Should I buy the Peavey Valveking half stack for $950, or should I get just the head for $530 and a separate cab?

If getting a separate cab is a good idea, then what cab should I get?

I don't want to spend more than $1000.

Or, should I get the 212 Combo Amp?

Either way, I'm financing it.

What is the difference betwen the Combo Amp and the Stack if they are both 100W?
get another cab if youre looking for the head. peavey's vk speakers arent the best things ever. look at aviator cabs preferiably their 2x12's
Quote by killthequeen
Should I buy the Peavey Valveking half stack for $950, or should I get just the head for $530 and a separate cab?

If getting a separate cab is a good idea, then what cab should I get?

I don't want to spend more than $1000.

Or, should I get the 212 Combo Amp?

Either way, I'm financing it.

What is the difference betwen the Combo Amp and the Stack if they are both 100W?

Get the 50 watt 1x12 combo, spending any more than that on a valveking completely removes the point of it being a budget amp.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
I would guess that the point of the stack would be versatility. You can mix and match brands, etc.
Quote by timi_hendrix
Get the 50 watt 1x12 combo, spending any more than that on a valveking completely removes the point of it being a budget amp.

but i need at least 100 watts
Quote by killthequeen
but i need at least 100 watts

Why?

Not doubting you, just curious.
Quote by TheProducer
Why?

Not doubting you, just curious.

I already have a 75 watt amp and I need to compete with the other guitarist in my band who has a Spider 3 HD75 Half stack.
Quote by One on Sunday
get another cab if youre looking for the head. peavey's vk speakers arent the best things ever. look at aviator cabs preferiably their 2x12's

I can't find anywhere that sells aviator cabs!!
Quote by killthequeen
I already have a 75 watt amp and I need to compete with the other guitarist in my band who has a Spider 3 HD75 Half stack.

A 50 watt Valveking will more than keep up with that halfstack, in fact it's well capable of decimating it. And will sound way better.

Trust me, I have a 50 watt valve amp and it is LOUD.

My Music
Turn the hell down. Haha.

Seriously, think about turning down and using PA to mic things up. If you both keep competing it's just going to turn into a muddy mess. Especially when no one can here the drummer anymore.
Quote by killthequeen

lol, a 50 watt tube like the Peavey Valveking 112 is all you need to surpass in volume a spider 3 hd75 half stack

I vote for peavey valveking 112

EDIT:
Quote by timi_hendrix
A 50 watt Valveking will more than keep up with that halfstack, in fact it's well capable of decimating it. And will sound way better.

ugh, beat me to it
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by timi_hendrix

But those are 150 watts, how does that make sense?
Quote by killthequeen
But those are 150 watts, how does that make sense?

got a music store, put a valveking on 10, then the line 6 on 10....then you will hear

tube=fuller sound, louder
I think you should just save your $$$ and get him to shove his ego and turn down. Solid state or not, you guys probably don't need to play at a full 150 watts.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
huh?

how are you calculating that?

He has a 150 watt spider 3 half stack, and if i have a 50 watt peavey valveking tube amp, how is mine gonna compare if his has 3 times the power?

I'm guessing the fact that valveking is tube and spider is solid state makes a difference>?
Quote by killthequeen

I'm guessing the fact that valveking is tube and spider is solid state makes a difference>?

huge differnce...
Quote by killthequeen
He has a 150 watt spider 3 half stack, and if i have a 50 watt peavey valveking tube amp, how is mine gonna compare if his has 3 times the power?

Read that thread I linked you to FFS.

My Music
Quote by killthequeen

exactly
Yep. The valveking will be equally as if not louder, and sound a hell of a lot better.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by timi_hendrix

I have been for the past 10 minutes
Quote by timi_hendrix

and i mean a difference in volume, not a difference in tone.

the whole reason for getting a tube amp instead of the same goddamn spyder 3 hd75 is so i don't sound like a solid state piece of ****.
Quote by killthequeen

and i mean a difference in volume, not a difference in tone.

the whole reason for getting a tube amp instead of the same goddamn spyder 3 hd75 is so i don't sound like a solid state piece of ****.

Finish reading it before you post again then, if you'd read it properly you'd know by now that valve amps are louder than solid states of the same wattage and that SS amps turn to crap at high volumes whereas valve amps sound better.

Have a gold star for your mad wicked reading skillz.

My Music
Put it this way.

I can get over a drummer with a 5 watt valve amp.

I can give myself a headache very quickly with a 30 watt valve amp.

I can make my drummer struggle to be heard at all with a 100 watt valve amp.

You will drown out your fellow guitarist with a 50 watter, even a 112.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
AHA!! So, basically, the wattage isn't a measure of volume-it's just a measure of the amp's power output.

I did done learn about amps today
true - i remember some posting recently (don't remember who or if it was specific to Valveking but the difference between 50 watts and 100 watts was like 3 decibles.

i think the difference has more to do with 'headroom' which is the amount of space or volume crank you have before tube break up which is that special place we love. if i'm wrong someone please correct me.

one of my deciding factors on the Valveking over say a Fender Hot Rod, was that because the VK is voiced more for Rock or Metal i was getting (get) tube break up starting around Volume 4 on the VK if the Gain is matched.

hope that helps or adds on
The stack is a stack its the same amp just its got a seperate 4x12 cab and the combo has 2 built in 12"speakers. If you get the combo the speakers should be replaced you can get 2 warehouse guitar speaker veteran 30s for $100 and they sound great. If you get the stack just get a different cab the peavey speakers suck. Also you might want to consider that the combo weighs like 75 pounds if you plan on moving it around a lot.
yours would be tube his isnt, tube amps are way louder

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker