Page 1 of 2
And I'd like to know more about the personal experiences of the people of America, Britain, France, Canada and any other country for that matter, when it comes to dealing with their country's healthcare system.

Is it as good or bad as Michael Moore has portrayed them?

Also what are your opinions on what political leaders in the running have to say about their healthcare reforms.
I haven't seen the film but I guess universal health care is a good, it gets the job done for everyone but it has drawbacks just like any other heath care system.
Pretty bad in Britain.

I've been told to go home and 'wait and see' when I had potentially lethal DVT because they couldn't spare a bed for me.
well.. I'm 21.

since I'm out of school now, I no longer have insurance and my job doesn't offer it to me for another 6 months. In the meantime, I'm hoping that my kidney stone doesn't decide to pass, hoping I don't break any limbs, and if I do I'm hoping it's at my job so I get workman's comp, otherwise I'm screwed.

It's not a fun feeling to live with, knowing that if you go to the hospital, you won't be able to afford it without going into debt for 18 months, and also knowing that you have a kidney stone (apparently the only comparable pain to child birth) and may have to pass it without painkillers.

I haven't seen SiCKO so I can't say if his claims are accurate but I do think he did a fairly good job on Bowling for Columbine and to a lesser extent fahrenheit 9/11.

i'd say social health care would be feasible if the federal government loosened its hold on education and stopped spending hundreds of billions on a war.
Its fine in canada, yeah some waiting lines but thats because there are a ****load of old people here who just go to the hospital.
I saw that movie at my university, and afterwards there was a panel discussion with actual doctors and other men and women in various positions of the healthcare system, in and outside of the US.

Now, I hate Michael Moore, and the way he manipulates the facts and twists things towards his agenda. God knows he did it in Bowling for Columbine, and Fahrenheit 9/11.

So I asked the panel of doctors and so forth, how accurate all this was. Some of them had seen the movie before, some of them hadn't. They all said that it was pretty much all accurate and true. That horrified me.

The only thing that they said was skewed was the interview with the doctor in the UK, who despite being a part of the socialized system, still made a lot of money. According to them, most doctors aren't that well off.
I live in the UK(Scotland). In the past 6 years, I've required extensive medical treatment, including 7 operations. As a result of one, I am now exempt from prescription charges, although the Executive is currently looking at following Wales in making all prescriptions free.
During the past 6 years, I have suffered from several HAIs, including MRSA(twice) and Clostridium difficile(once).
There's more good than bad about the NHS, but there is still VAST room for improvement.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Pretty bad in Britain.

I've been told to go home and 'wait and see' when I had potentially lethal DVT because they couldn't spare a bed for me.

He made it look great in the film. Can you really get all the drugs you need for 6.65 pounds? That looked a bit dodgy.

Also in America and other places is private healthcare without insurance expensive?
Quote by MightyAl
I live in the UK(Scotland). In the past 6 years, I've required extensive medical treatment, including 7 operations. As a result of one, I am now exempt from prescription charges, although the Executive is currently looking at following Wales in making all prescriptions free.
During the past 6 years, I have suffered from several HAIs, including MRSA(twice) and Clostridium difficile(once).
There's more good than bad about the NHS, but there is still VAST room for improvement.

As happy as I am that you're in good health, how do you manage to get all that?
Quote by Shred Head
He made it look great in the film. Can you really get all the drugs you need for 6.65 pounds? That looked a bit dodgy.

Also in America and other places is private healthcare without insurance expensive?

I don't know if it's 'ALL' drugs. I know there was this big scandal about these prescription diet pills you are only supposed to give to morbidly obese people because they are so effective, and they were giving them out to perfectly healthy size 10-ish women who wanted to lose weight but not go on a diet. They sent people of different sizes in to do undercover tests on it, and all of them got prescribed the diet pills even though they weren't allowed and didn't need them.
i'm in Canada, and the only problem with our healthcare system to me, is waiting in line. unless you are in dire need of medical assistance, you need to wait in an emergency room for a little while. that, and paying for your perscription, but it is rarely a burning whole in your pocket. Canada ftw.
Living is easy with eyes closed...
--------------------------

Quote by GnR_ROK
I'm surprised you returned to this thread after cheeseman owned you.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Pretty bad in Britain.

Then they've incorrectly accounted for population.

It's better than being given a choice between hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt and living.
Quote by Shred Head

Prescription charging varies in the UK. In Wales, prescriptions are free, in Scotland they are currently cheaper than in England/NI(not sure how much, because I haven't paid for a prescription in almost 5 years), where each prescription item costs £7.10. Basically, if you get prescribed, say 2 different antibiotics, you would pay £14.20.
EDIT: Medication prescribed while you're in hospital is free, and upon discharge, they'll give you 7 days worth of any drug you'll need for a week or more.
Also, I got 'all that' by being damn ill, and almost dieing on a couple of occasions.
Last edited by MightyAl at Jun 23, 2008,
Quote by Shred Head

Hell yes. And depending on how bad of an illness you have, you get charged accordingly.

Cancer treatment costs hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
I don't know if it's 'ALL' drugs. I know there was this big scandal about these prescription diet pills you are only supposed to give to morbidly obese people because they are so effective, and they were giving them out to perfectly healthy size 10-ish women who wanted to lose weight but not go on a diet. They sent people of different sizes in to do undercover tests on it, and all of them got prescribed the diet pills even though they weren't allowed and didn't need them.

So in England you pay absolutely nothing? At all? No matter what's wrong with you? What about prescription drugs? Congrats on passing BTW
Quote by cheeseman3001
i'm in Canada, and the only problem with our healthcare system to me, is waiting in line. unless you are in dire need of medical assistance, you need to wait in an emergency room for a little while. that, and paying for your perscription, but it is rarely a burning whole in your pocket. Canada ftw.

Aye.

I always see several segments/articles in the news saying how some old person had to go to the States to get their knee surgery because they had to wait several months for their surgery here in Canada.
hmmm...

micheal moore, rosie odonnel.....

does anyone else see the connection between being a radical liberal and being a hideous fatass?
Britain sucks unless you go private, and since Sicko is basically propaganda against the privatisation of healthcare establishments, I'm guessing that's not what Moore was going for.

He makes us look better than we are. A lot of people avoid going to hospital. For example, people recover from surgery at home, because they don't want to be in our crappy hospitals.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
living in canada, i haven't had any problems.

sure it might take longer.. but when i'm waiting in line.. i think about the people who can't go at all.

I'm pretty lucky.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by MightyAl
Prescription charging varies in the UK. In Wales, prescriptions are free, in Scotland they are currently cheaper than in England/NI(not sure how much, because I haven't paid for a prescription in almost 5 years), where each prescription item costs £7.10. Basically, if you get prescribed, say 2 different antibiotics, you would pay £14.20.
EDIT: Medication prescribed while you're in hospital is free, and upon discharge, they'll give you 7 days worth of any drug you'll need for a week or more.
Also, I got 'all that' by being damn ill, and almost dieing on a couple of occasions.

My God, how?
Quote by Shred Head
So in England you pay absolutely nothing? At all? No matter what's wrong with you? What about prescription drugs? Congrats on passing BTW

You pay a bit of money, like £7 or £8 for the prescription. Our hospitals are filthy though, riddled with c dificile and MRSA, lots of people go in for routine procedures then die of superbugs caught due to the dirty hospitals.

Quote by Shred Head
My God, how?

Tax. Lots and lots of tax.
Quote by Shred Head

well, if i understand it correctly, it's not that you don't pay, it's that you pay for it in your taxes. The same as how public schooling is here. The only thing that would aggrivate me is paying for someone else's bills. I guess it would really depend on how much I would have to pay, though..

edit: Totally missed the second page. oh well
Quote by break-me-in
Britain sucks unless you go private, and since Sicko is basically propaganda against the privatisation of healthcare establishments, I'm guessing that's not what Moore was going for.

He makes us look better than we are. A lot of people avoid going to hospital. For example, people recover from surgery at home, because they don't want to be in our crappy hospitals.

Also, they kick you out as fast as possible, so they can put someone else in your bed. It's thought to be a significant factor in infection rates.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Tax. Lots and lots of tax.

I think he was actually asking how MightyAl almost died...
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by break-me-in

Oh

Still, we do get taxed a LOT. My boyfriend gets about £50 a week taken from him in tax. Although he may be on the wrong tax code. But he'll never get it returned to him.
Quote by break-me-in

Exactly, I re-read my post and I still don't get what "tax" was a response to. Is that what people in the west blame everything on?
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Oh

Still, we do get taxed a LOT. My boyfriend gets about £50 a week taken from him in tax. Although he may be on the wrong tax code. But he'll never get it returned to him.

Just to prove my point
Last edited by Shred Head at Jun 23, 2008,
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Oh

Which is why we have to take liberties with our government.

Steal pens from public establishments, and get all the free healthcare you can, and make sure you go to school until 18.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by Shred Head
Exactly, I re-read my post and I still don't get what "tax" was a response to. Is that what people in the west blame everything on?

Mistress Ibanez thought you were asking how we can afford to have healthcare for free, and what basically happens is that the government taxes us more so they have money to give to the healthcare system.

EDIT: I should resolve international misunderstandings for a living.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by Shred Head

I meant that is how we are able to get it all so cheap, because the government get so much money from us in tax they can afford to set up things like the NHS. Though not to maintain it apparently.
The NHS here in the UK has a lot of problems but I'm glad we have it.

People complain about the waiting lists, but the fact is if you're hurt or sick you'll get treatment.

It just needs to be funded correctly and to have needless bureaucracy trimmed.
Michael Moore needs to choke on a hot dog...

That douche is just another left-wing antagonist who's ideals are bought off and portrayed as some intelligent liberal bs... Don't worry about what Michael Moore has to say about America's health-care system, because he's the least knowledgeable in the field of health-care, I feel we can all agree.
Marijuana is the spice of life.

I Force Choke my penis when I masturbate.

8)-~
Quote by Raven*

That douche is just another left-wing antagonist who's ideals are bought off and portrayed as some intelligent liberal bs... Don't worry about what Michael Moore has to say about America's health-care system, because he's the least knowledgeable in the field of health-care, I feel we can all agree.

Thank you for managing to say nothing in so many words.
Public healthcare in this country is non-existent, you have to pay if you want to see tomorrow's sunset. It isn't as absurdly expensive but still pretty pricey. Where's all the Yanks?
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
I meant that is how we are able to get it all so cheap, because the government get so much money from us in tax they can afford to set up things like the NHS. Though not to maintain it apparently.

Quote by break-me-in
Mistress Ibanez thought you were asking how we can afford to have healthcare for free, and what basically happens is that the government taxes us more so they have money to give to the healthcare system.

EDIT: I should resolve international misunderstandings for a living.

I do know how tax works, I'm not a moron
Last edited by Shred Head at Jun 23, 2008,
Quote by Shred Head
My God, how?

Worst time, was at the end of 2002. I have Crohn's disease, and I spent about 3 months sh*tting blood, up to 30-35 times a day. My weight dropped to about 60kg(putting my BMI a little below 17.5). After removing my colon, the surgeon said it looked like it would have perforated, probably in less than a week.
Woke up in ITU on a ventilator, and it's neither fun nor glamorous.
Quote by rizo299
The NHS here in the UK has a lot of problems but I'm glad we have it.

People complain about the waiting lists, but the fact is if you're hurt or sick you'll get treatment.

It just needs to be funded correctly and to have needless bureaucracy trimmed.

This is true - according to Private Eye, the NHS manages to employ about 1.5 administrative staff per inpatient bed, and has already pissed away billions of pounds on IT systems that either don't work, or do nothing really useful.
Last edited by MightyAl at Jun 23, 2008,
Here in Calgary, Alberta, Canada; amber alerts aren't that uncommon (not enough ambulances).
Waits can be up to four hours, but you can put your name on the list and go home, then come back later.
There aren't enough hospital beds, and a large number of GP's are going down south to the US because they will make more money.
Quote by Raven*

You basically just said he is fat, yes we know he is fat.
the guy who makes those movies is a dick. he treats all of his employees like crap. someone should make a movie about HIM and how much HE is SiCKO
Quote by campbell92
Do you actually dance after each post you make?

...that would be so badass.

!!PanterA!!

Memeber #7 of the Altar Of Slayer!!
Quote by Raven

Ever been without healthcare? Bet you're still covered by your parents?

Just saying he probably knows more than you, seeing as he's not a college-aged republican.
Page 1 of 2