Hi ya'll. I'm a relatively new guitar player. Been playing a few months on the acoustic. I've just acquired myself an Ibanez (says GAX 70 on the back of the neck) 'cos i love the sounds of an electric guitar as well. Have been drivin my family nuts with my renditions of Knocking on Heavens Door, some stuff from U2, some Dylan.... i've learned a lot in the 2-3 months i've been playing!!!

If anyone has any tips on how to make my 'leccy sound better.. please pass them on

Cheers..

Rachael xoxxox

Here's a pic of my guitars.. i don't want comments saying it's c**p..! I don't care.. i play for fun, not status.

I would say just don't get mad/discouraged over a song you cant seem to get.
Hi there!

Seeing as you've been playing for some months already I won't bother you with basic gutar stuff. Just try to learn some songs, keep your mind open for different styles and be experimental - it makes the fun last. If you can, get yourself a teacher, they can do much more for you than us internet folks.
If you ever have any specific questions about gear or playing, don't hestitate to ask.

Anyone making stupid comments about beginner gear will be reported immediately - there's nothing wrong with that rig. Period.
First thing you'll hear here is to get rid of the amp and buy a better one :p. Play around with the different sounds you can make with using bridge or neck pickup. Use your tone knobs, mess with the equalizer on your amp, etc.
Yamaha RGX 520FZ
Squier Affinitys Strat (customized!)
Johnson 620 Player Acoustic

Boss HM3 hyper metal
Boss CH1 super chorus
Zoom G1X

Peavey Valveking Royal 8
New: Peavey JSX Mini Collosal
Cheers guys.. ! Other stuff i play... Wonderwall.. Mr Tambourine Man.. James Blunt.. ummm.... Bad Moon Rising...

If i don't 'get' a song right away.. i keep on trying..

I'll get a better Amp when i can afford one! lol.. The guitar & Amp together cost £120.

I've got a cpl of friends who play.. they teach me bits here & there when i see them.

Thanks for the advice...!!
that was my first amp too, if anyone says anything about it tell them to shut up :P

nice shaped guitar too :P
excellent! nice colour scheme on the walls too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Look up Justin Sandercoe videos on Youtube. Helped me a bunch.

BTW, sweet guitar.
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
yeah, Justin Sandercoe is awesome. Also Mojo from threechordguitar.

Spend some time on youtube, there are so many great lessons there, and try to dig deep into the music you like. See who influenced your favorite artists and all that, you might find that you've found a whole new world of music that you love.

And learn theory. Do it now.
Quote by stratdud39
i would say not just to learn songs, but to do simple practices like hammer ons and pulls offs and playing every fret at the same speed moving your finger up and down the neck.
hope you stick with it

LOL... i can do them on Guitar Hero.. haha...

Quote by Sharck
yeah, Justin Sandercoe is awesome. Also Mojo from threechordguitar.

Spend some time on youtube, there are so many great lessons there, and try to dig deep into the music you like. See who influenced your favorite artists and all that, you might find that you've found a whole new world of music that you love.

And learn theory. Do it now.

YouTube is my saviour! lol.. I found Justin Sandercoe & Mojo. Mojo is great, although he does waffle on a bit, haha.. I also found a guy called Lazyfret who does nice simple lessons.

Theory.. is it REALLY important.. when all i wanna do is be able to bang out some songs at family barbecues & stuff...? If it is, then i'll do it !!
Yeah if you want to make any of your own music then you need to learn theory. It's also good for making up solos in songs that either have solos that are too difficult or no solos at all.
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
ok.. thanks Vasser.. i'll give it a look & do some studying then!!! I love playing my guitars.. this isn't something i'm gonna get bored of & ditch!
As far as theory goes, yeah, its pretty big. Also if you just wanna do some strummy songs of your own or anything. You'll know how to do chord progressions and stuff like that. The more you delve into it, the more you'll find that is is actually rewarding and interesting and - dare I say it - fun!
Quote by -Blue-
Yea, learn a few scales and practice a lot. Scales will help you improv a solo and practice will help you... play better.

And grats on the gear!

Just to add to this, when you practise scales please use a metronome. It'll help you keep in time when playing with others.

Also, when learning start slowly. Once you can play it cleanly speed it up up to time.
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
OK.. thnx guys... looks like i'm learning some theory then... Next question... where do i start ?!?!?!

A metronome.. i'm going down the shop to get one this week..

Any sticky's i can look at, to prevent anyone repeatin info already there?

(i really can be a dumb-ass sometimes!)
The Crusade articles by Josh Urban are really good....they start at the beginning and also help you understand how you'll benefit from learning theory

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/search.php?s=the+crusade&w=columns
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com