I own a Valve King 212 and i bought it instead of the 112 because someone was selling it for 400 dollars used with new tubes so i went for it. IT SOUNDS GREAT!!! at least compared to my old mg . the only problem with it is that for my music room, i hardly bring it above 1 on volume since its 100W and its really annoying to have to go and struggle to make it soft enough to not kill my ears or tick off the neighbors. I heard of these things called attenuators that let you crank the amp, pushing the tubes for good tone without it blasting. So is that how those things work? do they mess up your tone? are there any good, cheap ones that you would suggest?
I have a THD Hot Plate that works fairly well on some amps, & not so well on others. I know Weber makes good attenuators also, but I haven't tried one yet. I'd definitely try one with your VK first before buying one, since they do take a bit of the liveliness from your tone & make it smoother sounding.
Another solution is pulling the 2 outer or 2 inner tubes on your amp, dropping the wattage to 50W. I do this on one of my amps, & it works great. The only thing is that you must set the amp's output impedance to half the speaker load, such as if you're running a 16 ohm speaker, the amp output should be set to 8 ohms. I'm not sure if the VK is capable of that, but it works on my amp.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Ask the laney thread on how to do that exactly.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
If it has selectable impedance, yes, if not, no. Weber attenuators are good and cheap.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
If it has selectable impedance, yes, if not, no. Weber attenuators are good and cheap.

yea the VK has 4, 8, and 16 ohms
Ok then, pull the two tubes and set the impedance to half of what it normally is, so if it's at 16 now set it to 8, if it's at 8 now set it to 4.
I'd like to point out that pulling the two power amp tubes doesn't drop the volume that significantly...

I would suggest an attenuater, either Hot Plate or Mass..

Hot Plates with work with anything up to around 180 watts or so per the specifications, but you have to match model to your impedance..

Webers will work with practically any impedence, but the model has to meet or exceed the wattage of your amp, preferrably by 50%..
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
^But it will drop the headroom making it sound more cranked at lower volumes.
yeah, pulling power tubes doesn't unnecessarily make the amp quieter, it just lowers the headroom.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
explain what headroom is? i've heard it so many times but i'm not sure what it actually means
Headroom essentially means clean volume.
So, your amp will overdrive sooner if you pull a pair of the output tubes, etc.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
If you leave all the tubes in, you can play with a clean tone at higher volumes before the amp starts breaking up.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by Kevin Saale
Weber....

http://www.tedweber.com/atten.htm

If you pulled two power tubes you could use a 100w attenuator.

That just kind of seems like a ridiculous solution for the sake of saving a buck or two...

Get an attenuator that can handle your amp "as it is"...
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Quote by RCShadow
I just got the Mass Lite from Weber and all I can say is WOW!

Chris

how much did you pay for it?
Quote by One on Sunday
how much did you pay for it?

$125 + shipping. Ted also made me two cables for $4/ea. He made one for the cab and one that could be plugged into the back of the Weber for headphones. For $4, I thought geesh, I couldn't buy one for that cheap.

Chris