Hey I was looking into buying a Peavey 6505. I want an amp good for Metalcore mostly. I need Clear harmonics, chunky palm mutes with not too much chugga-chugga, and most of all, defined single notes for maximum clarity on solos, and fast riffs. Basically, everything that makes Metal so sweet! And, I want to have as much gain and punch as possible without using a pedal.

I wanna nail a good Darkest Hour tone above all, but also have headroom for bands like Atreyu, the Sword, etc. and just more heavy rock stuff like Van Halen.

I can't find a vendor near me that has a Peavey 6505, so does anyone here have one or has anyone here played one that can tell me if it's the right amp for me?

Thanks!
Gear:
-Krank Krankenstein JR 50W
-Orange PPC112 w/ Celestion Vintage 30
-Gibson Les Paul Studio (white)
-Gibson Flying V
-MXR Carbon Copy
-Digitech Whammy
-Digitech JamMan
-Boss SD-1
-Epiphone Hummingbird
its the right amp for you if you're not too obsessed with cleans
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
use the searchbar. the 6505 is one of the more popular high gain amps around here.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Hmmm if I wanted to be able to do cleans a little bit still and lighter rock on something like a JCM 900? And how do I even know the Peavey 6505 has enough gain?
Gear:
-Gibson Flying V
-MXR Carbon Copy
-Digitech Whammy
-Digitech JamMan
-Boss SD-1
-Epiphone Hummingbird
Last edited by WenisWeasel at Jun 23, 2008,
Quote by acdclandon
its the right amp for you if you're not too obsessed with tone

fixed.

The amp is really good for what TS listed. I played one and was impressed by the distorted sound. It was really tight, like they say, and very defined.

However, it also seemed too sterile... like it had no emotion. Just chunk chunk chunk but with no life. It is good for metal, whatever that even means, but not good for music with any charm to it.

That's just my (moderately experienced) opinion.
_______
|||||||||||||||
maybe look into the 6505+
it has an extra EQ for channel one, and the cleans are definetly an improvment than the normal 6505

still though, you basically dont buy a 6505 for the clean channel lol
Top lel.
What's the + part mean?
Gear:
-Gibson Flying V
-MXR Carbon Copy
-Digitech Whammy
-Digitech JamMan
-Boss SD-1
-Epiphone Hummingbird
Quote by WenisWeasel
Hmmm if I wanted to be able to do cleans a little bit still and lighter rock on something like a JCM 900? And how do I even know the Peavey 6505 has enough gain?

look, trying to hit decent to good cleans, a little crunch overdrive, and than say metalcore or whatever genre you're after is REALLY hard
maybe the evh 5150, but thats awfully expensive
its just up to how badly do you want good cleans, or a good light overdrive
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by WenisWeasel
And how do I even know the Peavey 6505 has enough gain?

If the 6505 doesn't have enough gain for you, there's something seriously wrong.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
^^^
And lawl to the one above me

Alright, least I know gainwise I'm good

Yeah I know it can be hard, and when I say good clean, I don't mean astronomical, really I just mean more of "not crappy" and not unbearable.

But whats the difference In a 6505 and the 6505+?
Gear:
-Gibson Flying V
-MXR Carbon Copy
-Digitech Whammy
-Digitech JamMan
-Boss SD-1
-Epiphone Hummingbird
Last edited by WenisWeasel at Jun 23, 2008,
Quote by WenisWeasel
What's the + part mean?

The 6505+ has an actual clean/crunch channel and has a seperate EQ for each channel. Unfortunately its about £200 more.
But is the difference worth it?
Gear:
-Gibson Flying V
-MXR Carbon Copy
-Digitech Whammy
-Digitech JamMan
-Boss SD-1
-Epiphone Hummingbird
Quote by WenisWeasel

Thats only for you to decide. The cleans on the 6505 aren't great, I'd class them as useable.. stick a chorus in front of it and it won't be that bad. If it was me, I'd save and go with 6505+ because I like a proper clean channel and the extra EQ doesn't exactly hurt either.
Alright sounds good. I guess I might consider the 6505 plus. At the moment I'm ampless so I'm in a rush to get a new amp, and saving up for the plus would set me back quite back.
Gear:
-Gibson Flying V
-MXR Carbon Copy
-Digitech Whammy
-Digitech JamMan
-Boss SD-1
-Epiphone Hummingbird
Quote by WenisWeasel
Alright sounds good. I guess I might consider the 6505 plus. At the moment I'm ampless so I'm in a rush to get a new amp, and saving up for the plus would set me back quite back.

eBay is always my friend when I'm buying gear. Used 5150IIs and 6505+ (same amp) go on there for reasonably cheap prices, espcially if you're in the US.
Quote by WenisWeasel

imo yes!

you can get a little bit more variety in your tones, and a slighly better clean channel is a bonus too especially from an amp with so much gain

btw, about the gain. I had it on about 4 and it was almost too much. That was at quiet volume though!
Top lel.
The 6505 is a high gain amp. It has more gain than you'll EVER need. Absolutely no one plays it with the gain on full....its just too much and it muddy's up the tone.

The 6505 is a very dark sound amp, as opposed to ENGL's which are bright. The bass is very much present as are the mids. It is not a loose sounding amp, in fact with an EQ pedal and and overdrive, the thing is pretty damn tight.

In conclusion, almost every ****ing metalcore/death metal band has used a 6505 at least once in their career. Try one out at a shop, im sure you'll like it.
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
IMO the 6505 is better then the 6505+ for metal. It sounds darker where the 6505+ is brighter then the 6505 with less gain.
Amp-5150 Block Letter

Cab-Recto 4x12

Guitar-Jackson DKMG

Pedals-to many to name
Quote by Tom_hatton
Thats only for you to decide. The cleans on the 6505 aren't great, I'd class them as useable.. stick a chorus in front of it and it won't be that bad. If it was me, I'd save and go with 6505+ because I like a proper clean channel and the extra EQ doesn't exactly hurt either.

This is sort of a common misconception. The 6505 was two channels as well and had the bright/crunch buttons, however it had no separate EQ or resonance/presence controls and shared one with the lead channel. The 6505+ is also two channels with the bright/crunch switches, but it does have the separate EQ and resonance/presence knobs. The only thing that would make them "better" is if you EQ'd it right.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Quote by rwalby9
This is sort of a common misconception. The 6505 was two channels as well and had the bright/crunch buttons, however it had no separate EQ or resonance/presence controls and shared one with the lead channel. The 6505+ is also two channels with the bright/crunch switches, but it does have the separate EQ and resonance/presence knobs. The only thing that would make them "better" is if you EQ'd it right.

Ah right, I get you.

Just out of interest, how did you get your 6505 running at 60W? I assume it was removing a couple of poweramp tubes?