Hi all,
I'm playing a les paul without humbucker covers.
Would it effect the sound if i put covers at my humbuckers?
Greetings!
I dont think so. My reasoning being...if it did then why would they do it ?
Nice reasoning, although why aren't there any in the first place? Is it just for aesthetics?
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Some pickups you cannot remove the cover from. It's aesthetics/design choice.
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Fender American Strat/Tele->Vox V847 Wah->EH LPB-1->BK Butler Tube Driver->Big Muff Pi->MXR Carbon Copy->EH Small Clone->Vox AC30/Orange Tiny Terror/Blues Deluxe RI
Uhm, protecting the pickups is the least of most peoples concerns. It pretty much does nothing but look good. They may hold the pickup in place too (like on a Strat)
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Fender American Strat/Tele->Vox V847 Wah->EH LPB-1->BK Butler Tube Driver->Big Muff Pi->MXR Carbon Copy->EH Small Clone->Vox AC30/Orange Tiny Terror/Blues Deluxe RI
From what i've been told and found out, the covers don't change the sound or tone as much as what it is potted with does.

Originally Posted by CorduroyEW
wax potting does change the tone, but so does shellac, epoxy, or lacquer. Potting with epoxy or wax is going to make the pickup sound less airy than shellac or lacquer because epoxy and wax hold the wires absolutly solid. Epoxy will give you better top end than wax too. Something like shellac will give you more mellow airy tone with slightly rolled off high end. It's very vintage sounding. Lacquer doesn't roll off the high end as much as shellac. So the best potting depends on your aplication. I look at potting as a way to manipulate your tone. If done right it won't rob your tone away, it just changes it
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
they don't change enough for the human ear to tell. you may loose a tiny bit on the high end, but nothing major. it is all for looks, no matter what everyone says. on an epic LP, would you rather have open coils or a nice looking gold block cover? i like the covers on some, open on others.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
i think that as far as tone variables go, pickup potting is pretty much the last thing to worry about. a shellac potted EMG through a mesa stack will not sound vintage.
It will change the sound a bit. The cover, in addition to shielding the pickup, make it just a bit more smooth and muddy, with less highs and more mids. Uncovered pickups are a little crunchier, with more highs an lows and scooped mids (hence why metal players love 'em), but are also a little noisier due to the lack of a cover. And yes, you CAN hear the difference.

Ask CorduroyEW.
well, you learn something new everyday
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by LesPaulRules
Hi all,
I'm playing a les paul without humbucker covers.
Would it effect the sound if i put covers at my humbuckers?
Greetings!

Plastic covers will not change tone but they don't help shield the pickup or anything which makes them kind of pointless.

Metal covers will help reduce noise so they do serve a purpose but they lower the output of the pickup slightly and they give you a darker tone. Chrome covers change tone the most, plated nickel change it slightly less, and raw nickel changes it the least.
Not taking any online orders.