Well, I've changed my picking style quite a bit. Now, I've gotten to a style that works for me and it's anchoring. It decreases my speed. Now I'm tired of getting bad results. The styles that were comfortable, slowed me down. They styles that were "correct" were very uncomfortable and decreased my acuraccy.

I curve my fingers under my hand and opening my hand feels uncomfortable. So, what position could be "correct" and helping me speed wise. I'm looking for ideas please.

EDIT:Will update later.
If ur ears aint ringin...ur doin it wrong

I don't know much about technique but it seems strange to me that what feels "comfortable" for you would actually slow you down.

How long have you been playing?

It could be a simple matter of practicing.

Though the debate is still out, from what I've read anchoring is something you shouldn't do.
Doesn't Freepower have vids in his sig about this? I know there have been threads in Advanced Techniques on this. If you search in there i'm sure you'll find something helpful.

Edit: you might like this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyvGD9edWcg
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Last edited by metal4all at Jun 23, 2008,
Proper technique is not comfortable at first.

That's the hardest thing to get into the heads of my cello students. They can't keep their right hand in proper form until a few months of lessons; by then, I've beaten it into them, and they're far better cellists for it.

So, what I'm saying is: just force yourself to play with these 'uncomfortable' techniques; proficiency and ease of use will come.
imo, i see nothing wrong with anchoring. i dont see it as handicaping your speed at least in my experience. i rest my wrist on the top of my bridge most of the time. i don't play stuff with fast picking a lot of the time so w/e doesnt really effect me much.
Stick at and see if it gets any easier.
You are like a hurricane
There's calm in your eye.
And I'm gettin' blown away
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
I used to pick with a closed fist when I started out too. BUt then I saw videos of experieced guitarists and all of them had an open hand, so I started to do that too because I didn't want to look like a noob. Sometimes peer pressure forces you to do things
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
Just do what feels comfortable to you, most people on here tell you not the rest your hand on the bridge when playing..

yet most of the people that i have heard that do that are really sloppy, and get so much string noise it hurts.

And with anchoring, it doesnt matter as long as your not resting alot of pressure on your anchoring finger...

so yeah...do what is most comfortable for you
^yes, it does matter. don't do it. if it's uncomfortable then just suck it up and deal with it and keep practicing, it will eventually become normal and second nature to play unanchored.
Quote by griffRG7321
Just do what feels comfortable to you, most people on here tell you not the rest your hand on the bridge when playing..

yet most of the people that i have heard that do that are really sloppy, and get so much string noise it hurts.

And with anchoring, it doesnt matter as long as your not resting alot of pressure on your anchoring finger...

so yeah...do what is most comfortable for you

Keep in mind its the pressure, that makes it anchoring. having your hand open, and letting your fingers touch the guitar is fine.

^ not "anchoring", yet touching the guitar
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jun 24, 2008,
There's mixed opinions on this...obviously.

Although I don't encourage anchoring with the pinky/ring finger, some people find it comfortable and it works for them. Personally, I used to do it, and got to a point in my technique where I couldn't play faster, so I stopped. It took me about 3 weeks of heavy practice to stop it, and now I don't anchor. I just pretty much practiced scales and Paganini's 24th and 5th caprice without anchoring. Keep in mind, those are somewhat difficult pieces and require lots of picking/string skipping etc.

My advice is, no matter how hard it seems, keep practicing unanchored. It'll get easier. And practice the hardest of all things unanchored. It'll give you better and faster results IMO, trains the picking hand.