Recently I bought a beginners keyboard for my girlfriend, I had a really old yamaha keyboard that sounded really bad but when she visited she seemed to enjoy playing it, so for Christmas I got her a beginner Yamaha PSR-E313 just to see if she liked it.

Some months passed and she will finally start lessons tomorrow, I just wanted to know what is your opinion in the big piano vs keyboard debate.

Some people think that keyboards are just toys and some other people really like them, I know that the piano has weighted keys and you can control dynamics, (this keyboard I got her actually has touch sensitivity option) I know that she will not have the finger strength needed for a real piano but do you think a keyboard is a good instrument to start in music? just to learn theory, compose some songs or play along to some tunes she likes.

I just want to know what guitar players think about all this, Thanks in advance!
Its linearity makes it a great instrument to start learning music. I started with the keyboard myself, taught myself scales and chords. Lessons should definitely help.

I don't really think it matters which one you learn it on. If you are aspiring to become a practicing pianist, it is probably good to start with a piano because of its dynamics. Other than that, I doubt it matters.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
It is perfect for it actually. The only people who claim otherwise are music elitists than look down upon any cheaper instrument than their own. If it is full sized in terms of keys you can't go wrong and that touch sensitivity really helps too.
Keyboard are not toys. They are amazing instruments.

The weighted keys vs. non-weighted keys is optional. My keyboard does not have weighted keys, but you can get some that do.

The "piano vs. keyboard" debate is exactly the same as the "electric guitar vs. acoustic guitar" debate.

Acoustic guitars actually play without any electronics. Electric guitars play with electronics but you can be so much more versatile with one.

Same with keyboards & pianos.
children of bodom use keyboards , u can hardly call them cheap , well they use synthesizers but same difference
Honestly, the whole keyboard-piano debate comes down to what you are playing. I mean, for classical style playing, you will obviously want a piano. But if you are playing synth like I do... well, the choice is kind of obvious.

But, to answer TS question, keyboards are great for learning, much easier to pick up the different scales and chords and such than on, say, a grand piano.
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
Quote by aznmetalhead93
I personally like the sound of pianos better, because they sound more "natural".

This, but a keyboard is truely the more portable, practicle and affordable.

Remember, Guitar Pro can do sheet music and a keyboard with highlighted notes. She could potentially learn ANY song YOU wanted! Perfect. Now you can jam with your lady too. Just don't start a band with her!
wow thanks for the fast replies, yeah I actually think like everyone here, I was just reading some other sites about this and most people that chose piano did not seem too open minded, the keyboard seems like a great instrument to learn music... yeah I told her that when she learns we can play something together If I see she gets better at it and likes it I'll upgrade to one of those Roland Juno synthesizers
Eh... not to sound like a douche, but most cheap Yamaha and Casio keyboards are more-or-less toys. Not to say you can't learn on them or they aren't fun to screw around on (I have an old Yamaha PSR myself ), but you wouldn't catch a gigging musician using one. I'm not saying that non-piano keyboards are bad or anything, but the one you're dealing with is no Moog.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Quote by aznmetalhead93
I personally like the sound of pianos better, because they sound more "natural".

I second that.

On the other hand, a piano only has one sound. A good keyboard can offer all kinds of voices and modulations. I already have a pretty decent piano, but I'm planning on buying an Alesis Fusion 8HD so I can record orchestra parts when I don't happen to have an orchestra handy.

EDIT: ^ For the cheap ones, yes. I don't see how anyone could possibly function on synth-action keys. I automatically skip over boards that don't have weighted keys.
Last edited by Quintessence153 at Jun 23, 2008,
Keyboards are awesome...when was the last time your piano burped in 40 different pitches?
Quote by Quintessence153
I second that.

On the other hand, a piano only has one sound. A good keyboard can offer all kinds of voices and modulations. I already have a pretty decent piano, but I'm planning on buying an Alesis Fusion 8HD so I can record orchestra parts when I don't happen to have an orchestra handy.

Yeah, it's a pain in the arse that one. Saw this great lass from work in the trainstation the other day, and dmanit, they were all in McDeath getting coffee. Opportunity ruined.
Quote by Quintessence153
I second that.

EDIT: ^ For the cheap ones, yes. I don't see how anyone could possibly function on synth-action keys. I automatically skip over boards that don't have weighted keys.

Thats the same reason I'm getting a keyboard soon, I just think it'd add more versatility to my music. He just said it a million times cooler.
Yeah I didn't want to buy her one that would be too expensive if she was just going to try it out and see if she liked the instrument, I plan to upgrade the current one once she starts learning.

I remember my first guitar was $20 bucks and was really really cheap but it was what got me started
Keyboards can be like toys but they can also be seriously awesome. A decent keyboard will crap all over a cheap piano. I've played some really freakin realistic keyboards that feel and sound just like pianos and then have all the other voices. Plus they don't need tuning (I've been playing piano for 17 years but haven't touched my home piano in months because it's so out of tune it hurts). I don't think the finger strength issue is really an issue, as a lot of the realistic piano-style keyboards have pretty much the same action as an acoustic piano, but keyboards are still a good buy (and a heck of a lot cheaper than a decent piano).
keyboards can range from cheap toys to super high end professional instruments, but personally I would get one with velocity sensitive, weighted keys and a set of pedal so you can transfer to the piano, because playing a cheap keyboard requires different technique, because a piano is going to be a lot more responsive to ones playing than a cheap keyboard.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Jun 23, 2008,
I've learned and played on real pianos all my life, and I can't stand keyboards.

Unless you're going to focus on rock songs, I would start on an acoustic piano, not a keyboard. You can't get the true sound of other styles without a real one.
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
I learnt to play the piano on a yamaha touch sensitive keyboard...

One thing to bear in mind though is if she's starting lessons it will most likely be on a piano, where she'll struggle with pressure, and if she plans to do grades the exam will be on a piano as well. I managed fine though...