I have a 1994 MIM strat and recently bought a new pickgaurd so that I could throw a humbucker in the bridge. I've looked online for the wiring diagram of an HSS strat, but all the schematics I could find were with a switch that has 4 tabs on each side.

My strat's switch looks like this

I have no idea how I am supposed to wire this up.. could someone please help? Thanks
?
Quote by ClimhazzardX
I have a 1994 MIM strat and recently bought a new pickgaurd so that I could throw a humbucker in the bridge. I've looked online for the wiring diagram of an HSS strat, but all the schematics I could find were with a switch that has 4 tabs on each side.
That sounds wrong. The description of the switch sounds more like a Squire than a Fender.

You didn't say what brand/model your HB is. That makes a huge difference.
Different companies use different colour codes for the wires.
Maybe if you gave more details someone else might help you farther.
This is the most you'll get from me.

http://www.squierguitars.com/pdf/diagrams/SquierStandardFatStrA8C.pdf

good luck,
SYK
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Ah thanks, that diagram should do nicely. The headstock has the serial for a MIM strat, it was originally SSS, but MIM strats are routed for HSS, so I bought a new pickgaurd and threw a GFS Crunchy Rails in there. Is there a way to authenticate the body as a strat and not a squire?
Last edited by ClimhazzardX at Jun 24, 2008,
I dissasembled it and it seems to be an mim strat, the neck is for sure, as is the body. The electronics seem to be a from a squire though? The pots are 500K... the pickups have the yellow and black wires... do '94 mim strats have pickups like this? How can you tell if the pickups are from a squire?
Quote by ClimhazzardX
Ah thanks, that diagram should do nicely. The headstock has the serial for a MIM strat, it was originally SSS, but MIM strats are routed for HSS, so I bought a new pickgaurd and threw a GFS Crunchy Rails in there. Is there a way to authenticate the body as a strat and not a squire?

Since when?
I've only seen SSS ones recently
Dump that switch - they are nasty - get a proper Oak switch - the don't cost much.

If the electrics are Squier, I'd guess that the body is - can't think of a sensible way to test it at the moment.

It's far more likely that someone has put a Fender neck on a squire body, than someone put Squier electrics on a Fender guitar.
Just get all new electornics.
It's what, 20 bucks tops from GFS?
Plus, you can put a coil tap in there for the Humbucker.

Oh, and as for routing, even mexican strats have that "swimming pool" routing where you could put in a HSH without extra routing.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
I really hope the body isn't that of a squire..... I took the next off the other day and it was dated for Oct 1994, so I believe it's an actual fender body, it is routed for HSS though.
Quote by _Tim_
Since when?
I've only seen SSS ones recently

1994 is not really 'recent'. I've seen mexican HSS strats from about '04 and '05, maybe they discontinued them recently?
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp