Poll: Grammatical stance?
Poll Options
View poll results: Grammatical stance?
Of course we should abide by the rules! Bah to poor spelling!
50 65%
It has it's uses, u cming out 2nite?
11 14%
I'm sitting on the fence for this poll.
12 16%
proper enlish is 4 skl and wrk
2 3%
1 dnt no ne beta :)
1 1%
Voters: 77.
Page 1 of 2
So UGers, are you pedantic when it comes to English spelling and/or grammar?

Does the world have a space in it's heart for semi-colons, hyphens and apostropes, or do we need to get over ourselves coz enlish aint wot it ust 2 B?

Edit: I'm of the upper-most variety.
Last edited by saphrax at Jun 23, 2008,
Quote by saphrax
Yes. (What poll?)
Yes, I wish everyone could spell as good as I can.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by saphrax

Does the world have a space in it's heart for semi-colons, hyphens and apostropes, or do we need to get over ourselves coz enlish aint wot it ust 2 B?

Edit: I'm of the upper-most variety.

I'm hoping that was a deliberate attempt at irony.
I am irritatingly pedantic. I cringe when I see the English language being bastardised. I just don't tend to tell people on the internet because they get pissy
Yes. I always try to be grammatically correct, and usually chastise those who aren't.
Quote by SmarterChild

Oh shit. Misuse of the word "it's" in both the original post, and the poll.
Last edited by Doppelgänger at Jun 23, 2008,
I try to be proper as much as possible...

(I'm not sure why I use three periods after just about everything though)
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Quote by SmarterChild

Wow i could feel the sarcasm in his post through the internet (saphrax that is)
Damn whippersnappers! Back in my day everyone spelt correctly! Because if you didn't, you got the paddle.
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Yeah, it bugs me when people don't type properly. How is writing "kewl" easier than writing "cool"?
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Demoralising women is just one of the many services we provide here at UG
i tend to speak ( and sometimes write by accident ) in scottish slang

anyone who has learnt proper english wouldnt understand a word of it

,--.-'-,--.
\ /-~-\ /
/ )' a a `( \
( ( ,---. ) )
THIS WAS MEANT TO BE A PIG
\ `(_o_o_)' /
\ `-' /
| |---| |
[_] [_]
Mispronounciation pisses me off more. I'm sorry, but some Americans just destroy the English language.
I do linguistics and english language at university so on the one hand I'm a grammar nazi, and on the other I don't care when people make mistakes because it is interesting to see how English will develop in the future.
Already the way we speak has changed in the last 60 or so years....
I get depressed when I find poor spelling and grammar, it's a shame how lazy people have become; in the hope of convenience they end up insulting their intelligence, but being clever ain't cool no more, like innit blud.

Also, the increasing lack of semi colons in writing nowadays is such a shame, the semi colon is the greatest key in the whole keyboard.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
I'm going to sit on the fence for this one.
I never used proper English when taking notes at uni, I don't tend to use proper English in emails and text messages, but I still enjoy handing out pointless abuse.
Quote by Tom_hatton
Mispronounciation pisses me off more. I'm sorry, but some Americans just destroy the English language.

+1, I correct peoples grammar and mispronounciation alot, along with spelling.
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

Hate humans? Click here
Quote by thedudemeister
+1, I correct peoples grammar and mispronounciation alot, along with spelling.

alot isn't a word. It's a lot.
Quote by Tom_hatton

Unfortunately, plenty of Brits butcher their own language, too. As much as I adore blaming every fault in the world on the Americans, the decline in quality of the English Language can be found on both sides of the Pond.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
I prefer to see well written material, simply because it is easier to read. To be honest, if I see a poorly spelt and punctuated post I tend to assume the person who wrote it is a tad retarded, and am less likely to waste my time helping them/posting in their thread. I don't mind a few errors obviously, I'm not that pedantic, but if a post is spelt entirely phonetically, or in 'txt spk' I don't even bother finishing the first sentence.
...Bleep Bloop...
Quote by SmarterChild

No. I hate myself.

Note to self: Be careful when writing about pedantry.

Edit: Also note I'm leaving that mistake there. See how many others spot it! That'll separate the true pendants and the wannabes.

Damnit. Now I'm a wannabe.
Quote by thedudemeister
+1, I correct people's grammar and mispronunciation a lot, along with spelling.

Quote by freddaahh
Unfortunately, plenty of Brits butcher their own language, too. As much as I adore blaming every fault in the world on the Americans, the decline in quality of the English Language can be found on both sides of the Pond.

Decline? In quality?

You do realise languages change, right?

Go read an English text from 600 years ago and tell me if you understand it properly. Is the language we speak today 'worse' than that?

Is the language we speak in 200 years going to be worse? No, it'll just change. That's what languages do.
Quote by freddaahh

No, Britain is perfect!

In all seriousness, I suppose thats kind of true. I tend to find its the Americans who annoy me more than Brits when it comes to the way words are said. I mean, the way stuff like 'Anti' and 'Multi' are said just makes me angry.

Fortunately, on UG they type so I can't hear it. Therefore I love you all!
Quote by Doppelgänger

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
alot isn't a word. It's a lot.

thank you ladies, its late in the evening and im tired.
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

Hate humans? Click here
Quote by thedudemeister
thank you ladies, its late in the evening and im tired.

Well I can't spell pronunciation unless I'm actively trying so I didn't notice that other one
On the internet, hell yes. IRL, if I can understand what you want to communicate, we're good.
We must find a solution to the wretched problem of bad grammar, a final solution! *

* Grammar Nazi
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Decline? In quality?

You do realise languages change, right?

Go read an English text from 600 years ago and tell me if you understand it properly. Is the language we speak today 'worse' than that?

Is the language we speak in 200 years going to be worse? No, it'll just change. That's what languages do.
yeh bt if we take out mst of teh vowels an punctuation n let txt and l33t sp33k become standard well luk like ejuts.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Well I can't spell pronunciation unless I'm actively trying so I didn't notice that other one

true, i spelt it like i pronounce it. if im writing a letter or writing by hand i actively type. also on the net i let my grammar slack a little, such as not using capitals to start sentences.

also, im sure mis-pronunciation is hyphenated, but im not sure.
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King

Hate humans? Click here
Quote by thedudemeister

also, im sure mis-pronunciation is hyphenated, but im not sure.

There is much debate to wether the hyphen needs to be in place to join two words. It has become commonplace to leave it out, and this has filtered up to the higher echelons of Grammar Nazism.
I was starting to become worried that they had stopped teaching English in British and American schools.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Semicolons are my life.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

i used to be a grammar nazi... then i grew up.
<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
Quote by Dirge Humani
Ant-eye and mul-tea?

Its mult-eye as well isn't it?

It should be mult-ee and ant-ee.
Page 1 of 2