Hey Guitarist!

WHS (Welcome Home (Sanitarium)) is now finished! The song features 12 guitars. You might be thinking, "12 guitars!? WTH?". But it's actually quite simple. I played/recorded 2/3 guitar tracks for every 1 guitar track that was called for. That way I wouldn't have as much quality loss with my mic-recording setup.

One thing I should mention. The initial bass intro riff is a bit off. I had to use my friend's bass, and I must have forgot to tune it.... Anyway, it's just slightly out.

This song took my 6hrs to learn, 4hrs to record, and 3hrs of mixxing. There are a few flubs in the song. It is 6minutes and 35 seconds long, and after four hours of playing it. I just left them in.

Please leave comments, critiques, and ratings!!

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Djevik/music/all/play339760

-Dj
This is the full 6min song. So if someone wants to do a vocal track. I'd be more then willing to mix it into the song!
All the guitars are me. Recorded at different times, and mixxed together
Last edited by Djevik at Jun 24, 2008,
I listened to it the first time through and it sounds like you were cutting the solos short. Don't they hold the bass note for an extra measure?
randomguy2434:
I ended every solo early to clear up the air ways. I would have had alot of quality loss in the bass portion if I left the low E ringing after the solos.

thetoastinator:
Thanks!
Quote by Djevik
I played/recorded 2/3 guitar tracks for every 1 guitar track that was called for. That way I wouldn't have as much quality loss with my mic-recording setup.

Quote by Djevik

I ended every solo early to clear up the air ways. I would have had alot of quality loss in the bass portion if I left the low E ringing after the solos.

thetoastinator:
Thanks!

Please dont take me the wrong way and im sorry if i sound like a di*k to you,i certainly dont mean to:
You keep mentioning "quality loss" for whatever reason,i dont know.If you can spend 15 hours learning and recording.....then spend some time on the fundamentals of "mixing"..which will revert back to "recording" such as proper mic placement ect...and you wont have to make excuse for these "quality loss" things you keep mentioning. Remember,.."sh*t in equals sh*t out",you can only polish a turd so much.
Last edited by PsychomanZ at Jun 25, 2008,
Don't worry about it.

"If you can spend 15 hours learning and recording....."
I don't spend 15hours learning/recording in one session. I can play an hour one day then sometimes days go by before I can play again. So it's 15hrs of combined time. You see, it's hard for me to find time to play. Between college and work, I'm swamped.

For the recording part, it goes like this.... mic on..guitar on... playing... at 3:34 of 6:35. Then, "shoot!". I'll flub a chord or a note, and I'll start from the beginning. I've only been playing guitar for a little more then 2 years now, and the playing time is sporadic at best.

"then spend some time on the fundamentals of "mixing" ... and you wont have to make excuse for these "quality loss" things you keep mentioning."
You'll have to excuse me if I don't learn stuff so hardcore. I simply play to have fun. What time I do have to play. I usually spend it having fun with my guitar. I don't do intense studies or practice all that much to reach the next level. I only learn enough to play as good as the sound I want.

What it boils down to is this. Guitar is just a hobby of mine. I have a day job, and I know that I'll never live off gigs or what not. So guitar is just something I do for fun. Could I learn mic positions? Yeah. If I don't, will my recordings sound like crap? No. So I find it an unnecessary skill. Later down the road. When the sound I want to produce requires the use of that knowledge. Then sure, I will learn it, but till then no. For now, I like the sounds I'm producing. So there is no need for me to change it.

"quality loss". Is just a term I use for "laziness". Which, in my book, is pretty much the same thing.

And no, I don't think your a dick. It was a perfectly good question.

-Dj