I recently bought an LTD EC 1000 and had it restrung by my teacher because i couldnt be bothered to do it myself. When i tune it down to drop C it sounds terrible and always out of tune with not a lot of string definition. I know that the former owner used 9 gauge strings and it may have been restrung with 10, would this cause these kind of problems? I am surprised as I heard very good things about the EC 1000 in dropped tunings.
Because tens aren't really heavy enough for Drop C.

And you couldn't be bothered to restring your own guitar? Jeez...
Funny words.
Did it sound ok that low with 9's ? U do really need 12s or at least 11s if ur in c standard. Its prob the combination of that guitars short scale and the low string tension
Quote by I_Am_Iron_Man

And you couldn't be bothered to restring your own guitar? Jeez...

Yeah I am quite lazy, also he gets really good strings for dead cheap.

So has anyone else played an EC 1000 and experienced this or is this definitely the setup?
Quote by Orethor
Did it sound ok that low with 9's ? U do really need 12s or at least 11s if ur in c standard. Its prob the combination of that guitars short scale and the low string tension

I had it restrung soon after receiving but yeah I think you're right the string tension is definitely responsible. Also the 6th string always goes out of tune and the pitch of the note decreases slightly after playing the string.
Quote by Orethor

Im not in c standard, im in drop c: C G C F A D
Heres how I go about string gauge and tuning:

.09 - E standard
.10 - D standard
.11 - C standard
.12 - B standard
.13 - A standard

I use Ernie Ball Slinky's, heavy bottom. I like my top 3 strings thick for nice chunky riffs and bottom 3 skinny for easy bends and vibrato on solos. In your case it sounds like the guitar is not setup properly, it should handle drop C with .10's no problem. Clean the nut and check that you have brand machine heads and not cheap esp ltd ones; if you are having tuning stability problem its usually due to crappy machine heads, dirty nut or incorrect restringing on the bridge (strings aren't in their place... but I dunno how you can mess that up on a fixed bridge).
ive got an ec 1000 and have never had any problems...
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
I use 11 - 54 for drop C on my Viper. Tension's fine.

EDIT: @ HeXeL, what scale is your guitar?
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
mines good, is it all setup right?
Member of the Jackson RR24 Owners club!

Esp Eclipse II Snow white
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RGA-8
Jackson RR24 Black w/yellow bevels, Limited 1/75
Yamaha FG-400A
thicker guage strings (as already posted) also you might want to raise the action a bit if there's string buzz
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Dude, the EC 1000 has locking tuners, which make string changing into a 3 minute job rather than a 20 minute job, AND YOU CAN'T BE BOTHERED? Have you ever learned a song, or could you not be bothered...?

Jesus H Christ on a Bike, that's the most irritating thing I've heard in weeks.

I play in D standard/Drop C, and I use 11-56.

Quote by HeXeL
Heres how I go about string gauge and tuning:

.09 - E standard
.10 - D standard
.11 - C standard
.12 - B standard
.13 - A standard

I use Ernie Ball Slinky's, heavy bottom. I like my top 3 strings thick for nice chunky riffs and bottom 3 skinny for easy bends and vibrato on solos. In your case it sounds like the guitar is not setup properly, it should handle drop C with .10's no problem. Clean the nut and check that you have brand machine heads and not cheap esp ltd ones; if you are having tuning stability problem its usually due to crappy machine heads, dirty nut or incorrect restringing on the bridge (strings aren't in their place... but I dunno how you can mess that up on a fixed bridge).

This is a very good list. My strings are thicker because I like the tension, and I get better tone out of it, but that is a good indication of what you should be doing, that list.

The EC1000 has Sperzel Locking tuners.
Last edited by TurdFerguson at Jun 23, 2008,