Page 1 of 2
Sorry that this has been asked before, but I just couldn't find much relevant information. I am in need of a new amp that can kick some serious ass with its tone. I want a tube amp without built-in effects; just something that can sound really good. I play metal and death metal and it would be great to get a simple amp like this for under about $400. What's your recommendation?
with effects? under $400? AND tube?

Line 6 Valve? nah there a bit more than 400
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
If you can find a Randall RG50TC used for that much, it would be great for you.
I'd check out Bugera too, i'm not sure what their pricing is exactly, though.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
yeah, sort of. The B-52 At 50w version is 550 new. Go used and you can find one. Same with the randall. The bugeras are too new to be found used. If you can't go used for some idiotic reason, Roland cube.
fender blues jr.

I don't care if it's a blues amp it jams with pedals. Only thing builtin is the reverb which comes in handy.

EDIT: note to bjovi400, the Fender Champ would've fit that bill.
Last edited by PanHead at Jun 23, 2008,
Quote by PanHead
fender blues jr.

I don't care if it's a blues amp it jams with pedals. Only thing builtin is the reverb which comes in handy.

Even with pedals... it's not even close to be voiced for death metal.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by PanHead
fender blues jr.

we're talking death metal here.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
I checked out the Roland Cube, and it's pretty great, but I'll never use all the effects it has. And does anybody know just how great the distortion on the Roland is for death metal? That's really what I'm counting on.
^The cube's distortion should sound alright for death metal, but you can definitely do better.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Yeah, that's what I was thinking when I heard the demo... Would it be cheaper to get an amp without a distortion setting? Do they even exist? I fancy using my BOSS MT-2 Metal Zone for distortion.
Trommel, can you go used?

If not the Peavey Valveking is prolly the only thing you will find in the budet amp area that can do what you want but you will need a pedal to do death metal. Do you have any pedals? I am not a death metal expert. Can I assume that you are gigging?
I play Death Metal and I have a Cube. It's amazing. I play things like Emperor, At The Gates, Amon Amarth, Deicide, Behemoth and Nile, just to name a few.

You can't beat a Cube for the price.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Yeah, I can go used. I just want this to be the amp I go gigging and practice with.
Quote by ugmung
I play Death Metal and I have a Cube. It's amazing. I play things like Emperor, At The Gates, Amon Amarth, Deicide, Behemoth and Nile, just to name a few.

You can't beat a Cube for the price.

right but he want a TUBE amp and he GIGs
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
right but he want a TUBE amp and he GIGs

i don't think the caps were necessary.

you can gig with a Cube 60, just not very big gigs.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Quote by forsaknazrael
^I beg to differ. Most places will have you miked up, it'll work fine.

true. but then again, how is that a problem? you just said you can't gig with it and you just clearly stated that it's gigable. now he's not really going to find a good Tube amp for Death Metal in that price range...so i say go for the Cube.

EDIT: Sorry. Azrael, i thought you were 311!
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Quote by darkarbiter7
If you can find a Randall RG50TC used for that much, it would be great for you.
I'd check out Bugera too, i'm not sure what their pricing is exactly, though.

My vote is for the Randall, grab one used and it will be perfect for you.

I love that amp, for the price it is pretty awesome and often overlooked.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Buy a used Black Heart Handsome Devil, then buy a MXR 10 Band EQ, and a Metal Muff.

Perfect for everything heavy.
Live Rig:
Ibanez Rg 150R w/ Duncan 59s
Marshall JCM2000 TSL60 Head
Mark IV Combo
Marshall 1960a Cab w/ Vintage 30s
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige w/ Duncan 59s
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Currently in Ontario, Canada.

Quote by DSchmitty
Buy a used Black Heart Handsome Devil, then buy a MXR 10 Band EQ, and a Metal Muff.

Perfect for everything heavy.

Not really...
That would cost more than $400 too.
The Handsome Devil isn't even available widely right now, so how would he find one used if they've only been out for a little while?
Using a Metal Muff or MT-2 with a nice tube, won't get you a very nice tube sound either as those pedals are SS.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Quote by digger35
I'm surprised nobody mentioned a used 5150/6505

For $400, its pretty unlikely unless theres something wrong.
But i only look on craigslist, maybe ebay has some deals, but i don't think i'd buy an amp off ebay.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
i don't think hes going to get anything tube for that much money...
the used Bugera or Randall comes close, but that's about it.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
ugmung i see you have cube 60 and you play death metal... is cube 30x the same? and what about the eq of the cube? can you make good adjustments with the stock eq or you'll need to get a eq pedal to get closer to the tone you like? and how is vox with a metal muff pedal? better or worse?
Quote by blind.quardian
ugmung i see you have cube 60 and you play death metal... is cube 30x the same? and what about the eq of the cube? can you make good adjustments with the stock eq or you'll need to get a eq pedal to get closer to the tone you like? and how is vox with a metal muff pedal? better or worse?

the 30x is..well not as loud. lol. and it doesn't have a Presence knob on the onboard EQ. I'm actually getting a cheap EQ pedal just to tweak my tones a little more. I don't know that much about Vox's and how they handle distortion pedals. But you're probably better off buying a Cube because if you run a Distortion pedal like that through an amp like that, it might cause some problems.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Yes ok i like the distortion of the cube and i dont need to get loud but the distortion of the cube doesnt look like anything its just a distortion you know what i mean...i cant say ow this looks like this band's tone... Can an eq pedal really make me feel that im playing at the gates or in flames or children of bodom can i understand what im playing or is it just nobody's tone again?
Quote by blind.quardian
Yes ok i like the distortion of the cube and i dont need to get loud but the distortion of the cube doesnt look like anything its just a distortion you know what i mean...i cant say ow this looks like this band's tone... Can an eq pedal really make me feel that im playing at the gates or in flames or children of bodom can i understand what im playing or is it just nobody's tone again?

i must say that i didn't understand most of what you just wrote, but i'll try to intepret it.

well everything you need is on the Cube for the Distortion, you have Bass, Mid, Treble, Presence, and a Gain knob. most pedals with have like a Level parameter with is just another word for Volume. so you're pretty much set for distortion. you can use an EQ to further tweak your tone, so yes, if you tweak your EQ right you can sound just like whoever you want.

I have a decent At The Gates tone. lol.

It's a great amp, i highly recommend getting one.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
ok sorry for my ****ty telling lol from what i heard when my friend showed me with his cube 20x when he turned the mid for example there was near to no change in the sound like the eq was just there to be there you get what i mean. the eq was useless on its 20x and im afraid of that. if an eq pedal will help thats nice.
Quote by blind.quardian
ok sorry for my ****ty telling lol from what i heard when my friend showed me with his cube 20x when he turned the mid for example there was near to no change in the sound like the eq was just there to be there you get what i mean. the eq was useless on its 20x and im afraid of that. if an eq pedal will help thats nice.

well the 15x and 20x kind of suck, they lack a lot of features compared to the 30x, 60 and Microcube. They don't have the Rectifier setting either, which is something you need in a Cube if you play Death Metal.

aww...
the prices went up on the Cubes. lol.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
My vote goes towards either a used Peavey Valveking 112, or a B-52 AT112. Use the remainder of what you saved for an EQ pedal first (MXR 10-band gets my vote, or to save money, the Danelectro Fish & Chips), THEN go for an overdrive/distortion if it's still not giving you what you're looking for.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by Hakael
My vote goes towards either a used Peavey Valveking 112, or a B-52 AT112. Use the remainder of what you saved for an EQ pedal first (MXR 10-band gets my vote, or to save money, the Danelectro Fish & Chips), THEN go for an overdrive/distortion if it's still not giving you what you're looking for.

a Valveking isn't going to do Death Metal, the B-52 will though.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Quote by ugmung
a Valveking isn't going to do Death Metal, the B-52 will though.

Personally I've heard VK handle some death metal just fine. An EQ does wonders to fine tune the sound, and if it's STILL not enough, an overdrive could easily push it over the edge.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
I'll try the cube 30x.... I already have a micro cube should i buy cube 30x? i use clean and r-fier channels but if i buy a eq to the micro cube can it handle the sound well? lets say i add more bass can it handle with that little speaker?
Personally, I'd go with the Line 6 Flextone II combo.

It's not tube, and it has effects, but it should come with a footcontroller to allow for easy channel changing, and has tons of tones ranging from clean to metal.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I want a somewhat brootal distortion. i listened to line 6 flextone on youtube where it was played with a real mesa boogie and to be quite honest the line 6 sounded better than the mesa AT BEDROOM LEVEL which describes my sound level. What is the best modeller with a good eq and great dist?
Quote by Hakael
Personally I've heard VK handle some death metal just fine. An EQ does wonders to fine tune the sound, and if it's STILL not enough, an overdrive could easily push it over the edge.

+1

Although the VK isn't exactly my favorite amp, within the price constraints given, this may be your best bet.
Fender Standard Stratocaster
BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme (USA Custom Shop)
BC Rich NJ Neck-Thru Series Mockingbird
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
Page 1 of 2