Page 1 of 2
What's a good wah pedal for old school death metal/thrash metal? I like bands like Death, Morbid Angel, Obituary, Celtic Frost, Megadeth, Testament, Metallica, Exodus, Anthrax, etc. I own a Morley Power Wah right now, and while it does a good job, it's pretty plain. It's not spring loaded and you can't adjust anything; there's only a power button and a knob to adjust the level of wah. I need a wah that cuts through. I was thinking about getting a Dunlop 535Q if it's any good for metal? What you think? I have $200.
everyone just used a regular crybaby
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Quote by bi-ah!
everyone just used a regular crybaby

i don't care what they used.. im willing to use a new pedal as long as it has some features and cuts through good... is the ibanez weeping demon any good?
Dunlop 535Q FTW!!

.....\,========================]
...../ ..---.........................-----.............|]
..../_==o;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;-------.:/
....), ...(_(_) ..../
...// (..) ), ------"
..//......//
.//......//
//......//
go test at a store.
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
Normally I'd suggest Vox. But they pretty much suck for metal/high gain purposes.

I'd say Dunlop 535Q like stussy said. That or maybe the Dime one..... the Crybaby from Hell.

Quote by muse-ik
go test at a store.

Actually, listen to him.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by Tom_hatton
Weeping Demon is the best wah on the market currently.

so you think it's better then the 535Q for my style music?
Quote by kirkhammett09
so you think it's better then the 535Q for my style music?

It depends. If you're going to use it just for metal then maybe not... one of the reasons I think the Weeping Demon is great is because its extremely versatile. If you want to play funk and whatever on it then the Dunlop might not be such a good choice.

Personally I'd get the Ibanez because the tweakability just appeals to me so much more, and I find that Dunlop wahs tend to get a bit harsh on the high end (but maybe thats just me). Best thing to do would be to test them out side-by-side.
Quote by Tom_hatton
It depends. If you're going to use it just for metal then maybe not... one of the reasons I think the Weeping Demon is great is because its extremely versatile. If you want to play funk and whatever on it then the Dunlop might not be such a good choice.

Personally I'd get the Ibanez because the tweakability just appeals to me so much more, and I find that Dunlop wahs tend to get a bit harsh on the high end (but maybe thats just me). Best thing to do would be to test them out side-by-side.

:/ im in the middle of nowhere so i can't try.. my parents won't take me to a bigger city to try them lol...... So what are the pros and cons of both the 535Q and the Weeping Demon? I'll probably be getting one of those
Quote by kirkhammett09
:/ im in the middle of nowhere so i can't try.. my parents won't take me to a bigger city to try them lol...... So what are the pros and cons of both the 535Q and the Weeping Demon? I'll probably be getting one of those

535Q>weeping demon
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
You are going to be 17, can't you just drive yourself to the guitar store? You should always try out guitar stuff before you buy, I couldn't even think of buying a pedal and not even trying it.
Quote by bi-ah!
535Q>weeping demon

Everybody likes one or the other... Can someone list the pros and cons of each so I can decide for myself? Everyones either a diehard crybaby fan or likes the weeping demon.... also, please remember im playing death metal (not korn and crap lol) so I want the best pedal for that style of music...
weeping demon SOUNDS epic lol... idk though.. I love ibanez though, nice tube screamers, and tone blaster amps... they dont eff around. try it out man... that's all everyone does. there are too many "what do i buy" threads. it's not like (big anyways) guitar stores don't let you demo effects pedals if you wanna buy something.
I like the bad horsie. Extremely convienant as far as usage while playing goes. No need to click it on and off. It's on only when depressed, and cuts off as soon as you're off of it.

It can do metal...look at Vai.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by bi-ah!
535Q>weeping demon

Look man, just because "Dunlops are the only tr00 wah" and "everyone used a Crybaby" doesn't mean it's the greatest. I have a Crybaby and it's absolutely terrible. Now I've heard that the 535Q is a big improvement, but you shouldn't jump into it just because it's a Crybaby.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by kirkhammett09
What's a good wah pedal for old school death metal/thrash metal? I like bands like Death, Morbid Angel, Obituary, Celtic Frost, Megadeth, Testament, Metallica, Exodus, Anthrax, etc. I own a Morley Power Wah right now, and while it does a good job, it's pretty plain. It's not spring loaded and you can't adjust anything; there's only a power button and a knob to adjust the level of wah. I need a wah that cuts through. I was thinking about getting a Dunlop 535Q if it's any good for metal? What you think? I have $200.

A lot of your problem with your current pedal is that you probably don't use it in an effects loop on your amp. Wah sounds best when it's in the chain after distortion. So a new pedal probably won't avail you much, I wouldn't have thought.
i tried and owned both the wheeping demon and 535q. i like the 535q cause its very versatile, handles high gain well, and has the traditional sound. the wheeping demon was really really harsh, but i guess it all depends on what ur going for. i have my 535q for sale if ur interested (its a great pedal, i just need the money for other things).
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Zakk Wylde dunlop wah pedal owns everything.
Has extremly good range and sound for distortion (metal)
Why don't you just find something that fits you.. and go to a store and try some out...

But yea... 535Q.
Guitars:
'72 Telecaster Custom
Dean V-coustic
Ibanez ARZ307

Pedals:

Metal Muff
Mastortion
Dunlop Crybaby
Marshall Regenerator
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
MXR Analog Delay

Amp:
Peavey 1x12 Something..
Crybaby from Hell is the most versatile, natural sounding wah I've ever heard.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by SG Man Forever
Crybaby from Hell is the most versatile, natural sounding wah I've ever heard.

me too,
best ive ever played
best sounding, most metal, fits your music perfectly
way better than a normal crybaby
Great pedal
Dunlop DimeBag CryBaby From Hell is what you need
Quote by ShredGod George
me too,
best ive ever played
best sounding, most metal, fits your music perfectly
way better than a normal crybaby
Great pedal
Dunlop DimeBag CryBaby From Hell is what you need

the dimebag crybaby from hell is the 535q with a paintjob
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by Tom_hatton

I have one myself...It does everything. Its totally tweakable and its
got great features. I really like the pressure release feature where
you set the pedal to spring loaded and it only comes on when u press
it down. Its also true bypass so you wont even know its there when
its not on. You can also dial in any tone u want.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
I went to Guitar Center and tried out both the crybaby from hell and the weeping demon.... and I just couldn't get into the screeching sound of the crybaby... even though I think Dimebag is one of my favorite guitarist... I had to get the weeping demon... mostly because the sound seems to have more "tone" than the crybaby from hell..which seems to sound thinner

Quote by Stranglehold
He swallowed black nail polish and shat the word 'motherfucker' onto a non-metal kid. Rad.

Quote by severed-metal
You can dress a woman slutty, but she's not a slut. Understand?

living inside a drop only to die in an ocean
Try a Rocktron Black Cat. I've tried one a while ago at Guitar Center and it sounded great with high gain. I'm actually planning on getting one in the near future.
i like the features of the demon also. i like the switcwless mode and it's packed full of feature's. but i don't think you can go wrong either way. both pedal are damn good pedal's.
Quote by Martin Scott
A lot of your problem with your current pedal is that you probably don't use it in an effects loop on your amp. Wah sounds best when it's in the chain after distortion. So a new pedal probably won't avail you much, I wouldn't have thought.

This man speaks the truth.
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
wrong forum. you shouldn't post this in "electric guitar".
you should ask the ultimate wah thread. but i think they'd most probably recommend bad horsie or rmc wizard wah for high gain settings. and they'd probably say that both weeping demon and crybaby 535q are decent "overall" wah pedals.
personally i sold my weeping demon and got myself a bad horsie II.
you need to try them yourselves from here on.
"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat." -Mark Twain
get a crybaby modded.
Doowop dooby doo doowop doowah doolang
Blue days black nights doowah doolang!
I have a Dunlop Zakk Wylde Sig. Crybaby and it works great for metal. It's the only one I've ever owned so maybe I don't know what I'm talkin' about but I like it.
Quote by Tom_hatton

I dunno if this is your usual cynical humour, but I agree.

Especially for high gain stuff.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby Wah is pretty good. also it looks pretty badass!
There once was a chicken named Cluck.
He once was told that he sucked.
He tried to say something
but couldn't say nothing
and came up with "Cluckity-Fuck."

Peace out.
it's suppossed that the rocktron black cat moan work's great with heavy dists.,it actually includes dist., something that i've seen is that most of wah pedals are great 4 blues or rock, but few are for metal, weeping demon, bad horsie and black cat moan should do it man...
Keep It Heavy!!
Quote by MESAexplorer
I like the bad horsie. Extremely convienant as far as usage while playing goes. No need to click it on and off. It's on only when depressed, and cuts off as soon as you're off of it.

It can do metal...look at Vai.

Go for the horsie 2. Even more versitile. Toe down switches suck.
Life is like an Empty Box, there could be something exciting in it at first look, but upon further review, well, it's empty.

Quote by Tom_hatton

Tom made the most intelligent post in this thread so far.

Anyway, I've tried the 535Q and the Weeping Demon side-by-side, in fact, I was going to buy a 535Q until I tried the Weeping Demon.

Seriously.

Weeping Demon
Pros:
- Stompbox mode
- Full rotary Q knob
- Bass wah mode
- Volume knob
- Full rotary low frequency Q knob
Cons:
- Doesn't sound all that amazing on clean, IMO, but I use EMGs, so you probably wouldn't like my cleans anyway.
- Without the spring activated in stompbox mode, the expression pedal tends to slide to the toe-down position.

Crybaby 535Q
Pros:
- 6-position Q control
- +/- 16dB boost
Cons:
- It gets a little too treble-y compared to most wahs.
- Only 6 positions for Q control
- No volume or output control

That's how I saw it when I tried them.
Decide for yourself.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Page 1 of 2