I've got a few years of playing under my belt, and I'm looking to expand my rig. While the first thing I want to get is an ebow, I'm also looking at pedals. I currently have a Vox FX modeling amp, so I've experimented with different FX types. However, with only this amp and a simple two-channel foot switch I'm fairly limited in how I can combine or switch between them.

What brands should I look at for various FX? Obviously, I see a lot of Boss pedals, but when I go to shows I also see a number of more obscure pedal brands being used by J. Mascis, Jerry Cantrell, King Buzzo, Curt Kirkwood, etc. Is there a single company that I should look at for most effects, or are there particular brands that excel only with specific effect types? Thanks.
Gear
  • 2004 Am. Strat
  • 2004 Mex. Tele
  • 2005 Esteve Classical

• Vox Valvetronix AD15VT w/ foot switch

• Vox 847
  • EH Stereo Polychorus
  • Ibanez TS-808
  • EH Big Muff Germanium 4
  • EH Small Clone
  • EH Small Stone (USA Ver 2)
  • EH LPB-1
  • PlusEBow
Last edited by ns9977a at Jun 23, 2008,
I dont think you should really get any pedals for a modeling amp where that effect is already in that amp. Can you get a more versatile foot controller for it or is that all they offer? A pedal to look into would be a wah(my suggestion would be bad horsie II by Morley), and if its not on the amp also delay. (BOSS)
Quote by sowhat360
I dont think you should really get any pedals for a modeling amp where that effect is already in that amp. Can you get a more versatile foot controller for it or is that all they offer? A pedal to look into would be a wah(my suggestion would be bad horsie II by Morley), and if its not on the amp also delay. (BOSS)

It's all they offer.

You can only set one effect to the button. Works on/off. So you can't use the other 11 without changing the settings on the amp.
The Amp is only a 15watt with no additional output ports, so good for practice but probably not big enough for gigs. It models single effects at a time and allows you to save two channels, so it does not provide much in terms of effect layering or switching, just A/B/off.
Gear
  • 2004 Am. Strat
  • 2004 Mex. Tele
  • 2005 Esteve Classical

• Vox 847
  • EH Stereo Polychorus
  • Ibanez TS-808
  • EH Small Clone
  • EH LPB-1
  • PlusEBow
Wah. The Auto Wah blows hardcore, so a wah would be the first thing I would get.
Is there a brand of wah you'd recommend?
Gear
  • 2004 Am. Strat
  • 2004 Mex. Tele
  • 2005 Esteve Classical

• Vox 847
  • EH Stereo Polychorus
  • Ibanez TS-808
  • EH Small Clone
  • EH LPB-1
  • PlusEBow
Well, if you want a classic wah tone, I'd say a Vox. That's what I use through my AD50VT.