I'm getting close but no cigar - what effects does EJ use for Cliffs of Dover, especially the live performance at the House of Blues?
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Fender American Strat/Tele->Vox V847 Wah->EH LPB-1->BK Butler Tube Driver->Big Muff Pi->MXR Carbon Copy->EH Small Clone->Vox AC30/Orange Tiny Terror/Blues Deluxe RI
Amp distortion.
Wrong forum.
Reported.

Nobody respond further.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Jun 23, 2008,
Oh shizzle, this is Musician Talk. I thought I was in guitar gear at the time, hah.
Mod move, please?

Thanks for the info, btw.
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Fender American Strat/Tele->Vox V847 Wah->EH LPB-1->BK Butler Tube Driver->Big Muff Pi->MXR Carbon Copy->EH Small Clone->Vox AC30/Orange Tiny Terror/Blues Deluxe RI
On Ah Via Musicom, the tone comes from an ES-335 with the tone rolled off on the bridge to match the neck pickup, through a Marshall Plexi (many believe this to be a Dumble tone, but the Dumbles were used for dirty rhythms). There are small amounts of analog chorus and delay to give a "liquid" element to the tone. The lack of noticeable pick attack is mostly due to Eric's technique. A Strat is used for a few seconds of the solo, very obvious if you have a good ear for tone.

On the HOB version, the clean sounds are the Strat through two Fender Twin Reverbs run in stereo, again with a little chorus and delay (TC SCF for chorus, delay is provided via an MXR1500 for the hold function, a Deluxe Memory Man for short delay and a vintage Echoplex for the longer delay. I'd imagine the lead sound is the just the Strat with the bridge pickup tone rolled off to match the neck, through a Butler Tube Driver (which can be seen on his board in the video, if you know what to look for) and again into a Plexi.

It's a very difficult and very expensive tone to achieve, and I've seen people who've replicated his gear not manage to get too close to his tone. Best of luck trying to cop the sound.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.