Im wondering what are some good amps that can get a good Alice in Chains type sound, or decent alternative metal/hard rock sounds. Im mainly looking at distortion/overdrive. Im currently using a Fender Princeton 65 amp and a Samick Avion guitar. Can anyone help me out?
Quote by mcrfobtai
Budget? Maybe a 6505/5150?

Im not currently looking to buy, just window shopping. If I had a budget, im thinking $200 to $400 range, but im pretty broke right now. I only need an amp for practice and small gigs right now. And what do the numbers mean?
He suggesting you check out those amps, the Peavey 5150 and Peavey 6505. Its the same amp. In short, it is good for heavy metal and rock but has less than stellar cleans. But at your current budget you would be very lucky to find one.

I wish I could help you more, but I dunno what Jerry Cantrell uses or know of any amps in that price range to get close to that sound.
Jerry has used a Mesa, Peavey 5150, and Bogner Uberschall.

Out of those three, your best bet would be a used 5150/6505 (same amp, different name, for future reference).
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by Slaytanic1993

Out of those three, your best bet would be a used 5150/6505 (same amp, different name, for future reference).

Yeah, if I'm not mistaken, didn't Peavey have to change the name from 5150 to something else because Eddie Van Halen bailed and went to Fender?

or was there a different reason?

Not threadjacking TS - I still say if you want a brand new amp look into the Peavey Valveking 112 for $400. If you can go used, check into these other brands. What do you consider a small gig and do you play other stuff as well?

Late-
either an old 2 channel dual recto head with a 2x12 or 4x12 cab, or a Mesa DC combo or head + cab, depending on your budget. Jerry's tones are amazing.

Although it'd be expensive as hell to create his sound, considering those Bogner Fish preamps are super rare, and a couple grand if you could ACTUALLY find one.
Quote by mcrfobtai
I thought the 6505 was first and the 5150 was just the 6505 with Eddies name attached. Ah, I'm probably wrong.

No the 5150/5150IIs were first. Then the 6505/6505+. Then when Eddie split with Peavey he came up with the 5150 III which I think he helped design with Fender.
Oh yeah, he helped design it alright. He partnered with Fender and went thru some pretty extensive tesing before he would allow it to be marketed unlike some other rock stars we know.

If I had $3K, I'd buy one.

I've been looking at the 5150s more and more and am surprised at the number of combos i see on ebay in the $400-$600 range.
Quote by dissident52
Well Jerry uses a Mesa Dual Rectifier Solo
Which he was known to blend with various Marshalls. This way he got the crunchy bite as well as the aggressive thickness.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
I consider a small gig like a small school gym or a bar, not a place with a lot of people. And I would like an amp with a decent clean tone as well, for variety.
Could I get a sound like jerry's using a pedal through my current amp(see first post) and if so, what kind? I have a cheap washburn distortion pedal, but haven't tried it with my amp.
And buying used isn't a problem, I got my amp at a pawnshop for $160( It was cheap and I needed a new amp, so I bought it). Would a Marshall give me some nice metal/hard rock distortion with a decent clean? I also play some Metallica and Nirvana songs, and other various post-grunge songs. And thanks people, I'll have to look into some of your suggestions.
Last edited by Tonganation at Jul 4, 2008,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

I still say if you want a brand new amp look into the Peavey Valveking 112 for $400. If you can go used, check into these other brands. What do you consider a small gig and do you play other stuff as well?

Late-

Do the valvekings have good clean tones? And I consider a small gig a small school gym or bar. I play some Nirvana and Metallica, as well as various post-grunge songs. I would like an amp that can come close to the sound of Alice In Chains, but not so specific that I can't get the sound of other bands too.
Listen to some of the clips from Sadistic Sponge and tell me if it is clean enough. Start with the 11 minute clip. 1st half is clean, 2nd half is heavy. This is a stock Valveking.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Sadistic+sponge/