billion years and then im gonna make an instrument out of it thats prob gonna be crap.

so i tried to aquire some old wood - i got some teak, but turns out its teak laminate on top of chip board. new plan - where could i find some wood, suibtable for making a guitar, that is used, or in the very least going to go to waste elsewhere? i looked at reclamation yards and stuff, but its all kind of expensive, and most of it is warped because whatever it was used for could warp to its hearts content with no worries.

im not willing to buy a crap piece of wood just to fulfill the idea of eco guitar thing, but by the same standard, i dont wanna resort to buying some big blocks of mahog - any ideas?
Quote by CobenBlack
right . . . im not a tree hugger and a prius is the worst car to have ever been dreamed up

. . . but i have it in my head that it would be good to do make my guitar using wood that hasn't been cut down, almost specifically with me making a guitar for. you know, i feel bad that somewhere a mahog tree has been grwing for 2 billion years and then im gonna make an instrument out of it thats prob gonna be crap.

so i tried to aquire some old wood - i got some teak, but turns out its teak laminate on top of chip board. new plan - where could i find some wood, suibtable for making a guitar, that is used, or in the very least going to go to waste elsewhere? i looked at reclamation yards and stuff, but its all kind of expensive, and most of it is warped because whatever it was used for could warp to its hearts content with no worries.

im not willing to buy a crap piece of wood just to fulfill the idea of eco guitar thing, but by the same standard, i dont wanna resort to buying some big blocks of mahog - any ideas?

What a great idea, i have a bit of a rapour with my local woodyard as the owner went to school with my dad so i tend to get my wood at knock down prices from him he lets me have the offcuts. I suggest a friendly visit to a woodyard!
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Would some sort of bamboo make a half way decent susbtitute for conventional tone wood? I was looking at my cutting board the other day and pondered that. Anyone have any idea?
What you own is your own kingdom
What you do is your own glory
What you love is your own power
What you live is your own story
hmm. . . . someone was actually mentioning bamboo a bit ago to me - but isn't it usually circular? so i mean i could make a mean raft out of it, but i dont know how well it would flatten.

i think i saw ray mears make a table top out of one, but when he unfolded it it was like cardboard - i think id need about a million layers to get it to a decent thickness.
Bamboo will not work. Circular an hollow. Check out old furniture at yard sales and stuff. old mahagony or oak table or desk might work nice
Bamboo flattens out pretty well actually. I have a cutting board made out of it. I figure if you can make a block out of it then it's worth a try. You could make a raft out of it, but if you take a moment to think outside of the box, the possibilities are pretty plentiful. You are now all 2 cents richer.
What you own is your own kingdom
What you do is your own glory
What you love is your own power
What you live is your own story
Quote by wanderingbudoka
Bamboo flattens out pretty well actually. I have a cutting board made out of it. I figure if you can make a block out of it then it's worth a try. You could make a raft out of it, but if you take a moment to think outside of the box, the possibilities are pretty plentiful. You are now all 2 cents richer.

see now i thought it would flatten out, but i was thinking maybe due to the fact that it would have to be un foiled so to speak - it might not be very stable?i will look into cutting boards tho, to see how they do it. if it seems do-able i'll give it a blast. i shall also give this junk yard coffee table idea a go.
Quote by CobenBlack
yeah, that might be an idea - i was thinking of offcuts, but was never really sure whether they would be large enough.

well, if you found a few large enough peices, you could bond them together. most guitars, even expensive ones, are actually at least two peices of wood. one peice will almost def. warp, while two or three peices wont. and you cant really hear the difference between 1 piece and 2 or three. even eric johnsons sig has a two peice.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
i saw some eco friendly flame tops on ebay not long ago, they were the bits that would have normally been thrown away or something, but they had some pretty decent flame on them
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
ive just got in touch with a guy based in the uk who deals in wood that has been grown using renewable sources, and im he's looking for some offcuts for me to see if he has anything that could be big enough (i told him it could be 2 or 3 pieces if necessary) he deals in british grown woods tho, such as maple, oak and birch. so i'll just have to see what he comes back with. i know maple is good, but if its expensive then i'm still not buying it.