really though, I broke my G string while playing (Anaesthesia) Pulling Teeth,

This, somehow, is my first time ever breaking a bass string. I have never restrung a bass. My bass (schecter Stiletto Elite 4) came stock with Elixirs (with that cool NanoWeb thing that makes them last longer) and after more than a year, they still sonded good, so I didn't change them

Now, good bass forum, I ask you what strings should I get this time? I AM on a limited budget (ie, I don't think I can justify $50 for another set of Elixirs), but otherwise, I am open to suggestion.

Also, how do I re-string this beast? same as a guitar?

EDIT: yes I do refer to my bass as a she.
Well I like ernie balls, but it really depends, what kind of winding do you want?
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I would buy Ernie Ball Super Deluxe bass strings. They're very nice and smooth, and sound great. Only 20 bucks too.
And I actually tend to refer to my bass as a he. =D lol.
Yeah ya just restring it same as a guitar.
Last bass strings i got were ernie ball jazz strings which i reeeally like but theyre like £25 ($50) so maybe outta yer price range.
Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Well I like ernie balls, but it really depends, what kind of winding do you want?

uh, roundwound? dunno, really, is there a difference or something?
just get the elixirs again they are great strings thats what i use on my bass and they are only $12 and yeah you string a bass like a guitar
Quote by sexothemonkee
just get the elixirs again they are great strings thats what i use on my bass and they are only $12 and yeah you string a bass like a guitar

where the **** are you that you can get them for $12??? They cost $39.99 where I am (Alexandria, Virginia)
just go for the cheapest kind. if u dont like them then start goin up in price.
member of the fender armada. PM mr_hankey or hendriko to join

cuz fender is awxome its true
I play on Rotosounds, really nice bright sound and seem to last for a good ammount of time
Quote by kradamek
just go for the cheapest kind. if u dont like them then start goin up in price.

in the short term, you may be right, but long term, that will just end up costing me 10x as much.

NEXT

EDIT: ok, what kind of Rotosounds?
Quote by smb
Rotosound Swing 66.

I read up on the reviews for these on MusiciansFriends and everyone said they sounded awesome, but lots of people also said they are a tad hard on the fingers. Is this true?
Well, I just changed my strings to rotosounds for the first time and they were a little tough at first but not so bad. And, they sound great so that's always a plus!
Quote by TurdFerguson
I read up on the reviews for these on MusiciansFriends and everyone said they sounded awesome, but lots of people also said they are a tad hard on the fingers. Is this true?

Not really. After a few days you'll be used to it and even then its not THAT big a difference. Anyone who says that they're like chainsaws while not being sarcastic doesn't know what they're talking about. And for future, MF review generally aren't great quality. Harmony Central has more substantial reviews.
Quote by TurdFerguson
I don't think they're any harder on the fingers than any steel roundwounds.
I'm not sure if I trust ernie ball strings any more, The new E string rattles like hell, and it's got nothing to do with the string/nut gauge. I'm thinking about taking it in to get the E restrung.
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Quote by IndianRockStar
Not really. After a few days you'll be used to it and even then its not THAT big a difference. Anyone who says that they're like chainsaws while not being sarcastic doesn't know what they're talking about. And for future, MF review generally aren't great quality. Harmony Central has more substantial reviews.

Harmony Central didn't have a review, so i turned to MusiciansFriend.
i use DR's and they always sound amazing and feel good too
Ibanez SR 505
Brice Defiant 6 lizardburst (soon to have)
GK 700rbII
GK BXL 4x10
GK BXL 1x15
Boss GT10B (soon to have)
so yeah, pretty much settled on these Rotosound strings. They sound like they'll be really good.
i use daddario, they last for a good time, have a nice bright with a bit of growl, feel great
i am looking to try ernie balls next time i change
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by szekelymihai
a bass is a man's instrument. Depending on the context, it can be a he or a she

most men don't play with men, so I refer to mine as as a she.

I like DR strings, but it really just depends on personal preferance, the type of music, and your budget
~Insert Signature Here~
Rotosounds are well worth it. Besides, if they hurt your fingers, it must be time to build up the callouses, eh?
Quote by szekelymihai
a bass is a man's instrument. Depending on the context, it can be a he or a she
I think mine are a mix. My 5er has a lovely slim neck and delicate curves...a delicate voice but she can get dirty...clearly a female. My hollow Ibanez, on the other hand, isn't subtle or feminine, and it grunts like a man. I'm not sure about my ATK.
^ Wow, the first thing my sleep deprived brain thought of after reading that was "How would you describe a Thunderbird in terms of gender?"
Gear:

Fender Mexi Fat Strat
2005 Taylor 614ce

Fender MIM J-Bass Fretless
I used to stick to the regular Bass String companies - D'addario, Rotosounds, Ernie Ball and GHS.

But recently whilst I was at the London Guitar Show I tried out a bass equipped with ClearTone Strings. It's a company owned by Aria Guitars. Their .45's are heavenly!

I recommend them to everyone!
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
I thought this thread was a necropost. Because this thread title happens once a year.

In the future, please use only relevant titles.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!