http://cgi.ebay.com/Volume-Box-MARSHALL-JCM-900-800-2000-SL-X-2100-DSL_W0QQitemZ140243110811QQihZ004QQcategoryZ43375QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
right here yeah i was wondering if you could use this as a attenuator
if you say got on a clean channel of (since its the amp i'm looking at getting) a jcm 900, and than cranked it a ton, than used the box and lowered the volume down to normal playing levels, wouldn't you get power amp saturation and all that?
thanks
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
yeah it appears that it would work in the manner that you want it to. Question though, does the JCM 900 not having a master volume control? Because it essentially works the same way.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Quote by acdclandon
http://cgi.ebay.com/Volume-Box-MARSHALL-JCM-900-800-2000-SL-X-2100-DSL_W0QQitemZ140243110811QQihZ004QQcategoryZ43375QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
right here yeah i was wondering if you could use this as a attenuator
if you say got on a clean channel of (since its the amp i'm looking at getting) a jcm 900, and than cranked it a ton, than used the box and lowered the volume down to normal playing levels, wouldn't you get power amp saturation and all that?
thanks

No. All that thing is is a master volume knob.

EDIT: \/ lolololol.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Last edited by timi_hendrix at Jun 23, 2008,
It's a trap!

It just serves as a master volume if your amp doesn't have one.
Now that I think of it, I should get one for my CBB once I get it modded for an effects loop.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
yeah i understand that
but if you cranked the channel volume
and than turned down the master volume from the pedal
wouldn't that work?
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Yeah, but it wouldn't be power tube overdrive. It'd be preamp.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by acdclandon
yeah i understand that
but if you cranked the channel volume
and than turned down the master volume from the pedal
wouldn't that work?

You still wouldn't be getting your power tubes working. Just the preamp.

EDIT: Think about it, you connect the volume box in the effects loop. Which is after the preamp but before the power amp.

My Music
Then it wouldn't do anything, it needs to actually be connected to something to work, see

My Music
so then why not that?
i could hook it in last on the board, than use it to the amp to clip?
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
No, because if you have it in front of the amp, it'll only adjust your actual signal volume. If you put it in the effects loop, it goes inbetween the preamp and the power section. This allows you to crank your PREAMP section into overdrive, but lets you adjust the volume.
Seeing as I don't own one of these, I wouldn't be certain, but it is in no way a true attenuator.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
It's a trap!

It just serves as a master volume if your amp doesn't have one.
Now that I think of it, I should get one for my CBB once I get it modded for an effects loop.

dont buy one, build one. all it consists of is a volume knob, in a box. ive actually put my TS808 in my effects loop before, switched it to clean boost mode, (mine has lots of mods) and use the volume on the pedal as a master volume.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by darkarbiter7
No, because if you have it in front of the amp, it'll only adjust your actual signal volume. If you put it in the effects loop, it goes inbetween the preamp and the power section. This allows you to crank your PREAMP section into overdrive, but lets you adjust the volume.
Seeing as I don't own one of these, I wouldn't be certain, but it is in no way a true attenuator.

+1

It's just an overpriced volume knob in a box.

An attenuator goes between the poweramp and the speaker.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by darkarbiter7

yes and the problem with adjusting the actual signal would be what?
thats exactly what i want, just answer me this
if this say at the end of my pedalboard, crank the clean channel to like clipping right?
than i turn this down?
would the sound stay the same just at a lower volume?
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdclandon
yes and the problem with adjusting the actual signal would be what?
thats exactly what i want, just answer me this
if this say at the end of my pedalboard, crank the clean channel to like clipping right?
than i turn this down?
would the sound stay the same just at a lower volume?

Turn your guitar volume knob down.

That's what that box would do in front of the amp.

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
Turn your guitar volume knob down.

That's what that box would do in front of the amp.

why would it do that?
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
^because that's what the volume box is, is a volume control.

If you put it in front of the amp, you're only lowering the volume of the signal going into your amp. It's the exact same effect as you rolling back on your guitar's volume knob.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
dang so it wouldn't work really to get cranked tones?
dam
i was thinking that if you had it in front of the amp and than lowered the volume with the volume box it would keep it the same
so you are saying that it would probably mess with the tone, kinda like when you turn down the volume on a guitar the sounds usually gets cleaner and all that
dang
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Yes, when in front of the amp, it acts exactly like a guitar volume knob.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
goddamit
would anything work like this other than the usual really expensive attenuators?
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdclandon
goddamit
would anything work like this other than the usual really expensive attenuators?

No but check out Weber's site for attenuators. How much watts is the amp u will use it with? The weber Mass Lite 100w would be good for anything around 50w or less and it costs 160 which is less than many attenuators and there is one on ebay right now for 110(buy it now price).
Wait, you were going to plan on using an attenuator on your MG?

Bad idea, mate.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
Wait, you were going to plan on using an attenuator on your MG?

Bad idea, mate.

haha no, wow, thats a insanely dumb idea
i'm talking about using it with my new amp (i'm thinking jcm 900 as sig says)
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE