In about 2-3 weeks there is a festival my town hosts and they get bands to play there in a "Battle of the Bands" type of thing. I am the bassist from time to time for the group that I play with when they get the bright idea to try and get up a band to compete in a battle of the bands.

I got a call from the Drummer, one of the two that tries to pull these things together. Thinking maybe the setlist could have a couple of classic rock songs and then play some more contemporary stuff and touch on some generations of music instead of ONLY 70s and 80s, I say yes. Now they're holding practice at my house because I have my own drum set as well and the drummer won't have to use his little shed or bring his over(I specialize in the more rhythmic instruments, the spotlight IS NOT FOR ME).

Anyways, they've brainstormed ideas, and I was present at the time. I threw in some ideas of my own(and they are destined to be shot down, I can feel it). There isn't one song that is younger than 1989-1980.

So, I talked to one of the guitarists about it, I said that I don't think I can do most of the songs because I'll fall asleep due to lack of aggression, progression, and/or creativity(not as in creation of songs themselves, but the sheer fact that most bands from the 1970-1980s all have one song that pretty much tell you what they sound like). He understands, rather mellow about it.

I want to play with these guys, but I don't think I can go on playing Tom Petty, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Bon Jovi, and KISS for a whole HOUR. I wish I could convince them to move around in generations instead of staying in that particular era.

So now I need an argument for the drummer, he's the main one that I'm going to have problems with, and the singer as well, because he's just thirsty for stuff with singers that he can attempt to impersonate and think he's hot stuff(the guy that plays 3-4 chords on an acoustic guitar, sings the words on the same rhythm he strums on).

Any argument I've come up with has been shot down(by the drummer) because he says that 70s & 80s rock is still popular(DAMN YOU BABYBOOMERS!, well, its not your fault, its just that he also believes that Rock is the only form of music). Like I said, it's just the drummer and singer that I have the main problem with, everyone else kind of just goes with how things go.

What should I do? I don't want to be the guy that quits and leaves everyone hanging, but I also don't want to be the guy that loses his enjoyment for music because of a show with a set list he hates.
suggest some new songs to learn, and if they get shot down, quit, and hopefully this will leave them shambling to get u back in
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
You should put your interests at least on teh same level as others
music is to be enjoyed by the maker and listener
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Rock IS the only form of music.
Why can’t a heterosexual guy tell a heterosexual guy that he thinks his booty is fly?

Quote by Curious Jeff
These posts are too long. Just do some drugs
Quote by Teppe
Rock IS the only form of music I listen to becasue I am a close minded individual.

fixed
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
Well, that's kinda hateful.
Why can’t a heterosexual guy tell a heterosexual guy that he thinks his booty is fly?

Quote by Curious Jeff
These posts are too long. Just do some drugs
Quote by Teppe
Rock IS the only form of music.

Agreed. What you should do is suggest they play something else, if they deny, quit the band, but play the show with them just so they won't be left hanging. Then, try to start a band with some people who actually value your opinion, and will play some stuff you like.

Ps: Lol at ExtremeMetalFTW... I think rock is the best kind of music too, but I still listen to other kinds, besides, some people have their own opinions about what makes music, I mean, some people still think that Rap is music, although that's been scientifically discredited.
If you break a world speed record for a video game, are you a winner, or just someone who REALLY needs to go outside?

Quote by AdemaOnYourHead
My favorite Pokemon is still Dave Mustaine.
Last edited by mcrocks at Jun 23, 2008,
Been through this. Had the same problem in my first couple of bands. I ditched them and started doing my own thing. They don't do **** anymore...no one like them, no one listens to them. Me and my new drummer and virtually anyone else we jam with always score something good to listen to. We don't restrict ourselves. Don't be afraid to go off on your own and try something.
Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top w/ Seymour Duncans
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top w/ Dimarzios
Peavey Windsor Halfstack
MXR Distortion III
Dunlop Jazz 3 picks (Red)
DR Tite-fit 10's
Monster Cables
Quote by Sean-Man
suggest some new songs to learn, and if they get shot down, quit, and hopefully this will leave them shambling to get u back in

I would do that in a heart beat...if I didn't already try that once.

Also, if I quit, the Singer/Acoustic player and Drummer would shed everyone else off as well and just make it where it's those two.

Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
You should put your interests at least on teh same level as others
music is to be enjoyed by the maker and listener

My interests always come first, except in this situation 2 of the guitar players that could possibly be cut from the band if I quit are very good friends of mine, and they are looking forward to this.

Another problem is that in a little hick redneck town in Southern Indiana, you're not finding many bands that play Dream Theater, Opeth, Thr33, or Coheed and Cambria. Also, I'm starved to actually get to play in front of a crowd to get a taste of what its like as well, but thats never going to happen if I'm going to be in a "controlled environment" so to speak. You can't put a Progressive Metalhead in a classic rock band and expect him to perform at his greatest if his heart isn't into the music.

Now as I think about that, my only choice is to quit or feel like a sellout.

EDIT:

Quote by mcrocks
I mean, some people still think that Rap is music, although that's been scientifically discredited.

Sigged.
Last edited by death.prog at Jun 23, 2008,
Quote by Teppe
Well, that's kinda hateful.

I kid I kid
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
Maybe try and suggest a song slightly more towards what your into, but not so much that they don't like it. You know, try as many different types of songs that they might like and hope they like at least one of them
Quote by death.prog
I would do that in a heart beat...

Another problem is that in a little hick redneck town in Southern Indiana, you're not finding many bands that play Dream Theater, Opeth, Thr33, or Coheed and Cambria. Also, I'm starved to actually get to play in front of a crowd to get a taste of what its like as well, but thats never going to happen if I'm going to be in a "controlled environment" so to speak. You can't put a Progressive Metalhead in a classic rock band and expect him to perform at his greatest if his heart isn't into the music.

Now as I think about that, my only choice is to quit or feel like a sellout.

EDIT:

Sigged.

how about some classic prog rock?
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by kd420
Maybe try and suggest a song slightly more towards what your into, but not so much that they don't like it. You know, try as many different types of songs that they might like and hope they like at least one of them

I've tried that, there have been plenty of songs that the Drummer said he liked and "were awesome", but he'd throw them out of the proverbial window just because they weren't on an album that was a quad-platinum.
I think you should play because you will leave your friends hanging if you quit. Playing the show will probably not result in you losing enjoyment of music.
I had the same sort of problem with my old band. Wanting to play one Blink-182 song was bad enough, but they basically wanted to be a Blink-182 tribute band. So I left. And now, 'cause I'm not restricted, I enjoy playing much more, and have improved much more. And I got a free Marshall Valvestate out of it

Try introducing him to music that sounds kind of the same as what he likes, but from a band that you like, and then gradually manipulate him into listening to what you like (as well as what he likes, if possible). It sounds like it might take a while, but it can be really quick (a couple of days, sometimes) depending on the person. It's not really that evil either! You just play him some stuff similar to what he likes, then keep playing that band's music, and he does the work himself!
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
how about some classic prog rock?

As far as Rush, Yes, and King Crimson go, he said he would play Rush(only).

One problem though,

I'm the only one(as well as one of the guitarists) that knows how to get out of 4/4 time and not make it sound awful, and the rest of the band haven't advanced far enough in their timing and skill to work out of your standard 4/4 time signature.
Quote by death.prog
Sigged.

Yay! @ my first sig.
If you break a world speed record for a video game, are you a winner, or just someone who REALLY needs to go outside?

Quote by AdemaOnYourHead
Quote by death.prog
As far as Rush, Yes, and King Crimson go, he said he would play Rush(only).

One problem though,

I'm the only one(as well as one of the guitarists) that knows how to get out of 4/4 time and not make it sound awful, and the rest of the band haven't advanced far enough in their timing and skill to work out of your standard 4/4 time signature.

no king crimson?

well, how about an easy Rush song
might not be as enjoyable, but maybe they could pull it off
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
quit, u hate it. dont stay in it cuz they like it. music is for you, screw them

[edit] i did the same thing. i liked the music, and the other 3 members. but the bass player was kinda an ass. he picked the songs, we all liked em, but he would get pissed if u screwed up slightly. ho took it way to serious and robbed it of its fun for everyone.

so i kinda started my own 'band'. with me, a friend, and the drummer from that band i was in. all we need is a bassist, we went thru 2 bassists in 2 days. im starting to feel like spinal tap, only with bassists. one bassist had to quit cuz his rents are overly religious, and wouldnt let him play music that isnt purely christian and issued to us by them. the other bassist we got the next day. jammed with him for an hour. called me after practice, he was too bogged down at work to jam with us.

oh well, its still fun as hell. seriously dude. QUIT!! you can prolly get the g-tarists from that band to jam with ya. and maybe those other dudes will realize they are asses.
Last edited by Mary Just at Jun 23, 2008,
Quote by mcrocks
I mean, some people still think that Rap is music, although that's been scientifically discredited.

Please do tell more
Quote by GiantRaven
Please do tell more

Alrite...

In a recent study, scientists proved today that Rap, although formally thought to be so, is in fact, not a form of music. Scientists believe that for something to be considered music, there must be two, or more kinds of instrument being played, as well as someone singing. Neither of these has been present in Rap for the past 6 years. Techno therefore is also not considered music, but some scientists choose to let it slide.

None, however have chosen to allow this abomination against God known as Rap, to be considered music, As it is usually just a person speaking rapidly into a microphone while someone who has never used one before messes with a turn table. A drum has been known to be included into the mix, but everyone knows that a turn table isn't an instrument anywas.

Therefore, Rap is not to be considered music... amirite?

Quote by AdemaOnYourHead
Quote by mcrocks
Alrite...

In a recent study, scientists proved today that Rap, although formally thought to be so, is in fact, not a form of music. Scientists believe that for something to be considered music, there must be two, or more kinds of instrument being played, as well as someone singing. Neither of these has been present in Rap for the past 6 years. Techno therefore is also not considered music, but some scientists choose to let it slide.

None, however have chosen to allow this abomination against God known as Rap, to be considered music, As it is usually just a person speaking rapidly into a microphone while someone who has never used one before messes with a turn table. A drum has been known to be included into the mix, but everyone knows that a turn table isn't an instrument anywas.

That's brilliant, and I'd love to agree with it, but isn't the stuff that's on the records being messed about with on the turn tables music?
Show him some Necrophagist .
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
Quote by AmpleSteak
Show him some Necrophagist .

Lol, I've heard them, they're not rap? (Are they, I couldn't really understand anything or hear anything but the guitars and drums) (Two instruments! It fits the profile of music!) But I do Hate them.

Quote by AdemaOnYourHead
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
no king crimson?

well, how about an easy Rush song
might not be as enjoyable, but maybe they could pull it off

Hmmm...what is this easy Rush song you speak of?

Seriously, I've listened to all of the Rush albums, and own them. Bastille day is the most simple one I can think of off the top of my head that they would even consider playing within their skill range.
Quote by mcrocks
Quote by SlackerBabbath

That's brilliant, and I'd love to agree with it, but isn't the stuff that's on the records being messed about with on the turn tables music?

No, it was music, now it's just a bastardized version of it's former self... kind of like Frankenstien except it's more F***ed up.

Quote by AdemaOnYourHead
Quote by mcrocks
Alrite...

There is so much fail on so many levels in this post I honestly don't know where to begin.

I'd submit it takes just as much, if not more, skill to be able to freestyle and rap well then to be a mediocore guitarist.

As for music, if you think arranging a GOOD beat for a rap song is easy, I'd love to see you try it.
And maybe we can fly away from here, surf on the debris of a broken scene...
Quote by mcrocks
No, it was music, now it's just a bastardized version of it's former self... kind of like Frankenstien except it's more F***ed up.

Ahh, that's actualy logicaly sound.
OK, you convinced me.

Quote by gald

As for music, if you think arranging a GOOD beat for a rap song is easy, I'd love to see you try it.

Huh? Most rap I've heard has a beat that's made by a guy blowing rasberries down a microphone.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Jun 23, 2008,
Quote by gald

There is so much fail on so many levels in this post I honestly don't know where to begin.

I'd submit it takes just as much, if not more, skill to be able to freestyle and rap well then to be a mediocore guitarist.

I see someone here doesn't have a sense of humor... well, that's ok, you can't please everyone... see, some people know how to take criticism... learn how, then come back here, as for now, gtfo! Learn to take a joke... although I was serious, Rap IMHO, is not music, it's merely fast talking. Then again, Kelly Clarkson isn't music either. Ah well, at least if a "Good" rapper ever has to quit, they could be an auctioneer...

Quote by AdemaOnYourHead
Quote by mcrocks
Lol, I've heard them, they're not rap? (Are they, I couldn't really understand anything or hear anything but the guitars and drums) (Two instruments! It fits the profile of music!) But I do Hate them.

... Lol... With a name like MCR rocks your opinion is automatically not valid...
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

My Band:
Quote by AmpleSteak
... Lol... With a name like MCR rocks your opinion is automatically not valid...

Lol... w/ a name like AmpleSteak, you must obviously know Beef... and it's not MCRROCKS... notice the missing R, that's because they don't rock, they roll, into shallow graves that I've dug for them. ... see, more ability to take some criticism.

Quote by AdemaOnYourHead
Quote by mcrocks
Lol... w/ a name like AmpleSteak, you must obviously know Beef... and it's not MCRROCKS... notice the missing R, that's because they don't rock, they roll, into shallow graves that I've dug for them. ... see, more ability to take some criticism.

Yes i know my beef

I got this from your profile

Favorite guitarists :
Ray Toro, Frank Iero, Tony Iommi, Slash, Dan Jacobs, and Angus Young

Ray and Frank...

and then i saw this...

Favorite bassists :
Mikey Way

You are a discrace...
Quote by Nutter_101

My Band:
How about everyone grows up?

To the ThreadStarter, I say play the damn show, man. And then if the band wants to continue, try to get your own influences felt more. But for crying out loud, it's only one gig, and if you've got the right attitude, then gigs are always fun, even if it's not your true musical vocation. Play Bon Jovi for one night, what the hell. It won't kill you. If you want to be a bit of a twit about it, you could even play their songs on condition that after the gig you all work on a Coheed cover or something. But play the show! It'll make people like you more
Quote by adamrandall
ahh yes SRV. i got the intro on texas flood (easy) and then he's like twangledoodleblopdebloo dun dun dun dun DA dun DA and im like *dead*.

The Unholy plays a Jackson Warrior X through a Metal Muff

Squigglymetal!
Quote by mcrocks
Alrite...

Source?

Quote by mcrocks
although I was serious, Rap IMHO, is not music, it's merely fast talking. Then again, Kelly Clarkson isn't music either.

Theres absolutely no way in hell you could be serious
Last edited by GiantRaven at Jun 23, 2008,
Quote by mcrocks
Alrite...

You're an idiot.

Quote by AmpleSteak
Yes i know my beef

I got this from your profile

Favorite guitarists :
Ray Toro, Frank Iero, Tony Iommi, Slash, Dan Jacobs, and Angus Young

Ray and Frank...

and then i saw this...

Favorite bassists :
Mikey Way

You are a discrace...

You're an idiot.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by TheUnholy
How about everyone grows up?

To the ThreadStarter, I say play the damn show, man. And then if the band wants to continue, try to get your own influences felt more. But for crying out loud, it's only one gig, and if you've got the right attitude, then gigs are always fun, even if it's not your true musical vocation. Play Bon Jovi for one night, what the hell. It won't kill you. If you want to be a bit of a twit about it, you could even play their songs on condition that after the gig you all work on a Coheed cover or something. But play the show! It'll make people like you more

It was only one gig when it was the first time, but this is maybe the 9-10th time they've called me up to play, and I think my chance to get my influences in is well overdue. I've been stuck at halftime at the school basketball games being part of a cover band of bands that I hate(Lynyrd Skynyrd, Tom Petty, Kiss...Bon Jovi is alright for the most part, until their more recent stuff). The drummer REFUSES, absolutely REFUSES, to let me pick a song AT ALL. When I try to push it because its something I really want to play, he accuses me of trying to be the boss of the band.

It's a lost cause, I just got back from meeting with him in town and I told him I was out. /thread, thank you all for your suggestions. Carry on with your rap isn't music/its harder than being a guitarist debate.
Quote by mcrocks
Rap is music. It doesn't matter if you think it is or not, it is. You just don't like it. And that shit about two instruments and a voice is bullshit too. So instrumentals aren't music? There's no vocals, so...

Anyway, you are a douche, and should stop talking out of your ass.

@TS: Glad you ditched that ass. Now see if the other guys wouldn't mind ditching him too, and going off and forming a band that isn't stuck in the past while he ends up alone in the corner with his 80's music.