My sister got a PC game and it won't work because it said I needed a pixel shader. I installed one, and then she tried the game again. The game wouldn't start saying that the pixel shader was unavailable.

So then I opened up the pixel shader, and it came up with this:

It also says that a Direct X 9 compatible video card is needed, which I don't know if we have. I told her, that some games won't work on our computer because of stuff like that, but is there anything I can do or is it a no-go for sure?

I have Windows XP, but I don't know much else, I can find out whatever anyone would need to know though. Thanks, I appreciate any help.
Pissed.
if you can't run pixel shader, it's the graphics card that's too old
let me guess spore?:P

what graphic gard is in the pc?
Go Start > Run > Type dxdiag > See if it's installed.

Your computer in the end is probably too old, or your graphics card is damaged. Get FireFox btw.
Quote by Shawnstoppable
You probably need to download DirectX to start out with. You can get it here. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9226a611-62fe-4f61-aba1-914185249413&displaylang=en

Welcome to UG Jun 08er. You have no idea how nice is it to see a new person post such a senseable and useful advice when they first join. I'd wholeheartedly second that idea, given the information available.

TS: You may also find that the fact you are missing a DirectX 9 HAL (Hardware Application Layer), that your graphics card is simply incompatible with DirectX 9's pixel shading commands.
You probably just have an older graphics card.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Quote by saphrax
Welcome to UG Jun 08er. You have no idea how nice is it to see a new person post such a senseable and useful advice when they first join. I'd wholeheartedly second that idea, given the information available.

TS: You may also find that the fact you are missing a DirectX 9 HAL (Hardware Application Layer), that your graphics card is simply incompatible with DirectX 9's pixel shading commands.

Why, thank you! I've been to several forums in the past, and have modded/admin'd a few.

On that note, let me add that your video card probably won't be able to handle it even after you get Direct X. Although I'm not going to swear by those words. I used to have an HP laptizzy. I bought a game, and it had an almost identical problem. Even after doing everything that I was suppose to, it would open up, but then shut down right away. You MIGHT try changing the resolution whenever you start the game.

If you don't mind my asking what game is it you're trying to play?
I don't know, she's 8 years old, it's some Pet Resort game. It doesn't matter to me, but it means a lot to her.

Are video cards easily installed, or are they something that you can't upgrade?
Pissed.
Quote by Unofficial
I don't know, she's 8 years old, it's some Pet Resort game. It doesn't matter to me, but it means a lot to her.

TBH, that PC probably won't run any game these days, even with a new graphics card. You'd be better off buying a new PC.

Incidentally though, installing a new graphics card is usually pretty straight forward.
Quote by Unofficial

They're easy once you know what you're doing and assuming it's a PC and not a laptop. Laptops are hell and I wouldn't suggest it. PC it's pretty much just, plug-n-play type stuff. I'm going to assume that your computer is an AGP compatible which isn't necessarily bad. It's seen as more primitive but is often cheaper and unless you're doing high end gaming, it'll work fine most of the time. Before you buy one, I would post here in this topic to make sure it's good, or even PM me if you want.

Edit:

The above poster makes a valid point. If you're running less than a gig of a ram, and less than a 1.4 ghz processor, you may re-consider everything altogtether before dropping some money on a video card.
^It depends. If you have an AGP or PCIe slot it's farily easy, but I know a lot of older budget PCs have integrated graphics with no way to upgrade.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
It is a PC, but would a video card be too expensive? I wouldn't be buying it, but I don't want to waste anybody's money. Is it as simple as plugging it into a PCI port?
Pissed.
Quote by Unofficial
It is a PC, but would a video card be too expensive? I wouldn't be buying it, but I don't want to waste anybody's money. Is it as simple as plugging it into a PCI port?

WARNING!

TS, do NOT buy a card marked PCI (or more likely PCIe). PCI won't help at all, as it's now a very defunct method for communicating with high end perhipherals. PCIe is a new standard, which will NOT be compatible with an 8 year old PC.

You'd need to make sure your PC has an AGP port of you were to follow this route. Getting hold of an AGP card will be tricky, as it got replaced by PCIe as the de facto standard for graphics card ports a few years ago.

Edit:

An AGP port is typically brown, and above the cream/white PCI ports on the motherboard. Google images can help if you're not sure.