Page 1 of 2
I need help deciding which combo amp would be the best out of these two. I have questions too.

1. Which would be better for micing up? I know the JSX has an XLR output which emulates a mic and I can connect that to a PA.

2. Is 50 watts really necessary if I'm going to mic up anyways? 5 watts should be good, right?

3. And is 5 watts loud enough if I want to have a practice jam with a drummer? I know tube amps are loud but are 5 watts enough?

4. I'm really just using the power amps of these amps and using a seperate preamp. Do the EL84's sound different than a 6L6 if the preamp is the same?

5. Do the preamps sound good on their own?

6. And is there a bass loss between an 8 in. speaker and a 12 in. speaker?

THanks in advanced to anyone who replies.
1. Not going to sound as good at all. The speaker is a huge part of the sound.

2. 50 watts no. 5? Maybe a little too little. You may want around 30. That way, you can jam without a PA as well.

3. Not really. See above.

4. Don't know, sorry.

5. Again, sorry.

6. I would believe so. A 12 inch is going to sound fuller and much better, IMHO.
Keep in mind you can run the Mini Colossal into any speaker you want. I'm going to be picking one up soon, and I'll be running it into an open back 1x12 cab.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
For gigs you are going to want the VK for sure, home practice the JSX. What type of music do you play?
Well, I play all kinds, but I'll play mainly at church, and church music is close to alternative and rock and roll. But at home I could play metal with some friends. So I bought a GT-8. And since both these Peavey amps have effects loop, I want a tube power amp to warm up the sound and make it a little less digital sounding. I thought a Mini colossal would be great if I mic it up, because a 50 watt Valveking just seems a little much. I'm going to mic up in all gig cases probably, but I want an amp that sounds great when jamming. What sounds better anyway? If the mini colossal sounds too small, I might as well get a Valveking. But I'm open to any suggestions to any good tube combo amp with a series effects loop.
Hmm, maybe look for something in the 30 watt range? Nothing immediate comes to mind for that price though...
Quote by john0307
But the Peavey Classic 30 doesn't have an effects loop, does it?

I'm not sure. That wouldn't make it or break it for me, but I can understand if it does for some.
Quote by john0307
But the Peavey Classic 30 doesn't have an effects loop, does it?
It most definitely does have an FX loop. I own one and have pedals in the loop.
I'm just using the tube power amp. I'm bypassing the preamp with my own external preamp. So I need a cheap combo tube amp with a decent power amp. 6L6 sound good because they don't break up early on. But the JSX mini colossal sounds appealing as a good amp to practice with and to use the effects loop to use my preamp and mic up. Is the XLR output really bad? The ground lift switch sounds good too.
Quote by TheProducer
1. Not going to sound as good at all. The speaker is a huge part of the sound.

2. 50 watts no. 5? Maybe a little too little. You may want around 30. That way, you can jam without a PA as well.

3. Not really. See above.

4. Don't know, sorry.

5. Again, sorry.

6. I would believe so. A 12 inch is going to sound fuller and much better, IMHO.

If you watch this video at about 2:20 he says that on all the tracks on that song he made were through the direct XLR out mic simulatior. It supposedly comes out from the speaker itself, not straight out the power amp.

This video
Do yourself and everybodys ears a favor and not get the valueking. Anything is better.
Well my best friend has a VK and it just sounds way to thin. It doesn't sound like a tube amp. IMO it is bottom of the barrel as far as tube amps go. The EQ is real tricky, it seems like it does very little, then BLAM too much. We both just laugh at it, and he curses the day he bought it. It is so bad he said he wont sell it he will just throw it away. lol I don't know much about the Mini Colossal but it cant be worse then the VK.

Blackheart has some real nice low wattage amps. I would take a 5w blackheart over a 100w valueking anyday.
Quote by ninja23
Well my best friend has a VK and it just sounds way to thin. It doesn't sound like a tube amp. IMO it is bottom of the barrel as far as tube amps go. The EQ is real tricky, it seems like it does very little, then BLAM too much. We both just laugh at it, and he curses the day he bought it. It is so bad he said he wont sell it he will just throw it away. lol I don't know much about the Mini Colossal but it cant be worse then the VK.

Blackheart has some real nice low wattage amps. I would take a 5w blackheart over a 100w valueking anyday.

Tell him to but one of the Warehouse Celstion V30 copies for 65 dollars, I guarantee you'll change your mind.
el84 have a more british sort of tone. 6l6 will have a more american tone. el84 is warmer but that doesnt necessarily mean the amp will be. 6l6 are more powerful and brighter. again, it doesnt mean the amp will be. I have tried the valveking and its definitely a good amp and runs circles around the solid state amps in its price bracket. i havent tried the mini colossal though.
Keep in mind that the Mini Collassal isn't like it's big brother. It's very weak in the gain dept. and is basically made to record solos with in the studio. It has built in tremolo and just barely does classic rock crunch.

Also, EL84's are very middy and have a early breakup point. While 6L6's are fatter sounding with a lot more headroom than an EL84.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Last edited by Van Noord at Jun 24, 2008,
TS Like I said before the Classic 30 is by far the best choice for you. If they cost to much, they go cheap on ebay, 300-400 dollars all day long. The tone is way better than the VK as far any thing less than metal, and it really is a perfect amp from someone playing in church, and still wanting to be able to practice with your amp.
BTW I pratice with my 120 watt tube combo daily, I can just barely crack it open, but the sound I get from it barely cracked open is better than any soild state, and better than most of these little 5 watters at the same volume
Well, I plan on using a Boss GT-8 for the main sound because of how I can switch different tones at anytime. And I will plug my output of the GT-8 into the effects return of the amp so I can get a tube sound without the preamp coloring the sound. I don't need to worry about how much gain an amp has, as long as it has a good power section. I know the classic 30 is good, I won't really use the good preamp section, so I don't want to waste it. While on the other hand the JSX is just a simple good amp with an effects loop and that's all I'm really looking for. And the XLR output is a little bonus. Honestly I've heard good things about the classic 30, that it's better than a fender and all. But a simple tube amp with and effects loop is all I need.
Quote by john0307
Well, I plan on using a Boss GT-8 for the main sound because of how I can switch different tones at anytime. And I will plug my output of the GT-8 into the effects return of the amp so I can get a tube sound without the preamp coloring the sound. I don't need to worry about how much gain an amp has, as long as it has a good power section. I know the classic 30 is good, I won't really use the good preamp section, so I don't want to waste it. While on the other hand the JSX is just a simple good amp with an effects loop and that's all I'm really looking for. And the XLR output is a little bonus. Honestly I've heard good things about the classic 30, that it's better than a fender and all. But a simple tube amp with and effects loop is all I need.

Then you have answered your own question? JSX it is?
Well, I guess I did, didn't I?
I just wanted some input, but I guess I'll try it out and return it if it isn't what I wanted.
But does anyone know any other simple tube amps with effects loop?
Quote by Johnbryant
^ If you want any clean tone at all you can forget it with that little amp.

Agreed.

I think you should look at something a little bit bigger for their headroom if nothing else. Maybe a 15 watt. No, I don't think you need a 50 watt.
Well, my options are kind of limited.
*Tube amp
*Effects Loop
*more than 5 watts, less than 50
*under $550
Quote by john0307
Well, my options are kind of limited.
*Tube amp
*Effects Loop
*more than 5 watts, less than 50
*under $550

it's been said once already in this thread....

try out a Peavey Classic 30
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Well, I'll check it out. I feel as though I shouldn't bypass the preamp since I heard it sounds good, but hey, I'll try to look for one used. Is there a difference between the new Classic 30's and the old ones besides the looks?
Quote by john0307
Well, I'll check it out. I feel as though I shouldn't bypass the preamp since I heard it sounds good, but hey, I'll try to look for one used. Is there a difference between the new Classic 30's and the old ones besides the looks?

Why is it a must that you bypass the preamp? I'm just a little confused as to what you want to do exactly with the Boss.
Me 2, you said you were not using the GT-8 preamp because the the amps preamp would sound better. I have you you talk a couple times about getting a amp with a not so good preamp so you can bypass it.

Please explain how you want to use the GT-8 with the tube amp.
And I will vote for a classic 30 as well.

And for the record if you do get a amp that has a bad clean, The GT-8 preamp has some pretty good cleans on it. It surprised me.
I've played the JSX mini colossal a few times and its terrible, It's just about the worst amp out there. It could have been so good but its just not, everyone I know thats played it turned it off within about 2 mins.

How about an Orange tiny terror?
The JSX mini is definitely not powerful enough for gigs. The VK is, but some people argue that it doesn't sound very good. I've had pretty good success with it and you can look at all the clips in my profile to get an idea of what it sounds like.
I want to use the Boss's preamp so I can get different sounds for different songs. It's a versatility thing for me. I'll use the tube power amp to kind of warm up the sound and make it less digital. I'm not using the preamp of the amps at all. Yes, that sounds weird, but that's how I want my stage setup to be. Digital preamp, Tube power amp. I don't care all that much how the amps sound by themselves, as long as I can play some jazz and blues if I don't want to carry around my GT-8 with me to a friend's house.

Right now, the Peavey Windsor Studio Combo seems pretty good. Effects loop, I can change out the power amp to a 6L6, has an alright sound by itself. Any bad experience with the Peavey windsor? The power sponge/attenuator seems extremely useful.
^ the Widsor is not for you, its far cry for bluesy and has no cleans channel, so unless you want to play everything over driven then thats not going to work. I am really tired of sugesting this to you becasue you do not listen GET A CLASSIC 30 FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Although no matter what amp you get I think you are going to be disapointed in the GT-8 tone through it.
Quote by Johnbryant
^ the Widsor is not for you, its far cry for bluesy and has no cleans channel, so unless you want to play everything over driven then thats not going to work. I am really tired of sugesting this to you becasue you do not listen GET A CLASSIC 30 FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Although no matter what amp you get I think you are going to be disapointed in the GT-8 tone through it.

+1

I just don't get the GT-8 thing. This seems like a backwards way to buy and amp. Get an amp that sounds good w/o pedals, then run your guitar through the GT-8. Skip the whole effects loop/preamp shaninigans. It's just going to waste any amp you buy, unless you buy a lousy amp. Seems dumb to buy a lousy amp just to be able to use the GT-8.
I don't want to tell you what to do, but I have experience using the GT-8 and a tube amp. Please at least listen to my advice.

A tube amp will blow the doors off the GT-8's preamp. I hear what you are saying, you want to use the GT-8's preamp, and warm it up from the powertube section. I wont work like that. By bypassing the amps preamp you will lose the option of using the amps EQ and vol, and have to use the 8's EQ which is bad on the preamp. The sound you will get, will sound real close to a SS amp. It just wont sound like a tube amp.

What I would highly recommend, is to find a tube amp you will like for your main sound, blues, rock or whatever. Find a amp that gives you good tone for your main type of sound. Then by switching to the amps clean ch, you can add different od/dist pedals from the 8 and have a bunch of different sounds that sound nice.

It would be a complete waist of a tube amp to do what you want to do. You would be better of buying a SS amp with a effects loop, it would sound the same.

The GT-8 has real good od/dist pedals but the preamps are weak at best, very thin and flat sounding, no life to them.
Page 1 of 2