I recently began teaching a friend of mine how to play the acoustic guitar.. I myself am self taught and have been playing for 2 years...I am more of an electric guy, so i was wondering if anyone could help my out, to as what are good beginner acoustic songs and excercises other then just chords....thanks for any help
It's going to be hard on his fingers so most of all teach him patience. A few open chords will have him set for at least a week or two so I wouldn't worry about any songs at the moment.

I would recommend G, C, D7 G in that order, because they can all be played openly, they are a good place to start and since they are a I IV V I in G major lots and lots of songs will be based from it.

G:320003
C: x32010
D7: xx0212

Make sure he practises it really really slowly and accurately and check any bad habits he might develop and cut them out. That way he'll progress faster and will be an overall better player. Good luck.

Quote by confusius
It's going to be hard on his fingers so most of all teach him patience. A few open chords will have him set for at least a week or two so I wouldn't worry about any songs at the moment.

I would recommend G, C, D7 G in that order, because they can all be played openly, they are a good place to start and since they are a I IV V I in G major lots and lots of songs will be based from it.

G:320003
C: x32010
D7: xx0212

Make sure he practises it really really slowly and accurately and check any bad habits he might develop and cut them out. That way he'll progress faster and will be an overall better player. Good luck.

I am sort of teaching myself/watching JustinGuitar, and reading forums and whatnot. What kind of bad habits do you speak of? I really do not want to learn bad habits. Do you feel it's necessary to have a teacher early on?
I'd also (next to C, D7 and G) teach D, Dm, A, Am, E, Em, F (1123xx, teach this one last, it's the hardest one in this row). Those chords keep on coming back in all songs.
I eouldn't start with full chords, I learnt from playing simple songs and I grew a natural understanding of chords and can play more and know more about them than all the people I know who took lessons, so try some good simplish songs and work up, maybe throw in some scales, eventually you'll wanna build up his finger picking chops aswell.
House of the Rising Sun (although the F usually gives people the most trouble). Any single note songs, riffs, etc.
Mhmmm...

IMO beginners should steer clear of the F chord for at least a month. I remember when I first picked up guitar after playing violin for 5 years, I tried to do an Fmajor chord about two weeks after starting and I just could not get it and I already had some finger strength from violin so imagine what a beginner will feel like.
I would try and teach him the first part of stairway to heaven, it was my first real song and its great for warm-up exercises and fingerpicking exercise.you could first have your friend learn the chords of stairway to heaven first and then once he's got all the transistions down then tell him how to fingerpick it....just a suggestion
Hi,

Picking your first acoustic guitar is a very personal experience. Hardcore enthusiasts liken it to how, in tradition, a surfer picks a surfboard –he makes it. The beginner surfer picks the wood with which to build the board, and carves it into the ideal shape and size that can support his weight, style, and balance.

Luckily for first time guitar players, this surfing tradition hasn’t caught up with guitar playing yet.
good riddance, fade to black intro and main riff, here comes the sun, then after 3 month u can go with nothing else matters, tears in heaven jack jonhson stuff
Good Riddance (Time of your life) by Greenday is a good one to start or Horse with no name by America.
Although, I agree with Confusius. Teach him open chords, itll keep him set.
Hi,

Thanks for sharing such wonderful post! I feel there are no easy ways to master this instrument. You must practice hard to become a great guitar player. Always remember this, “The slower you go, the faster you will get there”. Get some online resources to be a perfect acoustic player.
Last edited by Robert2009 at Jun 2, 2009,