So I'm thinking of buying a Line 6 Spider III 75 and I was wondering if they are pretty reliable cause I play on hauling it back and fourth to band practices and gigs.

I mostly play Alternative/Punk/Ska and i know that this amp gives pretty good tone but is it a good amp for my purpose? or should i keep searching, any suggestions?

My price range is anywhere between $300-500 so if you have any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

"Seperate the Body From The Mind"
your an 06er and you havent heard the flame of the spiders?

Just don't get a spider. get a good tube amp. The peavey Windsor is right up your alley. Maybe a VK112

Please don't get a spider seeing as 90% of the people who get one regret it.
Quote by Demonikk
+1 on everything phip said

Main Gear
PRS SE Custom
Jay Turser Strat
Classic 30
Effects
Beheringer Distortion pedal
Dunlop Cry Baby
DigiTech Bad Monkey
+1 to a windsor or a valveking. The cleans on the VK aren't that great, though.
Quote by imgooley
+1 to a windsor or a valveking. The cleans on the VK aren't that great, though.

are you kidding? the cleans are amazing considering the price.

EDIT: i forgot to put in my first answer that the last gig i played, i was playing with a guitarist using Line6 spider, i was using my VK112, and it completely blew it out the water. in the song we played there are multiple time where it goes clean. i just selecteced neck pick up and rolled off the volume, instant clean tone, roll the volume back up and i had the OD i needed for the rest of the song.
Last edited by metalhead_365 at Jun 23, 2008,
Windsor is your best bet. I've played one and it had amazing cleans and with an OD you can get some really good heavy stuff out of it.

heres the link for the specs

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Windsor-Studio-20W-1x12-Tube-Combo-Amp-481660-i1386608.gc\

@ metal head. I also almost bought the VK but it didn't have good cleans. compare it to C30 or even the black heart handsome devil

EDIT: I do agree everyone likes something different so try out the spider. I personally have played it and thought wow UG was right.
Quote by Demonikk

Main Gear
PRS SE Custom
Jay Turser Strat
Classic 30
Effects
Dunlop Cry Baby
DigiTech Bad Monkey
Last edited by phip at Jun 23, 2008,
Try out the amp. It's very versatile for digital. I've heard bad things about reliability (bad chips, overheats...) but it's all up to you. If you like the sounds you can get, that should be a worthy investment.

Seems as though the spider flame is slighlty bandwagoned. But, I stress, TRY IT OUT!
^classic 30 great amp if you can find it used BUY IT

I found mine used no scratches and it was 350 with JJ tubes in it. Replaced the speaker and had a perfect amp
Quote by Demonikk

Main Gear
PRS SE Custom
Jay Turser Strat
Classic 30
Effects
Dunlop Cry Baby
DigiTech Bad Monkey
Quote by metalhead_365
are you kidding? the cleans are amazing considering the price.

EDIT: i forgot to put in my first answer that the last gig i played, i was playing with a guitarist using Line6 spider, i was using my VK112, and it completely blew it out the water. in the song we played there are multiple time where it goes clean. i just selecteced neck pick up and rolled off the volume, instant clean tone, roll the volume back up and i had the OD i needed for the rest of the song.

No freakin way are the Valveking cleans any where near good. You can get better cleans out of a Crate V series, a Classic 30, an AD50VT, a Blues Custom, a Blues Junior, to name a few. The Valveking would not be a good fit for someone trying to play blues or jazz, because the cleans lack dynamic control, are thin, and tend to have a kind of 'pop' when you hit them. I think they sound best when you drown them in reverb, which is only suitable for country, rockabilly, and surf. Not what I would call good, even at that price.
I don't really recommend the Windsor, unless you're in a Judas Priest cover band.
For your price range, try looking around for a used Fender, something like a SF Bassman head or a Twin Reverb.
If you're looking for "great tone" don't get the Spider. I have one. It's good for covers, but not for "good tone" that inspires you.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
valve king............best bang for the buck.....a company called fja does mods to these amps for a very resonable price, you can check it out on youtube, type in peavey valve kind+fja mod. I think the forum will be suprised.
"People worry too much about tone instead of just rocking out"
Last edited by JaredFace at Jun 23, 2008,
theres a vc-50 in the gear ads right now too for 450, they are very nice amps and should work for alternative ska and what have you.
true the Peavey Valveking's cleans are not as good as a Peavey Classic 30 or Fender amp, but check this guys demo out and judge for yourself. The first half is mostly clean the second half is dirty.

either way, tough to beat for $400 new and he has done NO upgrades.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Sadistic+sponge/

just thought i'd share for those that have not heard it

again, maybe not Ska, but def can do Alt and Punk

personally tho, the reverb sucks and i leave it '0' myself
Quote by imgooley
No freakin way are the Valveking cleans any where near good. You can get better cleans out of a Crate V series, a Classic 30, an AD50VT, a Blues Custom, a Blues Junior, to name a few. The Valveking would not be a good fit for someone trying to play blues or jazz, because the cleans lack dynamic control, are thin, and tend to have a kind of 'pop' when you hit them. I think they sound best when you drown them in reverb, which is only suitable for country, rockabilly, and surf. Not what I would call good, even at that price.

you are right, but i really do like the cleans. with a chorus pedal in the loop it makes it really quite pleasant. for a high gain amp they are very good, but i suppose in the grand sceme of things there nothing special.