im planning to buy my 1st acoustic, i hv bn playing elec for 2yrs. so yestrday i went to rockshop (in new zealand) played some epiphones DR200, walden and takamine ED20. i was blown away how takamine sounded it was so setup perfectly. nice sound n all. but i hv never heard of takamine. so is it a good brand compared to epi n walden?? i also saw ej200 for sale on local internet trading service. so can ny1 help me to figure out which is good?? also any other model suggestions for around $700 US dollars dats $500NZ dolars i think
Takamine guitars are generally only used for plugged in situations. They aren't the greatest sounding guitars when unplugged. If you had compared them to a mediocre quality Martin or Taylor, you would definately know the difference. However, if you are planning on playing plugged in, then it's a great guitar.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
I would rate Takamine second only to Alvarez for making great guitars acroos the board in all price ranges.

$700 US dollars dats $500NZ dolars i think

You've gone the wrong way there. $700(US) would be more like $900(NZ)
I love Takamines. Great quality, great tone, and fantastic playability. But I have to ask, what's an ED20? I can't find any information on that model.
Quote by Iron_Dude
Takamine guitars are generally only used for plugged in situations. They aren't the greatest sounding guitars when unplugged. If you had compared them to a mediocre quality Martin or Taylor, you would definately know the difference. However, if you are planning on playing plugged in, then it's a great guitar.

I dont completely agree. I think some takamines do sound nice unplugged. Not my preference of sound, but they still sound pretty good. Plugged in, takamines are very good guitars. A plugged in takamine can rival any other brand plugged in, guaranteed.

Also, Takamines are very well known for their playability. I absolutely hate glossed necks, but on a takamine, I'm just fine with it. The necks are fantastic.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Dear kiwihrish;

My Advise for your question is please check the ebay prices of takamine and epiphone. And also you can look to the other brands' acoustic guitars prices and models.
i think ebay is the hugest source that you can find all the prices for all the brands.
here are some links to make your search easy.

for takamine
for ovation
for Cort Acoustic Guitars
for Guild Acoustic Guitars
for Epiphone Acoustic Guitars
for Yamaha Acoustic Guitars
for Washburn Acoustic Guitars
Last edited by deep_blue_velve at Jun 25, 2008,
^^ I'm going to disagree with the above. You should really play before you buy if it is at all an option. If you really loved the one at the store, quick go back and grab it!
love my tak's.....they sound fantastic plugged or unplugged...well worth the money
ESP Eclipse with blackouts (Snow White)
Taylor 814ce (tabacco sunburst)
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15