Yes I did it! I stole from Gibson! Rubs hands maniacly (sp?)

Anyway, for my first project, I basically wanted to build a Gibson Firebird V out of a different body wood and use different pickups for a different metal sound, similar to Rammstein and Metallica.

I also wanted to give it a personal finish including some simple inlays on the neck and headstock. Am I going too far for a first timer?

My dad is good with his hands and specializes in wood and electronics, but he's never built a guitar before (but he's built a gun, fancy that)

Body- Mahogany or Alder
Neck- Maple, Thin U
Fingerboard- Rose wood
Scale- 25.5"
Neck through construction
Grover Tuners
Pups- EMG 81 Bridge and Neck
Frets- 24 Extra Jumbo
Hardware- Black or Black Chrome
Black Pickgaurd
Input Jack on side of body
Solid Body Guitar
Control- Tone/Tone/Volume

How much would the tools and materials cost?
Any help would be greatly appreciated, I know I'm a noob stepping into dangerous territory...
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by DiMeTiMe

....LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Sounds cool .

can you say immature?
Quote by Gunpowder
C'mon, man. We're just kidding. We all know that drummers are important.

After all, without drummers, who would bag my groceries?

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
hahaha sorry but you set yourself up for it, but sounds cool. So it'll be a v with rounded edges or what?
Hehe i was bout to quote that line but got beat to it =( sounds like a good idea, question, why EMG 81 in both neck and bridge position? Nothing wrong with that just most people (me included) tend to go for 81 and 85.
Quote by rebelmidget
your pubes are like the amazon rainforest and your body is planet earth. trim a little here and there and your life will be more comfortable
but cut down the whole damn forest and mother nature is going to cut you

I dont know, like I said I'm a nub and my 2 fav guitars from my 2 fav guys (RZK and Kurt Hammet) use EMG 81 on both, I dont know the diference, so educate me...
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

So would a
B-81
M-85
N-60
sound nice?
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha sorry but you set yourself up for it, but sounds cool. So it'll be a v with rounded edges or what?

i tihnk the V meant the roman numeral 5

anyways. this is pretty cool. i was thinking of getting a gibson firebird.
getting pics soon?
Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Marshall MG100DFX *SOLD* REPLACED WITH PEAVEY CLASSIC 30
Boss GT-8
Breedlove AD/25 SR Plus

I'm TOOcool for sigs
uhhh... if i knew how to post em... I'll try...
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie

Quote by VanTheKraut
So would a
B-81
M-85
N-60
sound nice?

you got it all backwards dude. if your looking for balancing the output between the pickups so that when playing and you switch between them there will be as little difference in volume as possible, youll want
b-60
m-81
n-85
but if you want as much power as possible and dont give a **** about sustain (with any gutar with 3 emgs you obviously dont) you could put an 85 in the neck for the hottest pickup possible. or do b-81 n-60 and then have a series/parralel for two emgs in series. essentiallyone big emg which would be an EMG141. yea. trump card.
Okay, I have a reverse picture on my profile page, its reverse because my camera is a homosexual and takes mirror images...
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie

Quote by tragictravisty
good comment

eh?
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie

Quote by VanTheKraut
Okay, I have a reverse picture on my profile page, its reverse because my camera is a homosexual and takes mirror images...

like i said, great comment.
To insert pictures directly in your post you need the address to which you've uploaded them - I went ahead and mirrored the picture from your profile for you and uploaded it to a photobucket account.

Have you read through the tutorials? If not - I suggest you do that, you might consider buying a book on guitar building, but hey, it's up to you.

What tools do you have already? If you don't need something like a bandsaw, your costs will be cut dramatically.

The cost of woods varies, have you checked any local lumberyards? You can buy woods online - but the cost goes up with shipping and such.
Online a maple neck blank can cost ~ $70
a mahogany body blank will be in the range of ~ $90-120

edit: Actually - with a through body you might have to spend more on the maple but considerably less on the mahogany by getting two pieces instead of the single blanks I was sourcing.
Last edited by guitar/bass76 at Jun 24, 2008,
Did your mama drop you on your head when you were a baby?

Quote by tragictravisty
you got it all backwards dude. if your looking for balancing the output between the pickups so that when playing and you switch between them there will be as little difference in volume as possible, youll want
b-60
m-81
n-85
No, idiot, you're the one who has it all backwards.
There is greater string deflection at the neck, so the bridge is where the higher output pickup needs to be.

putting a mild pickup like the 60 at the bridge
and a hotter pickup like the 85 at the neck is just plain stupid.

Quote by tragictravisty
but if you want as much power as possible and dont give a **** about sustain (with any gutar with 3 emgs you obviously dont) you could put an 85 in the neck for the hottest pickup possible. or do b-81 n-60 and then have a series/parralel for two emgs in series. essentiallyone big emg which would be an EMG141. yea. trump card.
Did you wash your foot before you put it in your mouth?

these are Active pickups. you CAN'T wire them in series.

go sit in the corner and shut up.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by guitar/bass76
To insert pictures directly in your post you need the address to which you've uploaded them - I went ahead and mirrored the picture from your profile for you and uploaded it to a photobucket account.

Have you read through the tutorials? If not - I suggest you do that, you might consider buying a book on guitar building, but hey, it's up to you.

What tools do you have already? If you don't need something like a bandsaw, your costs will be cut dramatically.

The cost of woods varies, have you checked any local lumberyards? You can buy woods online - but the cost goes up with shipping and such.
Online a maple neck blank can cost ~ $70
a mahogany body blank will be in the range of ~ $90-120

edit: Actually - with a through body you might have to spend more on the maple but considerably less on the mahogany by getting two pieces instead of the single blanks I was sourcing.

I already own a Band saw, sander, wood glue and other stuff like that. There are some specialty tools that I probably dont have tho...

Edit: Color picture on my page now...
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Jun 24, 2008,
I'd say go for maple body, so that you have all middle and high end sustain imaginable, that or ash, for mid lows and low high sustain.
And fretboard, ebony is WELL WORTH the cost, it's like heaven on your fingers.
As for pickups, I'd say get atleast oen passive in there, and a rockfield fat ass is an AWESOME pickup, really great definition, even with a wall of distortion. I thought they were active when I first heard them, but when I bought one, NO BATTERIES!
Awesoem pups.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
Rockfield Fat ass? nice name, I'll check 'em out.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie

Quote by VanTheKraut
Rockfield Fat ass? nice name, I'll check 'em out.

I'd describe it as a really defined version of a "fat" pickup.
It's not muddy and undfined like "Overwound" high-output.
It's like an active pickup, in the calrity and definition, and it's not crazy high output, but higher than vintage.
Unlike most other "fat pickups" It's not just BOOM, it's more refined. It's very articulated, even through walls of distortion.
I'd have to say it's my favorite passive modern pickup (as in not highly following vintage specs).
I also like the rockfield select wound costumes, when it comes to a modern pickup with some vintage vibes, but coil tapped the sound is even better. Fuller than a strat, somewhat like a nice thinline tele.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!